Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help My Anemone isn't right... I think....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help My Anemone isn't right... I think....
    Posted: September 06 2012 at 7:29am
Hello all, I am new to Utah Reefs and hope this is the right spot for this. Last Saturday I bought an Anemone with a Mocha Clown from a LFS. The Anemone has been thriving ( so i thinkg) for the past few days, Its big, open, letting my clown play in it, i feed it and it ate, and waving all over the tank gently. Last night When i looked in my tank it was all shriveled up, had green tips, and some crazy white whole in the middle of it. Again i am new to this site and the SaltWater world. My salt is 1.025, my ph is 8.0-8.1, all levels are good in the tank. My tank is about 3 months old, I started with Live sand, Live water, and about 20ish lbs of live rock. Can someone please help as I have heard if they die they pollute the water! Here are some pics, I even have a video i can attach that shows it healthy! 

So last night when researching i saw people say if its dead to take it out asap and change the water - I did a 10 Gallon water change in my 36 bowfront. I tried to grab the lil guy as i thought it was already dead and it shriveled up more, then let got of the rock it was on and floated to the bottom of my tank, Still looking green and weird i left him over night... This morning he has branched out again and  opened up, he is pink again and looking normal.... Whats going on?

30 second video from Sunday the 2nd

Pictures taken from last night =(

Edited by justchillinuno - September 06 2012 at 7:30am
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:01am
Hmm. From my little experience you are supposed to put anemone's in tanks 6 months old or more. But if he's opened up and looking normal then no need to panic yet. It might be getting used to your system. The shriveled and green is normal when it retracts. The large white thing in the middle is it's mouth and pooper. It being that wide open I'd still keep and eye on it. If it doesn't hunker down and attach somewhere it could very well disappear and die somewhere if it doesn't adjust well to the tank. If it does die (which I'm hoping doesn't happen) wait a few more months to get a new anemone. Then you'll have the task of either figuring out how to get your clown in it or not. But for now, do some extra feeding (of the anemone not the fish) and keep an eye on it. If it starts to look all melty..get it out!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:09am
Did you test your amonia levels?  Your pic looks like you have quite a few fish for such a young tank.  You may need to do some frequent water changes for awhile? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:37am
hydro phoenix - Thank you for the info as I have been stressed out thinking this guy is going to kill off my tank while im at work.  In speaking with my room mate that works from home he said it has done this the other day.  Im going to hope this lil guy is tough and makes it through it. 

Molli -  I have tested the amonia levels there all good in the 20ish i think, I have the following fish that i have gradually added over the past 3 months. Started with my Firefish, then got the Blennie and stripped goby, then got the 3 cardinals, then the emerald crabs and the snails, then the angle fish, then a diamond watch goby, then finally the mocha clown and anemone, Just yesterday i added a cleaner shrimp in my tank for the angle....  I will keep up on doing water changes, im thinking 10-15 gallons every other day. I have a good flow in my tank as i have read that anomone's need good flow. I have fed him a piece of thawed frozen Krill soaked in Garlic Gaurd he disappeared into my rock cliffs for a day then game back out... 

Any other advice would be amazing!

Thanks! 
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:41am
I think your amonia levels are supposed to be zero.  You have a lot of fish in that 36 gal tank.  Could it be possible that your filtration system is unable to keep up?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:54am
My next step is to get a media reactor and change out my filtration.  Currently i have an over the side flow filter with my media bags filtering out the trash, I will look into getting a media reactor in the near future. I dont want anything crazy and over the top so researching is whats taking up my time. 

Also to help with my filtration I have 3 Emerald crabs, about 4 hermit crabs about 6 snails, A tiger pistol shrimp, a cleaner shrimp and a bristle sea star....

Again any help is highly appreciated!

chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 10:12am
Ammonia should be zero!  Way too many fish for such a young and small tank. 
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 10:12am
It could just be disposing its waste or another could just be doing a "water change". It will compress and reinflate while doing it
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 10:47am
Thank all of you for the help, I have a Fluval 405 I am picking up after work and will install tonight. I realize I have a young tank but All the rock, sand, and water came from the same place and live, I was told that doing it that way would reduce the time needed to establish the tank hence why i have so much in there. 

Willrileyiv - Thank you, yesterday night i did see some brownish tube like stuff coming off of it, while doing a water change i sucked it out of the tank, I have not seen any more this morning but I work early and the lights hadn't come on yet. 

Im hoping that the introduction of the canister filter will help bring the levels down and make my tank happy again!
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 12:20pm
As a general rule i try not to add any more than 1 fish per month, stocking to many to quickly dramaticaly increases the bio-load even on established tanks. It would do wonders on your tank to sit back a bit and not stock anything else to give your water chemistry a chance to stabilize. Just my thoughts....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 12:25pm
1stupidpunk - Thank you for the thoughts, I have come to the same conclusion. I think I got a little excited when setting this up and added alot quickly. I am fully planning on not adding anything for a while. On a bright note i just got a 55 gallon w/ stand, 20 gallon w/ stand, and 2 10 gallon's and a 40 gallon tank coffee table for free... so im holding off on adding to this tank until my other tanks are established enough to start moving some of these guys over!

Again thanks everyone for your input as it has HELPED alot!
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 2:32am
Now that you have not followed the "rules " as most say, I had a anemene as a hitch hicker when i added 90 lbs of live rock to a tank that was only 2 weeks old. He did great and split in abount 4 months . Keep an eye on him see where he moves and direct flow to get him where you want him . Some also mess with water parameters to trick anemones to get them to split ! Just my 02 , keep an eye on him and bet you will be fine , if he is eating dont worry . ( try spot feeding him so you know)  I have made major mistakes on my tank and ticked all off and but all live stock survived.
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:23pm
Speaking of sick or dead anenomes....here is a picture of mine taken a few minutes ago.

He has been elusive for the past 2 weeks almost.

willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:25pm
That doesn't look good...:-/
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by fdc_guy fdc_guy wrote:

Speaking of sick or dead anenomes....here is a picture of mine taken a few minutes ago.

He has been elusive for the past 2 weeks almost.

Are you feeding it? Whats your water parameters? Salinty and Temp? Lighting?
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 7:24pm
well we just used our master test kit again to test the levels and here they are

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 160.

So with that being said we did a water change, put in a dose of stress-zyme and a dose of Kent ProBuffer dKH.

I am hoping once we get our sump on friday that we will be able to get the nitrate levels down and keep them there.
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 8:33pm
Oh and I have no idea what my lights are...also my heater is set to 80.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 9:52pm

Ammonia should read 0. I would not feed anything for 3 or 4 days and then cut way down on feeding. Feeding adds to the bio-load, not good for a struggling bio-system. Ammonia will kill long before the animals starve. Get some Prime to help remove ammonia. The cleaner shrimp probably won't fare well with ammonia in the system. What kind of lighting do you have? what are the other the other water parameters?

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 10:04pm
I put all the water stuff that I could test for there already
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by fdc_guy fdc_guy wrote:

well we just used our master test kit again to test the levels and here they are

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 160.

So with that being said we did a water change, put in a dose of stress-zyme and a dose of Kent ProBuffer dKH.

I am hoping once we get our sump on friday that we will be able to get the nitrate levels down and keep them there.
PH is way low should read 8.1-8.3 needs to be brought up SLOWLY, ammonia should read 0, nitrate is way high. Sump may help nitrates but water changes are probably the best way to get nitrates down quickly and other parameters in check. I'm guessing your alkalinity is way low also and needs to be brought up. 80 is on the warm side I would set heater for no more than 76.    
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic