Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SICK POLYS!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SICK POLYS!!!!
    Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:00pm
so these guys have looked like this for a few days now.. not sure what is going on or how to help them.. looks like there is a ball inside them..  help

getting fishy??
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:08pm
I would do an iodine dip. When mine get like that, I do a iodine dip and most the time they are better the next day. Sometimes I have to do 2-3 times (over a few days) to get it to help
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 1:44pm
Not to steal the thread, I have some like that that I haven't done anything to and they have started to get what looks like A little bit of algae on them. Would an iodine dip still be the recommended thing to do? All my other zoas/palys are fine
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 3:32pm
I'd try an iodine dip also, if that doesn't work you can try a vitamin C dip. I don't see any spots in the pic. are there any white, or whitish yellow spots/bumps? How long have these been in the tank?
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 3:58pm
no white bumps.. looks like a few have fallen off though... i did a dip this morning and waiting to see what happens.. i got these from Jackie when she tore down.. maybe two or three weeks... all other zoo's, zoa's, and polys look fine and are open..
getting fishy??
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 4:45pm
What kind of iodine did you use?
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by rize2 rize2 wrote:

Not to steal the thread, I have some like that that I haven't done anything to and they have started to get what looks like A little bit of algae on them. Would an iodine dip still be the recommended thing to do? All my other zoas/palys are fine
 Look into bryopsis that may be what your problem is. Just a guess without seeing a pic.

napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 9:48pm
Try kent lugols iodine. I use it for dipping and its never steered me wrong.

rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:11am
i have the Reef Coral Disinfectant.. 
getting fishy??
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:28am
Just try the lougols (sp) iodine, it has seemed to work for me every time
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 8:34am
My zoas and palys sometimes get slime on them, do a dip but also I will use airline and syphon off the slime. 
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
saltysleeves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltysleeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 6:21pm
I've had a couple colonies do the wasting zoa thing on me.  Totally sucks.  What has worked for me, if caught early: Discontinue any carbon if you are running it (some zoas cannot tolerate it), and get some sodium ascorbate powder (Vitamin C) going at 30ppm.  Whole Foods carries it.  Instructions and calculator for this can be found at:

http://www.saltwatermasters.com/articles/Vitamin-C-Dosing

Couple minor caveats: be aware that vitamin C is also a carbon source, so if you are already carbon dosing the system, you may need to dial back the other carbon source so you don't over do it and cause a cyano outbreak.  Vitamin C is also a strong reducing agent, so it will drop your ORP.  Unless you happen to run ozone, you might consider putting an extra airstone or two in the tank while you are dosing Vit. C to avoid the oxygen saturation dropping extremely low.

Incidentally I have also heard of some folks having success with Furan 2 for all kinds of zoa issues, but have not personally tried it, and it is not reef safe, so you would need to set up a hospital tank.  Good luck!
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 7:13pm
+1 to lugals iodine
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 8:47pm
Hey rwgoose did you post your parameters or did I just miss them. My first thought would be low alk or other levels. Check params and dip as said.
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 9:01pm
ok.. so that first sick group, i dipped them for three days... didn't help.. they all died.. i have a second set that is sick now.... i started to dip today..
just tested tonight..
alk 8.2
cal 420
mag 1300
getting fishy??
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 11:40pm
I would do a Furan 2 dip. Just make sure to rinse with fresh saltwater before placing zoas back in main tank, as Furan 2 is NOT reef safe. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 11:54pm
Anything picking on them? New fish? New crab or shrimp?
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 8:23am
In the picture it kind of looks like there is a starfish on the polyp on the far right
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 8:28am
furan 2 will work
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 4:24pm
the star fish only attached after they were sick.. i will check out the furan 2.. 
getting fishy??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic