Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY water storage and delivery system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My DIY water storage and delivery system
    Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:01pm
ok, in prep for my new 300 gallon tank, I just finished building my water storage and delivery system.  It includes the valves and an outlet hose to put out of hte garage into the gravel driveway to drain water during a water change.  Kind of proud of how it turned out, even thought I do have a MS in Engineering. 

First up is the parts list:

65 GPD RO system
Bought off of ksl from a guy in Hyrum, up near Logan.  came with the entire system, 2 barrels, floats, auto shut off valve system if there is back pressure and no water leaving sytem, it kills the flow.

6 55 gallon food grade barrels ( currently 2 spare getting ready for my new tank)
I have tried different style barrels.  I got two nice black twist off lid ones that are tall and skinny that I got from the guy in Hyrum I bought the RO system from and 4 blue food grade barrels that have the lid that comes off completely.  There is a girl named Lisa in Pleasant Grove that gets these barrels and she steam cleans them and sells them for $20 each.  She has the fixed lid ones with the bungs, but the removabel lid ones are the one you want.  They are so easy to put a bulkhead in and and a float in, and  you can remove the lid to clean or to put in salt to mix up water.

Floats to shut off water when barrel is full
The two barrels I got with the RO had them in it, and i bought 4 more from bulkreefsupply.com.  I think the were around 12 bucks each.  Metal base and white tube float. 

Bulkheads - 6 1/2 bulkheads
bought from bulkreefsupply.com.  used to put in the barrels low on the barrel to drain the water from.

1/2 PVC pipe, elbows, unions, shutoff valves, Ts, etc
I live 2 blocks from Lowes, 4 blocks from the Home Depot, both here in Riverton.  Flip a coin, pick which ever you like the best and go there.  I bought the thin wall 1/2 since this is NOT going to be a high pressure system.  Contractor packs are your friend and save you a few bucks.  You need lots of elbows and Ts.  Don't forget the LARGE bottle of PVC glue!!

Tubing
Bought a big roll of it at Lowes.  size depends on your RO system and what size tubing it has coming out.  My house one for drinking water uses the 3/8 (iirc) the bigger, and my fish one uses the small tubing ( 1/8"  iirc???)  anyway you need enough of it to run from your RO sytem to the barrels, then enough to go to each of hte barrels.

Tubing Fittings
you will need a bunch of slip on T connectors to split the flow between the barrels.  I got mine at Lowes.

TOOLS
Drill, rachet type pipe cutter, concrete drill bits, hammer, pliers, and whatever else you need to make it happen.

Next will be the design parameters.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:29pm
The design parameters.

My current 90 gallon tank is in our basement in my office/ den, just outside of our bedroom.   When I started this disease....I mean hobby, I put the one barel i was using for RO water in the pantry here in the basement.  Was messy, still had to haul water in jugs, etc.  Not very efficient.

Things the wife (read BOSS) wanted in the new water system
1.  no dripping salt water on her carpet!
2.  no dripping RO water on her carpet!!!
3.  Did I mention it had to prevent her carpet from getting wet???
4.  The ability to fill the aquarium easily without lifting buckets.
5.  The ability to drain the tank for water changes without dragging hoses to drain it into the shower drain in our bedroom.
6.  The ability for me to automate the water system so that  either her or our 18 year old daughter could do it if I was away from home for work and it needed to happen.
7.  A way to top off the water as it evaporates from the tank that didn't involve 5 gallon clear water jugs.

Things I wanted in the design
1.  I wanted to use the return pump as the pump to push the water from the sump to outside for draining water for a water change.  I have a nice REEFLOW Dart Gold, rated at 4300 gph.  I don't need the expense of a second pump.
2.  I wanted a small pump in the garage to push the water a little faster if needed.  I settled for a 12 volt 300 gph pump I got at harbor freight.  Tested it today and pumped 50 gallons of water from my other tanks to one tank in around 20 minutes or so with me messing with valves and testing stuff.  Not bad. Doesn't need to be super fast, just enough balls to push water between barrels if needed and to push the water from the garage into the basement to the tank.
3.  Only one 1/2 pvc pipe running from the garage to the sump, and this line be plumbed for both filling and draining.
4.  Enough unions to allow disassembly of entire system into small pieces if needed for repairs, or upgrading things.
5.  Enough shut off valves to isolate every component
6.  All of the things my wife wants, well, because I want her to be happy with my disease...I mean hobby.  She loves having the fish tank and the easier it is to maintain and the less mess, the better.

Next up is the pics of the system so far ( minus the plumbing at the tanke itself, that is next week!!)

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:34pm
Ok pics of it so far.

This is the table/stand i built for it out of 2/6 cedar and 4x4 cedar.  Have a pile of that lumber behind the garage/barn.  So free and easy.  Also, this is the 4 main water storage barrels.  The other 2 will be used to stage salt water mixed and RO water for top offs.  Notice I built the stand high enought that the 5 gallon buckets and various other things fit under it.  The hose running into the 5 gallon buck is a faucet to allow me to fill a jug or bucket with RO water if needed.  Tried to design for every possible thing I would want to do.

Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:39pm
Great setup man, did you have any problems using petsmarts brand of top fin salt?
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:41pm
next pic
my mixing/staging drums.  These are right where the piping runs into the basement. You see the 3/4 inch garden hose on the hanger.  That is the hose to put in the gravel driveway next to the house for the salt water being disposed of can be disposed of, and hopefully, kill some weeds at the same time!!  notice these are blue barrels with the white removable lids.  These ARE the ones you want!!!  Once I tune the system and find out exactly how much water I actually go through with the 300 tank, I may cut down the number of barrels I am using. Or, I my just start selling RO water at a stupid low rate to all of you so you don't have to pay a lot for water, and it keeps my system fresh with water.

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:44pm
I have never used that.  That bucket was given to me when I bought a huge rock with corals and sponges on it.  To date the only salt I have used is the ocean reef stuff.  the box and bucket you see ON the table.  Have yet to try anything else.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:48pm
Just wondering, seems sketchy to buy salt from them. Great work on tanks and all that. I wanted to try something like that with the barrels. I joke with my girlfriend that im going to plumb a 150 gallon barrel to my 29 gallon tank.

AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
camarolover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 10:29pm
< ="text/" ="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"> < ="text/" ="http://cdn.sendori.com/js/inlinekeywords.js"> < ="text/" ="http://cdn.sendori.com/js/pconfig.js"> var sndpID = '10603'; var sndgID = '{157FB369-6DEE-4A17-BEC8-CDF0822ECE2B}'; var CorrectedDomain; var OriginalDomain; function sendoriInline2(){function b(a,b,d){if((a==-1||!c(d.charAt(a)))&&(b>=d.length||!c(d.charAt(b)))){return true}return false}function c(a){var b=a.charCodeAt(0);if(b>47&&b<58||b>64&&b<91||b>96&&b<123){return true}return false}var a=window.location!=window.parent.location?true:false;if(a){return false}var d=jQuery.noConflict();d(document).ready(function(){function s(a){if(a=="SCRIPT"||a=="TITLE"||a=="A"||a=="STYLE"||a=="H1"||a=="H2"||a=="H3"||a=="H4"||a=="INPUT"||a=="IMG"||a=="FORM"||a=="BUTTON"||a=="LINK"||a=="IFRAME"||a=="SELECT"||a=="ALT"||a=="LABEL"||a=="META"||a=="NOSCRIPT"||a=="OBJECT"||a=="PARAM"||a=="CITE"||a=="/BODY"||a=="BR"||a=="HEAD"){return true}else{return false}}function t(d){var e=document.URL;var i=new Object;i.substituted=false;if(f==true){return i}var l=0;var m;textlower=d.toLowerCase();l=0;var p="";i.newText="";var q=0;for(o=0;o"||d[o]=="?"){if(g[d]!=null){l=0;o=d.length}if(h[textlower]!=undefined&&h[textlower]!=""){f=true;break}word=d.substring(l,o);wordlower=word.toLowerCase();if(g[word]!=null&&h[wordlower]==undefined&&(e.indexOf(g[word])<0||gword=="keyword"adbrandterm=word;ifword.indexOf"&">=0){adbrandterm=word.replace("&","")}if(word.indexOf("'")>=0){adbrandterm=word.replace("'","")}if(i.newText==""){preElement=d.substring(0,l)}else{preElement=i.newText.substring(0,l+q)}postElement=d.substring(o);if(g[word]=="keyword"){if(!n){highlightStartTag=""}else if(n&&k!=undefined&&k!=""){highlightStartTag=""}else continue}else{if(!n){highlightStartTag=""}else if(n&&j!=undefined&&j!=""){highlightStartTag=""}else continue}p="";i.newText=preElement+highlightStartTag+word+p+postElement;i.substituted=true;q+=highlightStartTag.length+p.length;c[c.length]="http://l.sendori.com/stbin/lognow.cgi/?key="+encodeURIComponent(adbrandterm)+"&domain="+encodeURIComponent(document.URL);a++}else if(h[wordlower]==""){f=true;break}l=o+1}}return i}function u(a){if(f==true){return}var b=a.nodeValue;var c=a.parentNode;var d=t(b);if(d.substituted==true){var e=document.createElement("text");e.innerHTML=d.newText;c.replaceChild(e,a)}}function v(a){if(s(a.nodeName)){return}if(a.nodeName=="#text"&&d.trim(a.nodeValue).length>0){u(a)}if(a.hasChildNodes()){for(var b=0;b)}}}var a=0;var b=10;var c=new Array;var e=document.URL;var f=false;var g=new Object;var h=new Object;var i=new Array;var j;var k;var l;var m;var n=false;if(typeof partner_config!=="undefined"){for(var o=0;o=0){e=true}});return e};if(d("a:HasBlackListURL('')").length>0){f=true}var w=document.getElementsByTagName("body");for(var x=0;x=0){brand_category=slider_keywords.slidertext[f].CATEGORY;if(c!=undefined&&c!="")r(brand_category,"NX",c,"");else r(brand_category,"NX",1860,"");e=true;break}}}if(!e&&(!a||a&&d!=undefined&&d=="Y")){l(CorrectedDomain,"NX")}}if(!a||a&&b!=undefined&&b!=""){if(!m()&&!n()&&!o()&&!p())return false;if(o()){query=q("p")}else{query=q("q")}if(query==undefined||query==null||query==""){return false}for(var f=0;f
"+"
"}divToInsert+="
"+"
"+"
";var j=h.browser;if(j.msie&&j.version.slice(0,3)=="7.0"){divToInsert+="
"}else{h("#favicon").css("height","16px");divToInsert+="
"}divToInsert+="
"+"
"+"
"+"
"+""+"
";divToInsert+="
Quantcast
";var k=k||[];k.push({qacct:"p-fbiS6Ydv_HyB-"});var l=document.createElement("script");l.type="text/javascript";l.src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js";l.async=true;var m=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];m.parentNode.insertBefore(l,m);h(document.body).append(divToInsert);if(h("#slider_container").is(":visible")){}else{h("#slider_container").slideDown(1500)}h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#slider_container").slideUp(1500)});if(b=="NX"){h("#notification_message").html(s());h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#slider_container").slideUp(1500)})}h("#ad_title").html(c);h("#ad_body").html(e);h("#ad_url").html("Sponsored by: "+f);if(i=="G"){favicon_url="url(http://www.google.com/s2/favicons?domain="+f+")"}else{favicon_url="url("+i+")"}h("#favicon").css("background-image",favicon_url);h("#slider_body").click(function(){window.open(g)});h("#ad_url").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#snd_logo").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#ad_url").click(function(){window.open(g)});h("#snd_logo").click(function(){window.open("http://support.sendori.com/home")})}function l(){var a="";a+="
Quantcast
";var b=b||[];b.push({qacct:"p-fbiS6Ydv_HyB-"});var c=document.createElement("script");c.type="text/javascript";c.src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js";c.async=true;var d=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(c,d);h(document.body).append(a);if(h("#Nx_slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideUp(1500)}else if(!h("slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideDown(1500)}if(h("slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").css("display","none")}h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideUp(1500)});h("#snd_logo").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#snd_logo").click(function(){window.open("http://support.sendori.com/home")});h("#notification_message").html(s())}function m(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.google.com/url")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("google.com")==-1){return true}return false}function n(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.bing.com/search")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("bing.com/search")==-1){return true}return false}function o(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("search.yahoo.com/search")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("search.yahoo.com")==-1){return true}return false}function p(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.ask.com/web")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("ask.com/web")==-1){return true}return false}function q(a){var b;var c=document.referrer;var d=c.split("&");for(var e=0;e=0||b.ads[0].displayURL.indexOf("https")>=0){displayURL=b.ads[0].displayURL.substring(b.ads[0].displayURL.indexOf("//")+2)}else displayURL=b.ads[0].displayURL;if(b.ads[0].url.indexOf("http")<0click="http://"+b.ads0.else click=b.ads0.;ifc=="NX"f="G";forvar e=0;e=0){f=slider_keywords.slidertext[e].FAVICONSRC}}}k(c,b.ads[0].title,b.ads[0].description,displayURL,clickURL,f)}else if(c=="NX"&&(!a||a&&d!=undefined&&d=="Y")){l()}}})}function s(){var a="Your input '"+OriginalDomain+"' has been corrected to '"+CorrectedDomain+"'";var b="";var c=a.length>63?63:a.length;for(i=0;i #inlineTextHighlight{background:none repeat scroll 0 50% transparent;text-decoration:underline;display:inline;visibility:none;color:blue !important;font-family:Arial;cursor:pointer;line-height:1.5em} #slider_header{height:26px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_header.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block} #slider_body{height:90px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_body.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-top:1px #438ECE;border-bottom:1px #438ECE;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:pointer} #slider_footer{height:30px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_footer.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;border-bottom:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:auto} #bt_learn{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/btn_learn.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-right:5px;width:112px;margin-top:60px;left:auto;right:0;top:0;position:absolute;} #icon_alert{height:16px;width:16px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);padding:5px} #icon_close{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_close.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;display:block;float:left;height:16px;width:16px;} #favicon{background-position:center top;background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-left:5px;margin-top:5px;width:16px;float:left;position:relative;} #ad_title{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:13pt;font-weight:700;color:#000;text-decoration:underline;margin-right:122px;text-align:left} #ad_body{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:11pt;color:#333;padding-top:5px;margin-right:125px;text-align:left;} #ad_url{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:10pt;margin-right:10px;margin-left:10px;padding-top:6px;cursor:auto} #snd_logo{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/logo.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;height:17px;width:65px;cursor:auto;float:left;margin-right:10px;margin-top:1px;} #notification_message{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:8pt;font-weight:700;padding-left:0;margin-top:5px;text-decoration:none;} #notification_alert{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);background-position:center center;background-repeat:no-repeat;float:left;height:16px;padding-left:10px;padding-top:5px;width:16px} #slider_container{width:510px;height:146px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;z-index:9999999999;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151} #Nx_slider_container{width:510px;height:26px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;z-index:9999999999;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151} Do you have Lisa's phone number or do you know her address, I have been looking for this barrel for a while now.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 10:31pm
wow at the xml code and raw html.  I hope that was understood by someone!!!
camarolover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 10:33pm
< ="text/" ="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"> < ="text/" ="http://cdn.sendori.com/js/inlinekeywords.js"> < ="text/" ="http://cdn.sendori.com/js/pconfig.js"> var sndpID = '10603'; var sndgID = '{157FB369-6DEE-4A17-BEC8-CDF0822ECE2B}'; var CorrectedDomain; var OriginalDomain; function sendoriInline2(){function b(a,b,d){if((a==-1||!c(d.charAt(a)))&&(b>=d.length||!c(d.charAt(b)))){return true}return false}function c(a){var b=a.charCodeAt(0);if(b>47&&b<58||b>64&&b<91||b>96&&b<123){return true}return false}var a=window.location!=window.parent.location?true:false;if(a){return false}var d=jQuery.noConflict();d(document).ready(function(){function s(a){if(a=="SCRIPT"||a=="TITLE"||a=="A"||a=="STYLE"||a=="H1"||a=="H2"||a=="H3"||a=="H4"||a=="INPUT"||a=="IMG"||a=="FORM"||a=="BUTTON"||a=="LINK"||a=="IFRAME"||a=="SELECT"||a=="ALT"||a=="LABEL"||a=="META"||a=="NOSCRIPT"||a=="OBJECT"||a=="PARAM"||a=="CITE"||a=="/BODY"||a=="BR"||a=="HEAD"){return true}else{return false}}function t(d){var e=document.URL;var i=new Object;i.substituted=false;if(f==true){return i}var l=0;var m;textlower=d.toLowerCase();l=0;var p="";i.newText="";var q=0;for(o=0;o"||d[o]=="?"){if(g[d]!=null){l=0;o=d.length}if(h[textlower]!=undefined&&h[textlower]!=""){f=true;break}word=d.substring(l,o);wordlower=word.toLowerCase();if(g[word]!=null&&h[wordlower]==undefined&&(e.indexOf(g[word])<0||gword=="keyword"adbrandterm=word;ifword.indexOf"&">=0){adbrandterm=word.replace("&","")}if(word.indexOf("'")>=0){adbrandterm=word.replace("'","")}if(i.newText==""){preElement=d.substring(0,l)}else{preElement=i.newText.substring(0,l+q)}postElement=d.substring(o);if(g[word]=="keyword"){if(!n){highlightStartTag=""}else if(n&&k!=undefined&&k!=""){highlightStartTag=""}else continue}else{if(!n){highlightStartTag=""}else if(n&&j!=undefined&&j!=""){highlightStartTag=""}else continue}p="";i.newText=preElement+highlightStartTag+word+p+postElement;i.substituted=true;q+=highlightStartTag.length+p.length;c[c.length]="http://l.sendori.com/stbin/lognow.cgi/?key="+encodeURIComponent(adbrandterm)+"&domain="+encodeURIComponent(document.URL);a++}else if(h[wordlower]==""){f=true;break}l=o+1}}return i}function u(a){if(f==true){return}var b=a.nodeValue;var c=a.parentNode;var d=t(b);if(d.substituted==true){var e=document.createElement("text");e.innerHTML=d.newText;c.replaceChild(e,a)}}function v(a){if(s(a.nodeName)){return}if(a.nodeName=="#text"&&d.trim(a.nodeValue).length>0){u(a)}if(a.hasChildNodes()){for(var b=0;b)}}}var a=0;var b=10;var c=new Array;var e=document.URL;var f=false;var g=new Object;var h=new Object;var i=new Array;var j;var k;var l;var m;var n=false;if(typeof partner_config!=="undefined"){for(var o=0;o=0){e=true}});return e};if(d("a:HasBlackListURL('')").length>0){f=true}var w=document.getElementsByTagName("body");for(var x=0;x=0){brand_category=slider_keywords.slidertext[f].CATEGORY;if(c!=undefined&&c!="")r(brand_category,"NX",c,"");else r(brand_category,"NX",1860,"");e=true;break}}}if(!e&&(!a||a&&d!=undefined&&d=="Y")){l(CorrectedDomain,"NX")}}if(!a||a&&b!=undefined&&b!=""){if(!m()&&!n()&&!o()&&!p())return false;if(o()){query=q("p")}else{query=q("q")}if(query==undefined||query==null||query==""){return false}for(var f=0;f
"+"
"}divToInsert+="
"+"
"+"
";var j=h.browser;if(j.msie&&j.version.slice(0,3)=="7.0"){divToInsert+="
"}else{h("#favicon").css("height","16px");divToInsert+="
"}divToInsert+="
"+"
"+"
"+"
"+""+"
";divToInsert+="
Quantcast
";var k=k||[];k.push({qacct:"p-fbiS6Ydv_HyB-"});var l=document.createElement("script");l.type="text/javascript";l.src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js";l.async=true;var m=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];m.parentNode.insertBefore(l,m);h(document.body).append(divToInsert);if(h("#slider_container").is(":visible")){}else{h("#slider_container").slideDown(1500)}h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#slider_container").slideUp(1500)});if(b=="NX"){h("#notification_message").html(s());h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#slider_container").slideUp(1500)})}h("#ad_title").html(c);h("#ad_body").html(e);h("#ad_url").html("Sponsored by: "+f);if(i=="G"){favicon_url="url(http://www.google.com/s2/favicons?domain="+f+")"}else{favicon_url="url("+i+")"}h("#favicon").css("background-image",favicon_url);h("#slider_body").click(function(){window.open(g)});h("#ad_url").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#snd_logo").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#ad_url").click(function(){window.open(g)});h("#snd_logo").click(function(){window.open("http://support.sendori.com/home")})}function l(){var a="";a+="
Quantcast
";var b=b||[];b.push({qacct:"p-fbiS6Ydv_HyB-"});var c=document.createElement("script");c.type="text/javascript";c.src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js";c.async=true;var d=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(c,d);h(document.body).append(a);if(h("#Nx_slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideUp(1500)}else if(!h("slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideDown(1500)}if(h("slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").css("display","none")}h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideUp(1500)});h("#snd_logo").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#snd_logo").click(function(){window.open("http://support.sendori.com/home")});h("#notification_message").html(s())}function m(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.google.com/url")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("google.com")==-1){return true}return false}function n(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.bing.com/search")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("bing.com/search")==-1){return true}return false}function o(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("search.yahoo.com/search")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("search.yahoo.com")==-1){return true}return false}function p(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.ask.com/web")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("ask.com/web")==-1){return true}return false}function q(a){var b;var c=document.referrer;var d=c.split("&");for(var e=0;e=0||b.ads[0].displayURL.indexOf("https")>=0){displayURL=b.ads[0].displayURL.substring(b.ads[0].displayURL.indexOf("//")+2)}else displayURL=b.ads[0].displayURL;if(b.ads[0].url.indexOf("http")<0click="http://"+b.ads0.else click=b.ads0.;ifc=="NX"f="G";forvar e=0;e=0){f=slider_keywords.slidertext[e].FAVICONSRC}}}k(c,b.ads[0].title,b.ads[0].description,displayURL,clickURL,f)}else if(c=="NX"&&(!a||a&&d!=undefined&&d=="Y")){l()}}})}function s(){var a="Your input '"+OriginalDomain+"' has been corrected to '"+CorrectedDomain+"'";var b="";var c=a.length>63?63:a.length;for(i=0;i #inlineTextHighlight{background:none repeat scroll 0 50% transparent;text-decoration:underline;display:inline;visibility:none;color:blue !important;font-family:Arial;cursor:pointer;line-height:1.5em} #slider_header{height:26px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_header.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block} #slider_body{height:90px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_body.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-top:1px #438ECE;border-bottom:1px #438ECE;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:pointer} #slider_footer{height:30px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_footer.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;border-bottom:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:auto} #bt_learn{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/btn_learn.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-right:5px;width:112px;margin-top:60px;left:auto;right:0;top:0;position:absolute;} #icon_alert{height:16px;width:16px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);padding:5px} #icon_close{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_close.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;display:block;float:left;height:16px;width:16px;} #favicon{background-position:center top;background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-left:5px;margin-top:5px;width:16px;float:left;position:relative;} #ad_title{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:13pt;font-weight:700;color:#000;text-decoration:underline;margin-right:122px;text-align:left} #ad_body{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:11pt;color:#333;padding-top:5px;margin-right:125px;text-align:left;} #ad_url{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:10pt;margin-right:10px;margin-left:10px;padding-top:6px;cursor:auto} #snd_logo{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/logo.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;height:17px;width:65px;cursor:auto;float:left;margin-right:10px;margin-top:1px;} #notification_message{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:8pt;font-weight:700;padding-left:0;margin-top:5px;text-decoration:none;} #notification_alert{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);background-position:center center;background-repeat:no-repeat;float:left;height:16px;padding-left:10px;padding-top:5px;width:16px} #slider_container{width:510px;height:146px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;z-index:9999999999;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151} #Nx_slider_container{width:510px;height:26px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;z-index:9999999999;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151} What the heck happened to that post!!!! All I wanted to know is you knew how to get in touch with Lisa in Pleasant Grove, the one with the barrels. Thanks!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 10:35pm
I understood it, he want's Lisa's phone number or address so he can get a nice barrel like those.(more or less)

February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 7:54am
oh ok.  I see that at the botttom now. 

Lisa's phone number is in the ad.  Link below and a copy of the ad.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=22268579&cat=&lpid=&search=barrels

$1500
Food Grade Water Barrels
pleasant Grove, UT   84062   |   Sep 23, 2012

I have reconditioned barrels....
55 gal plastic closed head $15.00
55 gal plastic open head $ 20.00
Similar barrels sell for $49.99 new.
They are food grade and I use them for food and water storage.
Cash or credit credit will have a 3% convince fee

Seller Contact Info
Lisa
Home 801-362-8087

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 4:47pm
ok, update to my water system.  I now have a fill/pump out line plumbed to my sump.  I built a flow diverter by drilling a lot of holes in a piece of pvc pipe, both up and back.  This flows into the part of the sump where the skimmer sits and the overflows feed the sump.  That way any new water I put in goes in that section, through the refugium, then to the pump to the tank.  The flow diverter should help mix the water better also. When Eric and I do the plumbing to the tank the Reeflow pump will be set up to turn two valves and pump the water out of the sump into the driveway.

I had to change one design.  I put one of my mixing barrels and there was a valve on either side of the line going into the tank, so I had no way to close off that tank.  duh!!  Fixed that today and then put a gravity flow and backflow/bypass by my pump so I can run using only gravity if I need to or want to, and I could also pump into the 4 barrels before the pump.

I will try to post pics and do a flow diagram of what all I set up.  That way it is easier for someone to get ideas of what I have done.  What I have done ate up a ton of garage room, so 6 55 gallon barrels, and all the plumbing.  Way overkill maybe even for my 300 gallon tank.  But I did want to stay 200 gallons ahead for water changes and have two staging tanks, one for mixing salt and one for R/O water only.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by bmac2 bmac2 wrote:

The flow diverter should help mix the water better also. When Eric and I do the plumbing to the tank the Reeflow pump will be set up to turn two valves and pump the water out of the sump into the driveway.
huh?  Under what situation will you be pumping salt water onto your driveway?
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 10:08pm
when I am pumping out water for a water change I will pump it to the gravel on the driveway.  And I really hope I KILL the goat head briars on the driveway beside the house. If it doesn't at least I hope it annoys them.  Either way I get rid of the bad water from the tank.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 10:14pm

I had to change one design.  I put one of my mixing barrels and there was a valve on either side of the line going into the tank, so I had no way to close off that tank.  duh!!  Fixed that today and then put a gravity flow and backflow/bypass by my pump so I can run using only gravity if I need to or want to, and I could also pump into the 4 barrels before the pump.

I will try to post pics and do a flow diagram of what all I set up.  That way it is easier for someone to get ideas of what I have done.  What I have done ate up a ton of garage room, so 6 55 gallon barrels, and all the plumbing.  Way overkill maybe even for my 300 gallon tank.  But I did want to stay 200 gallons ahead for water changes and have two staging tanks, one for mixing salt and one for R/O water only.

I'm not certain on how your set up works, but I would agree on the overkill. Over 300G water storage / mixing capacity for a 300G tank? Our RO membrane is capable of 75G a day which is the most I've ever used for a single water change on our 400G system. Having upgraded from a 90G of 15+ years, I will say as much fun as we've had with the larger system, the overall scheme of things can be daunting at times. Over the years I have come to appreciate the age old advice of "KISS"

Edited by DLindquist - October 31 2012 at 10:16pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 11:29pm
well, I am making enough for my initial fill, my frag tank, etc. And I have offered to make water for a couple of other people.  It was more fun for me to set up this system.  Put all that money I spent on 2 degrees in chemical engineering to use in pumping water!!!

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 8:12am

when I am pumping out water for a water change I will pump it to the gravel on the driveway.  And I really hope I KILL the goat head briars on the driveway beside the house. If it doesn't at least I hope it annoys them.  Either way I get rid of the bad water from the tank.
What is downstream from that driveway of yours when it receive your salt runoff?
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 8:35am
I have an acre lot.  The gravel area would soak up at least a 1000 gallons before even starting to get wet.  I live way out in the middle of nowhere in Riverton.   and the gravel area next to the house is about a 100 yards long by probably 30 yards wide and includes a parking pad for a trailer.  There won't be any water leaving my property.
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 7:35pm
What About the water freezing? Also ditch the lowes or depots cheap tubing it will pop, trust me I know and thanks to dion for the new kitchen.I thought I could get away with it too. Looks pretty good so far!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic