Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FNG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Utard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FNG
    Posted: September 25 2012 at 2:06pm
Hello

I am planning on setting up a tank soon. I had a non sump 65 gal about a decade ago. So I have a small amount of experience. I will be getting a 120 gallon with sump tank. Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggested changes on the things I plan on getting.

120 gallon Aqueon 24 x 24 x 48 tank with dual overflows

Eheim 1262 Pump 900 GPH

2 Eheim Jager 300 Watt heaters

Coralife Turbo Twist 6X UV Sterilizer - 18 Watt

1 Neptune Apex

1 ProFlex model 4 Sump (30 gal)

4 Koralia Evolution 1400 GPH Power heads with wave controller

SpectraPure® MAXCAP® RO/DI™ 90 GPD 10"

A skimmer of some sort

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt 175 Gallon

Deep Sand Bed

150 lbs live rock

Some sort of algae refugium

This will be a mostly zoa tank with some SPS and very few LPS. 

As for fish the plan will be one bigger reef safe fish and lots of smaller ones.

Undecided on lights but I do not plan on using metal halide.

It will be in a basement with summer temp 76-78 winter 65-67.

Thanks
    Mark

Edited by Utard - September 27 2012 at 8:54pm
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 2:28pm

If you don't have a whole house generator, I'd suggest you get a battery backup to plug in a few of your essential items for your tank.  That's about all I can suggest since I'm so new to this hobby.  Having lived with a contractor accidentally cutting my power supply to my house a few weeks ago Cry and making him immediately get a generator for me until power was restored, I am now prepared with battery backups for my tank until I decide to spend the money for a whole house generator!

Utard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 2:32pm
That was my whole purpose of using 2 pumps and 2 heaters. Only on of each will be on a battery backup. That way I will have a lot more time on the batterys with a smaller heater and pump. Plus it will act as a back up if one of them ever fails.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 4:42pm
hehehe FNG

Sounds like your equipment list is thought out and organized. I would recommend you invest the money into a good skimmer.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 5:06pm
That UV is bigger then you would want.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Utard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 5:27pm
What are some things I can do to help limit sound? The tank will be close to the Home Theater/TV.

One thing I was thinking was to put a full glass cover over the tank. But I was wondering would this inhibit O2 penetration into the water.

The other thing I was thinking was to put the sump on some thin high density foam or rubber. I thought this might help with pump vibrations?
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 6:14pm
herbie overflow hands down, dead silent. 
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Utard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 6:18pm
I was planning on getting an aqueon with the overflows installed.

Looks like this.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 7:15pm
What are you using for flow other than the return pumps? Will yourtank be on a main level or basement? I have the same footprint 150g in my basement, and I'm running 800w of heaters in my basement. Also, battery backups won't do much for heaters unless you drop serious cash...which ends up being about the same cost as a generator. We have all our equipment under a stand/canopy, and it is not very noisy. We have foam under our internal pump though.
Utard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 7:24pm
It will be in a basement with summer temp 76-78 winter 65-67.

I do have a generator if needed. I was thinking a battery back up would be good for a half and hour or so.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 4:30pm
Our basement runs about the same temps. Granted, I have a bit more water volume than you, but don't be surprised if you need more heaters.

And...a half hour won't buy you much. Power outages less than 4 hours won't do much (typically...depends on bioload, temps, etc.) After 4 hours is where things get critical due to low oxygen in the water. And...if the tank is in the basement, I'd be prepared to run a heater somehow for a few days. Since you have a generator, I'd say you're covered.
Utard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 3:55pm
Well as suggestions came in I made some changes to the first page. Anyone else have anything more before I start to buy stuff?

I am going to be getting the stand soon so I can repaint first then I will be getting the other stuff.

Edited by Utard - September 27 2012 at 3:56pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 4:23pm
I wouldn't go with a 90GPD as they aren't as efficient as 75GPD, and they generally cost more & and are harder to find.

I also wouldn't go with the 0.5 ug sediment filters. They clog rather quickly.

I'd go with a 4-stage system (5 ug sediment, 5 or 1 ug (or 0.6 ug) carbon, 75GPD membrane, DI). But, I'd get a pressure gauge and in-line TDS meter. You'll get more life out of the filters that way. BulkReef sells them for $170 (less if you do a group buy with the club like we do pretty often.)
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 6:48pm
bulk reef is the best place to buy ro anything! a herbie is a type on drain that goes into your built in overflows fyi. 
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 2:29am
If your going to run a refugium I would get as big of a sump as you can . With your tank dimensions if your pumps stop and it drains 2" from the display that will put 10 gallons of water in your sump by itself. which will limit the size of your fuge to whatever is left over or you could over flow your sump . Thats just my opinion.... And welcome and good luck !!!!!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 8:30am
As usual, everybody has their own opinion. With that said- here's mine. 
 *The bigger the tank the better. It's less expensive than upgrading a year down the road.
 *In my 18 years in the hobby, I've used a UV sterilizer for about six months. I have no plans to use one in
   the future either.
 *I share the same sentiments as Nikki (ReefdUp) on the RO and heaters. We run three 250W heaters and 
   have a fourth on standby for those cold winter months. (Of our 400G total water volume, about 125G 
   reside in the garage). I also use the 75G per day membrane.
 *I have never been a fan of deep sand beds (4+ inches). I love the crystal clean look of our 3-4" sand bed
   and it is bursting with life.
 *Good skimmers are a must. Big skimmers are very beneficial. Both= priceless! 
 *I love my vortech's. If budget allows, consider dumping all the extra power heads and running a MP40 or 
   two MP20's.
 *While refugiums are nice (and we also have one incorporated into our system) they are mainly a safe 
   haven for good bugs. To substantially reduce your pollution levels, they have to be much larger than
   most of the set ups I have seen. I still suggest one, at any size.
 *While I too may go LED's some day, I love my Halides!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic