Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPS BLEACHING, pics added

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPS BLEACHING, pics added
    Posted: October 13 2012 at 12:57pm
some of my sps are starting bleach!!! my birdsnest, ora birdsnest and my pocillopora!!!
i checked all my lvls
cal 450
alk 8.4
mag 1280
i need help, no idea what is happening! i just noticed yesterday!!

Edited by rwgoose - October 13 2012 at 4:16pm
getting fishy??
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 2:05pm
how are your nitrates, nitrites and phosphates? Any coral near by that would be stinging it? Notice any bugs on it? Have any chems in the water from gfo, carbon, etc? How long has it been since you changed water? Any addatives recently?

Edited by phys - October 13 2012 at 2:06pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 2:07pm
have you changed lighting or flow?
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 2:30pm
lighting is the same, no new bulbs or anything yet.. all three are in their owns spots with at least three inches of room all around... i dont have a nitrate or trite test, no bugs i have noticed.. flow i havent changed in months, when i rearranged my rocks.. i run carbon, was dosing alk till i hit where i wanted to be.. nothing else i can think of..
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 2:31pm
last water change was a week ago to the day.. i do changes twice a month..
getting fishy??
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 2:36pm
I'd get a nitrate/nirite/phosphate test kit asap. Any deaths in the tank recently? When did they start bleaching? The time frame may give you a clue as to if the water change is the problem. How often do u change carbon? Did u use different brands of carbon or salt? Or maybe a new batch? How much water did you change? The drastic change in alk over the past week may be the problem....

Edited by phys - October 13 2012 at 2:37pm
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 2:43pm
i brought up alk over two weeks from 6.8 to 8.4... i change 10 gallons every two weeks.. i use oceanic. no deaths ever... i change my carbon once a month.. i only noticed the bleaching last night... so not sure how long it has been going on.. i plan on getting a kit now!! never had problem before.. i plan on taking some water down to get tested on monday.. if i run phosgaurd without a reading, not running it now just curious, would this cause a problem or would it be safe till i know?? 
getting fishy??
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 2:57pm
Phosgaurd can be ran anytime.
Temp? Salinty?

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 3:05pm
temp is 76-78 and salinity is .022
getting fishy??
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 3:56pm
Are you vitamin C dosing?
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 4:04pm
no vitamin c

getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 4:15pm
getting fishy??
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 4:38pm
Change your carbon asap.. it may be leeching some stuff back into your tank if its run too long or if you weren't running enough and it stopped pulling out organics. Phosguard could do the same thing so be sure to change it as specified by the manufacturer.
Not sure if others would agree but whenever i think to have a higher alk, i would add it to the replacement water before adding the water to the tank (if you were attempting to match your current tank alk to the replacement water alk). The shift in alk between your old water and new water may cause some problems.
I didnt see anything nearby that could be causing coral warfare in your tank. Its strange to me that it's going from the bottom up. Do they have enough flow over them? can you see the polyps swaying in the water?
Have you added any new inverts?

Edited by phys - October 13 2012 at 4:48pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 4:52pm
also be sure to take a pic everyday to make sure its not spreading or notice how it is spreading. It kind of looks like the bleaching follows the shape of the rocks.. they may not be getting enough flow to the lower portion of the corals...
If you get it taken care of soon, there is a good chance for a full recovery of the corals.. i had some issues a while back and most of mine have come back.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 5:17pm
Looks to me like its possibly RTN/STN ( Rapid or Sudden Tissue Necrosis)   If it is, even if you can figure out what the cause is it may be too late to do anything. Google it for plenty of info about it.

If those colonies continue to rapidly lose tissue, it could wipe them all out within hours.......    Be prepared to try and frag some of the healthy parts of the coral in order to save them.

Sorry for the bad news and I hope I am wrong.    Also, 1.022 salinity is kind of low for SPS, what are you using to measure salinity ?   Not saying that is the cause but double check your salinity with a Refractometer if possible, it could be more off than you think.

Good luck
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 10:47pm
so i am going to adjust my power heads to ensure i have great flow in those areas.. i have also added some phosguard and changed my carbon.. i am going to add some salt in my sock to try to increase my salinity as well... will keep posted
getting fishy??
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 11:54pm
good luck!
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 10:17am
well just woke up and it looks like each one is getting a little worse.. think i am going to frag the heck out of of them.... ;(

getting fishy??
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 1:47am
be sure to frag well above the bleached section!
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 4:49am
Just out  of curiosity before this started did you move any of your power heads ? As reef'd mentioned all the loss seems to be on 1 side .  Are you adding chemicals to the display or sump and is your return pointed at these corals? Dosing all at 1 time or are dripping it in ?Also how long have you been at .022? Are you toppimg off with R/O ? And are you dosing to feed your corals and what is the date on what you dose if you are?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic