Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snails "jumping" out of tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snails "jumping" out of tank
    Posted: August 08 2012 at 2:59pm
A several weeks ago I did a cleaner crew order and got a bunch of narite snails among other things.  So far my hubby and I have found at least 4 either in the lip of the stand or in the middle of the floor.  One was actually 3 feet from the stand out in the middle of the floor!  Thankfully I've found them all in time and none have died.  But there is another one right at the top of the tank looking like he might want to join the others.  What is going on?  I've moved 3 of the "jumpers" to a closed lid nano to keep them from doing it again after the second time and so far they are acting like normal snails.  I don't want all of the narites up in my nano so how can I keep them in the tank?  Everything seems okay did they just send defective, retarded, or emo snails???  LOL
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 3:37pm

some types of nerites are more prone to that than others, what color are their shells and the "teeth"on their inner shell?

edit- I should also mention nerites in general do leave the water at times since they come from intertidal areas where they naturally are out of the water during low tide, sometimes when they climb out they wait for high tide to let them know the water is back.

Edited by aquablue - August 08 2012 at 3:40pm
29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:02pm
Well I guess that makes sense.  Silly snails don't realize that there is no tide on my carpet... most of the time anyway... LOL

Here is what they look like.  Mostly a black/brown color with a light brown pattern on the swirl of the shell.  The inner part is almost white. 

"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by CrimsRayne CrimsRayne wrote:

A several weeks ago I did a cleaner crew order and got a bunch of narite snails among other things.  So far my hubby and I have found at least 4 either in the lip of the stand or in the middle of the floor.  One was actually 3 feet from the stand out in the middle of the floor!  Thankfully I've found them all in time and none have died.  But there is another one right at the top of the tank looking like he might want to join the others.  What is going on?  I've moved 3 of the "jumpers" to a closed lid nano to keep them from doing it again after the second time and so far they are acting like normal snails.  I don't want all of the narites up in my nano so how can I keep them in the tank?  Everything seems okay did they just send defective, retarded, or emo snails???  LOL

IMO they sent you defective, retarted, and emo snails. Haha JK:PLOL
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 5:05pm

From the picture those are the ones that are usually less prone to full on escaping, but it does happen, in my experience the white and pinkish/reddish ones tend to take dry travel to the extreme, you can also find these guys a week later on the floor and they'll come right out when you drop them back in the tank.

I actually really like these guys in my cube for the dry traveling reasons, they periodically go over the back wall of the cube and clean my refugium chamber, then go back to the front.

29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 5:11pm
Oh I hear that. I've got several of them in the overflow just hanging out.

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 6:53pm
I got some really good "sand cleaners" but i forgot the name of them, but they are light light orangish, and yesterday one was on the out side of the glass. I thought is was dead but nope.
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 1:13am
I've had those same snails before, they all eventually commit suicide, so weird.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 1:03pm
Maybe they just like to be snails?
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 2:01pm
I had 4-5 crawl into the back chamber of my biocube and die. One actually got lodged into the pump intake and made the flow awful for who knows how long. Finally figured it out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic