Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pumping Zena?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pumping Zena?
    Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:27pm
My Dad Got me a pumping Zena for Easter.. Now did i spell it right? Are they Harty? Thanks!
Go 4x4 It!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:31pm

Yes Xenia is very easy to keep.  Give it lots of light and that is it.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 9:19pm
Way too easy to keep, as a matter of fact hard to get rid of. A great starter coral but when picking a spot for it make sure it is on a rock pedistal, you don't want it to spread, unless you just want a tank full of xenia.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 9:36pm
Xenia is a great coral for beginners.  I found that mine would tell me when I had problems with alkalinity.  I think you'll find that some people consider it kind of a "weed" in the coral "garden."  If that makes sense...  
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Arcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 12:16pm
It is on its own rock.. Umm Who will it Spred? Will it get bad? Its cool lookin but i dont want them all over
Go 4x4 It!
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 11:49pm
As they grow they tend to want to stretch out and stick to a nearby rock or even algae. With the new foot they become a new colony. If you start with one you pretty soon have two and two becomes four and four becomes eight and......... Try to isolate the rock. Don't let that rock near other rocks, and it will grow all over that rock and no other.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 12:18am
Xenia is a cool coral. I have personally never had a problem keeping it contained to one area. just keep an eye on it. Are you doing mostly soft corals in your tank?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Arcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 9:28am

Well So fare Yes, I will probily get some hard ones.. Why u ask?

Go 4x4 It!
Arcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 7:49am
I Got that Pumping Zena. I found one of his Tenicals Laying on the Ground? Now do they just brake off and flote to a diff spot?
Go 4x4 It!
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 3:05pm
Just for an exapmle of how it spreads I had some xenia in my tank last year I took it all out in august when I moved to a 46 bow and I mean scrubed with a toothbrush took it out. as of last night it has grown back to 7 polyps
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Arcar Arcar wrote:

My Dad Got me a pumping Zena for Easter.. Thanks!

Dads are great. My dad took care of my 10 gal freshwater tank while I was in Australia for two years. I came back to a nice looking tank and some of the same fish I had when I left. Love ya Dad.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:22am

Arcar,

It's referred to as xenia with an X. Also, I believe that it's generally referred to as pulsing, but I guess pumping may also be correct.

Xenia is a fantastic beginner coral. It's neat to watch. I had X. Elongata until it ticked off my RBTA who crossed all the way accross my 125 to kill it. I was glad that I had the free space because it IS a weed under the right conditions, but now I kind of miss it.

You can find plenty of reading material regarding xenia on the web saying to do this and that including iodine baths, but like most people have already said... It will usually do fine on its own.

Just give it room to spread, because it will eventually. If you don't like it in a certain spot, it is easily scraped off and/or fragged.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:20pm

A neat thing about xenia is that there are lots of different varieties.  Some have a trunk like a tree when they get big, and others just spread out kind of like crab grass.  Lots of different colors, and you can get different kinds by coming to the WMAS meetings and trading coral or buying frags from others.  It's pretty cool.  We might have some to bring to the next meeting.

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 9:56am
I'm guessing that a fish ripped the hand off of the xenia. Thats another way that it spreads.
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:18am

Again Im going to agree with weimers on this one you can get some really cool looking xenia like the true blue on the following website

http://www.aquacon.com/saltwater_reef_corals.html.htm

its in the middle alomost under the catagory polyp coral

but my hatered of the xenia that wont die has not been smothered any

All I do is fly planes and look at this stupid website.

Admit you have a problem
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:27am

you can get some really cool looking xenia like the true blue on the following website

Don't buy that.  It is just regular xenia that will go brown in your tank.  Trust me on this one.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Simple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 3:38pm

Hello everyone,

Originally posted by Aquacon.com Aquacon.com wrote:

Since it is non-photosynthetic, no direct food is required.

An interesting piece of advice. I assumed it was a typo until they repeated it.

Did anyone else notice that their "super colored long tentacle anemone" is super white?

Is it possible to dye xenia blue the same way less reputable dealers dye anemones bright yellow?

Oh ya, and IMO pulsing xenia is one of the coolest corals we can keep in our tanks.

Thanks,

Chris

Ascultã tot, dar nu crede tot.

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic