Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maxi Mini Anenome's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maxi Mini Anenome's
    Posted: August 11 2012 at 11:00am
Does anyone on here have any experience with these guys?  I have a 6 gallon fluval that I was thinking about getting a couple for preferably to host my clowns.  But what I can find on them doesn't sound to promising.  Just wondering what your thoughts are on them in general though.
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 12:35am
I've seen these in several nano's and pico tanks doing just fine, what were you finding that was particularly bad about them?
29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 1:15am
Most clowns wont host in carpet anemones. Stranger things have happened though I wouldn't buy one expecting it to happen
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 2:27am

What? Carpet anemones are the "preferred" anemone of several types of clownfish, including the common ocellaris, the BTA's you often see them hosting in is something they adapted to in absence of a more preferred type of anemone.  A maxi may get less attention from a clown than say a giant carpet anemone but clowns will even host in fuzzy mushrooms or other corals, even ones you might never think they would try if thats all thats available and their hosting instinct has kicked in.

Also tankbred clowns typically won't try hosting in anything until something triggers their instinct.

12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 1:32pm
What I have heard;

1. They won't host clownfish
2. They are fish eaters.
3. Their sting is more potent than a bta or larger carpet anenome.
4. They split regulary.

I'm looking for someone that has had these before and can give me some insight.
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 1:50pm
I have 5 of them and they don't host clown fish. In fact one of my snow flake got eaten by one. They are a very aggressive fish eater!! On the bright side they are so cool to have and look at.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 3:32pm
I knew large carpets were potential fish eaters, the non-hosting thing is news to me. Reef and learn I guess lol.
To be fair though when I first got into the hobby my lfs at the time had several large clowns hosting in carpets, that was my only visual experience with them and the rest was what I read, consider me now revised educated.
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:42am
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:43am
Here is my new Maxi-Mini Anenome.  Sexy shrimp love it!  The clowns have tried it out a couple of times but don't seem to care for it.
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 3:13pm
I had a large carpet and my Clarki loved it...Now I need another carpet cause it died when my aquarium crashed over a year ago
Vipers look cool at a distant, but be careful of the bite..its a killer!

Still to many cool stuff not enough money
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 3:37pm
The one have up for sale hosted two clowns for over a year.
Strees is usually what causes them to split. Not all the time but usually.
My Yellow tang will constantly pick food off the Carpet before he eats it. They will eat fish but they are not super fast at it.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic