Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need to trade out my maroon clown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to trade out my maroon clown
    Posted: September 05 2012 at 9:00pm
one of my maroon clownfish has been getting his little butt kicked...his fins are looking pretty bad...I fear he may die soon if it continues...I would like to see about getting him into a quarantine tank or something to help him heal or have someone that knows alot about clownfish take a look at him and the other maroon clown and tell me if there is need to be concerned or if it is normal.

I posted a video of them in the tank a little bit ago but here it is again...

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 10:26pm
I don't know a lot about clownfish, but I did do quite a bit of reading before I purchased mine.   A lot of clownfish simply won't get along with another clownfish.  I went the "safe" route and purchased two clownfish at the same time who had been together in the same tank at the LFS.  They get along great.  It isn't healthy behavior for any fish to bite at another's fins.  That is really aggressive behavior, and as far as I know it is one way that a fish will gradually kill another fish.  If no one has yet come to this little guy's rescue, I do have a small 12 gallon frag tank that is well established now and it has no fish in it.  Just corals and a very small cleanup crew.  I'd be willing to take him for awhile and see if his fins can heal up .. but it would be a temporary home as I don't want a permanent fish in my frag tankg.  Also, moving him around a couple of times might be pretty stressful for him, but it sounds like you do need to move him or the other clown soon.
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 9:41am
Thanks Molli, I am buying some water today to fill up our 36 gallon bowfront. I will be putting the little guy in there to see if he will heal up. There are no rocks or fish in that tank yet, just sand. Once he heals up I think I will need to trade him for another clown. Unless someone else out there knows if what is shown on the video is normal behavior for the 2 clowns.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 9:48am
You might want to consider putting a piece of PVC pipe in his tank since it will have no rocks-- a piece large enough for him to be able to swim inside and feel safe when he wants to.
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 9:53am
Sounds good, We have to glue all of the rock that we have to make the reef for that tank...we just want to give him someplace he can feel safe and not picked on...but for all we know the dominance thing going on in the tank is sorting itself out and he will be fine...but again, we have zero clue.
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 9:59am
My female.maroon beat the hell.out.my.my male for 2 weeks. I put another BTA in the opposite corner and it calmed her down and now. They are happy together and my males fins have grown back. Maroons are extremely aggresive
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 10:06am
Originally posted by fdc_guy fdc_guy wrote:

Sounds good, We have to glue all of the rock that we have to make the reef for that tank...we just want to give him someplace he can feel safe and not picked on...but for all we know the dominance thing going on in the tank is sorting itself out and he will be fine...but again, we have zero clue.
I don't have much of a clue either LOL.  But I do think it is possible that this little guy could turn female while he is alone in his new tank.  I don't know how soon the male will decide to change when there are no other females around.  If he changes, your female will never get alone with him.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic