Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powder Blue Tang erratic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powder Blue Tang erratic?
    Posted: August 30 2012 at 7:51pm
My powder blue tang has been acting strange the past week.  No environment changes as far as parameters and surroundings go.  I have had him for 4 months now and he appears very healthy color and body wise.  He has been dashing back and forth in the tank this past week and I am wondering when he is going to explode.  Has anyone noticed this behavior before from a tang?  Any suggestions?

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 7:08am
Appears to me like a clear case of territorial aggression from your trigger. I truly believe most tangs need a very large tank to reside in. What size is your tank?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 7:15am
I noticed this behavior when I tried a clown tang in my 120g. It was a very bad move on my part. Seems like your tang is stressed from the tank being too small.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 8:30am
My poweder blue did a similar thing.  He would actually race towards the glass and then turn abruptly and tail swat the relflection of him/her self in the glass. The dang thing would splash water onto the wall!  It happened frequently enough that the wall had water damage!
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 11:29am
My tank is a RSM 250 65 gallon.  I knew the tang would eventually out grow a 65 but not in 4 months.  If he keeps it up I will probably trade him in.  I would like to upgrade but it will be a while.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 9:38am
It didn't take four months to outgrow your tank. Unfortunately, the 65 was too small to begin with. Now he's going crazy!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic