Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishyman19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Issues
    Posted: September 19 2012 at 11:18am
Maybe this post doesn't go here, but it kinda maybe has to do with water testing so I figured why not.

I recently purchased a few Zoa frags and a star polyp frag from a guy down here in Orem, who I stop at every now and then cause he has some different types then the norm that I see down here. I got them home acclimated them and got them in the tank, only to have the Star Polyps being the ones that open now three days later. I went and talked to him a yesterday about all the Zoa's being closed up and he said just watch them to see what happens. He said he would replace them if they died. I'm just confused as to why this would happen, the one's I bought from him yesterday are starting to open and all the other corals in my tank are doing great. Or so I thought, I came home last night to get the new ones in and one of my rarer hammer corals is all sunken in. Some of the heads are out, but the majority are sinking back into the skeleton.

I hadn't changed my water up until for about 2 weeks up until this last Sunday. I know it's slacking off from my once a week change, but getting married in two weeks and finishing off the planning has taken a lot of my free time. So on Sunday I got back into the grove and did my usual 5 gallon water change. Didn't get a chance to test the water till last night cause I checked the PH on Sunday and it was low, so I dosed some and got it back up to the normal 8.4 that I have kept it at.
Got around to testing last night with the API Saltwater Masters Test kit and everything came out great but the Nitrates, I can never really read the stupid color test for that one anyways, but I believe it came out to be around between 40-80ppm I think it is. Could this be a reason? I also need to get a new heater in, the one I had been using was making a popping sound when it was on, so I was worried that it was breaking, but I notice only a 3 degree change in temp when the lights go off.

How can I get my nitrates back to the low they need to be at? And should I not worry about the corals? They haven't really started melting down yet so maybe they just need time or something?

Thanks in advance for the help
90 Gallon mixed reef. Wife's 12 gallon nano cube mixed reef!
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 11:35am
You should worry about your corals. I'd highly recommend letting someone else hold onto them until your tank is healthy again.

First please tell us how old this tank is and how you set it up (tank size, lighting, flow, amount of live rock and how long you cycled it for, etc)

Here what I would do.

1. Stop dosing stuff. You are never supposed to dose to increase your ph. Your dosing may actually be the reason why your corals are struggling. Ph is the last thing you should worry about. I haven't checked my ph in over a year.

2. Test your salinity and if possible test it with someone else's equipment too. For a reef tank you should be 1.024-1.026.

3. If your nitrates are that high, stop feeding completely for a few days. Change out all of your filter media. Dirty filter socks and dirty HOB filters are nitrate factories.

4. Invest in test kits for alkalinity and calcium. Test it and please share with us the results. Don't dose anything unless you know what your doing yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 12:03pm
Thanks for the info Billy,

Maybe I will take some samples down to my LFS and have them test it for me today and see what they come up with. 

My tank is probably only about 7 and a half months old. It's a 56 gallon cube thing, I have a compact light I had to special order for the weird tank size. It has the Metal Halide in the middle then 4 T5s two on each side. I run the MH light for 8 hours from 12-8. For flow I have a Koralia 550 aimed at the surface for water movement and a Vortech MP 10 in the middle for flow for the whole tank. Works awesome. I have 120lbs of live rock in the tank and I let it cycle for a month. The overflow box that i use is the Eshopps overflow box. It came with a couple sponges that you put in the box and I actually did clean both of those on the last water change..I the big one every time I do a water change, and I had forgotten about the smaller one till this last week but I cleaned that one as well this last time. When I took it out though I noticed large chunks of either food or algae or something being sucked up. Could that be a reason why my nitrates are spiking? I change out the filter sock each weak as well. How do you clean yours? I put my in the washing machine by themselves. Don't know if that's the best. I've also noticed that my sump has more particles at the bottom then it used to have. Is that normal? My skimmer is rated for a 200 gallon and seems to be doing a great job.

I do have a test kit that does Alkalinity and Calcium. Just haven't done that in a while, because I was told it wasn't needed.. I will do that today as well and let you know how all the tests turn out.

And it's only the new corals that are having issues, well and the one hammer. All the other corals look great and have really nice growth...Probably need to learn how to frag stuff soon. I don't mean to sound like a punk sorry if I do, but wouldn't everything be having issues if I had a serious problem? Fish are all doing awesome and I have noticed a few snails dying, but the Hermits and My sexy shrimp, Porcelain crabs, and Harlequin Shrimp seem to all be doing fine.

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 1:31pm
Best of luck to you man sounds like your equipment is appropriate so you're having water quality issues right now. Your older corals might be doing ok because they are already acclimated to the high nitrate conditions whereas the new corals received a shock when they were introduced. Also, whoever told you alkalinity and calcium testing isn't important is very very wrong. Keeping cal and ALK within an appropriate range AND keeping it very stable is a major part of reefkeeping. It will not only keep your corals puffed out and happy but will make them grow.

As far as filter socks I'm forced to clean mine out every 4 days because they overflow. The buildup on the bottom of your sump is also not good. It's decaying material that is definitely leeching nitrates into your water. Another question is, how are your phosphate levels?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 2:24pm
Just gotta love the random issues that come up don't ya? Well I will do what I can t get those levels down. As far as I know my phosphate levels are correct. I have a reactor that has some material in it that for the life of me I can't think of the name. It lasts about 3 months and I can always tell when I need to replace it cause I will get a small Cyano break out when it's done.

Well I will start testing Cal and ALK again during my weekly water changes. Do you think it would be better then to do my water changes from the sump instead of the display tank so I can suck up that decaying material better?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 10:30am
So I took some water samples down to reef runners last night and had him test a few things. John tested Magnesium, Calcium, Alkalinity  and my Salinity.

Cal, ALK and Salinity all tested a little high. Magnesium tested on the low side of normal range, but he said that was ok. He gave me some tips on things to do for my next water change this weekend to help get those back down and hopefully on the right track. Nothing really moves quickly in this hobby when it come to water quality. I'm gonna do what he told me for a week or two then take another water sample in to him to get another second opinion. Hopefully it all works itself out.

Thanks for the help Billy and I'm sure I will be asking more questions in the future lol.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 11:24am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

You should worry about your corals. I'd highly recommend letting someone else hold onto them until your tank is healthy again.

First please tell us how old this tank is and how you set it up (tank size, lighting, flow, amount of live rock and how long you cycled it for, etc)

Here what I would do.

1. Stop dosing stuff. You are never supposed to dose to increase your ph. Your dosing may actually be the reason why your corals are struggling. Ph is the last thing you should worry about. I haven't checked my ph in over a year.

2. Test your salinity and if possible test it with someone else's equipment too. For a reef tank you should be 1.024-1.026.

3. If your nitrates are that high, stop feeding completely for a few days. Change out all of your filter media. Dirty filter socks and dirty HOB filters are nitrate factories.

4. Invest in test kits for alkalinity and calcium. Test it and please share with us the results. Don't dose anything unless you know what your doing yet.

Billy will not lead you wrong.  Listen to his advise.  One of the best tanks I've seen and some really great coral.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 11:07am
So here is an update on the issue with the corals. I've been doing what Billy has been suggesting and everything seems to be slowly getting back on track. I lost one of my Wrasses(leopard) which makes me sad, as well as a really nice Hammer Coral...and a bunch of Zoa colonies that I picked up from this one store. Kinda makes me sad cause everything was good and nice until I put in the Coral from this one store. So I think after I get the replacement ones from him, I probably won't be going back for anything else.

Do different kinds of Zoa's do better then others in certain areas though? I have 2 colonies from him right now that are just doing awesome, and the more expensive ones are the ones that crashed and burned.

Also just got back from my Honeymoon and my buddy did a great job watching over everything. Was kinda worried. Need to get a controller so I know whats going on lol.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 3:59pm
Billy's advice was spot-on. And, for future reference, green star polyps are usually the canary in the mineshaft for salinity issues.

Originally posted by fishyman19 fishyman19 wrote:

So I think after I get the replacement ones from him, I probably won't be going back for anything else.

I hope you'll reconsider this as it was your tank with the issues - not his corals. Warranties on corals are practically unheard of in the hobby. If he was willing to bend over backwards and replace your corals, then I hope you would continue to support him. Just my $0.02.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 12:48pm
Nikki hit this right on the head. You are blaming the store for issues that were 100% your fault. Thumbs Down

And, even worse, the store is going above and beyond by offering to replace the corals (!)

Sounds like a store that I would keep patronizing. For sure!

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 3:14pm
I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how this is a hundred percent my fault. Yes my water quality was bad, but nothing went downhill until his coral was put in. and of all the coral that I bought from him 3 did survive and are doing great.

I have bought several from him though that all died within a few days. Everything in my tank coral and fish wise is thriving and doing great! So i blame the stores coral. Yes he did get me some new ones...which half of them died as well. He also lost most of his stock to coral die off problems. So go ahead and keep telling me it's my fault. Cause I'm pretty sure my water quality issues are what wiped out some of the coral in his frag tank too.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 3:27pm
OK, now you have added some information you did not post before, about the store having problems with corals in the store as well - so then not 100% your fault after all. Maybe even not your fault at all.

My bad.

But, no need for the sarcasm.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by fishyman19 fishyman19 wrote:

He also lost most of his stock to coral die off problems. 
This is the first I've seen this fact in your thread.  I think if you had introduced it earlier, people's analysis may have been very different.  At first it seemed that you may have had an unhealthy tank, but that your own livestock may have gradually gotten used to it.  But when introducing new livestock it couldn't handle what was going on in your tank.  But now it does look like there was something wrong with the corals you recently purchased if the LFS has also lost most of his corals.  I hope the LFS figures out what went wrong!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 3:40pm
I guess I should have been more clear in the original post. When I went back to go see if he would get me new ones, he did mention he was having issues and lost a lot of his stuff as well.

Some of the things I picked up from him did quite well actually and I was surprised that some of the zoas on the same rock lived while others died in a few days.  I do agree after going through my testing that my nitrates were a little high but that is being taken care of. Billy's post helped me out a ton!

Things have been moved around and taken care of and they seem to slowly but surely be getting back on track.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 3:48pm
As stated above, yes, it sounded like it was your tank with the problem, not his. It's too bad both of you were having issues.

My guess is that the zoanthids may have had zoa-pox or some other fungal infection that was spread to your tank (quite common and easy to treat.) When the zoanthids were moved, it stressed them, and being introduced to a poor water quality environment further stressed them...leading to the losses.

It's too bad on everyone's part, but if I were you, I still wouldn't hold a grudge against the seller. There are several hundred known coral parasites, and dozens of coral diseases...and we know more about other planets than we do about what's in our ocean. There's no possible way for any aquarist (or even seller) to know what pests/diseases they have. Now that the seller knows he has a problem, if he choses to neglect the problem rather than correct it, then that's when I'd go elsewhere.

Glad to hear things are getting back on track. If you continue to have a problem with just the zoanthids, I'd look into zoa-pox and Furan-2.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 3:53pm
Curious what you are using to adjust PH. I love a stable PH of 8.2 but I've never been a huge fan of chasing PH levels. I also doubt introducing some corals (particularly Zoas) would cause the death of your wrasse. I believe you mentioned "higher end" corals. This generally means care levels are much higher (clean water, proper chem levels, adequate lighting....) Perhaps his and your corals just didn't acclimate well. I'd be willing to swing by some time and see if anything comes to mind in person. Good luck.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic