Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PREGNANT SHRIMP!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PREGNANT SHRIMP!?
    Posted: September 11 2012 at 6:32pm
My cleaner shrimp has eggs!? I have never seen them before there, but this is them-
If, they are eggs, will they live??? And how did it get them? I mean i am not asking how they are made, but I only have one shrimp. anyone have had this happen?? and if they are eggs, how can i help them survive??
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 7:27pm
Edit - They probably arent fertilized but is there a possibility?
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 8:04pm
No, there's no possibility.  I've read that the females will produce eggs while they are molting.  The eggs will just become food in the tank!
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 8:16pm
We have two cleaner shrimp that fertilize each other's eggs. When it's time to molt they will send out hundreds of tiny shrimp. It's great food for the fish and corals.
125 Mixed Reef
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 10:57pm
That's a good picture.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 11:01pm
Yes, they are eggs I have a pair that spawns regularly. Fertilization takes place when "she" molts so no chance they are fertilized without another shrimp.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 10:09am
Originally posted by dionysus dionysus wrote:

That's a good picture.

Its off the internet... Cant take credit for it:P They are way way to tiny to get a good picture of. And thanks every one
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 9:59am
I was like he needs to take some pictures of my tank damn!
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 6:19pm
Hahaha no i suck at taking pictures, not to mention me failing my photography class in school........ :)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 6:54pm
How do you fail a photography class!? That's was the easiest class at my high school!
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 8:34pm
Its a senoir class (the only one that they had left) and well, the teacher said its the hardest subject inschool. I got cocky thinking how hard can this be? HARD every morning he starts the class with a 30 question quize with lots of dates, french names, ect. and first day we allreadyy had two picture assignments. Anyways, i am not complaining, but its hard and fun..:P
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 9:58pm
Woooow that sucks soo bad. I hate when teachers make the class 10x harder than it needs to be!!
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 10:04am
Definitely..
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 5:07pm
what needs to be done to prevent the babies from being eaten..I also have a preg peppermint?  I also have another.  I have it in a fish breeder net at the time
Vipers look cool at a distant, but be careful of the bite..its a killer!

Still to many cool stuff not enough money
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 6:15am
My cleaners fertilize each other. It was awesome one night watching them crawl on top of my toadstool and just eject their babies into the water. I knew they were fish food but my fiancée was panicking saying to net them. it was awesome to see the feeding frenzy under actinics
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic