Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 Gallon JBJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 Gallon JBJ
    Posted: October 18 2012 at 12:29pm
Lol well I got out a couple of months ago.... and a couple weeks ago I got the itch.. I first tried to ignore it and that didnt work, and it didnt help that my brother has been sending me pics of his tanks and has constantly been talking to me about them haha. sooo here I am.   I didnt want to go with anything big for a couple of reasons the main one being my wife murdering me. And I knew even going with a small take would be pushing my luck. I've had a nano before so I started looking on here for a used one. There were a couple of options I came across and I decided to go with the setup that Dion posted. It came with everything I needed to get it running (which was awesome since I literally sold everything doh!)

The other main reason for picking a small setup is low maintenance and cost of keeping it running. As of now I'm planning to keep softies only, and I'll eventually change out the pc lighting to LED's. I've found a clamp on led fixture on ebay for 25 bucks that I think I will try. some of you already know I'm all about the cheap ebay leds : )

The tank is currently getting a vinegar bath. It came with some dry sand that Im not sure where its from and the rock needs to be recycled. I'll probably throw that into a bucket with some diluted bleach water. I want to start with everything 100% dead. Any advise on that is appreciated as I've always started with live rock but the rock I have was live and I believe a couple of days ago is when It was pulled out to dry.

Here is a pic of my old nano just for fun

Edited by ksmart - September 12 2013 at 12:28pm

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 12:34pm
Here is a link to the ebay led's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380478829479?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 1:27pm
Welcome back, Kyle Big smile

Didn't take long, did it?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 1:42pm
remember, don't fight the addiction, just go ahead and feed it!!!

Welcome back!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 3:41pm
The sand is utah sand. Originally was in my 220. I washed and dried it when takeing that one down. The rock is a mixture of utah rock and store bought rock. I personally wouldnt put it in a bleach solution. That could haunt you for months to come. If you really want to kill it all off then bake the rock for 45 minutes at 300. There will be nothing alive. However remember no mater how you "Kill" everything you will have dead stuff in there that will have to cycle out.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 4:28pm
LOL  Hey your tank looks really nice in my home! Wink Good to see you back.  When you get ready to look for softies let me know.  I don't plan to move any softies into this new tank and once this new tank has all my other corals and fish in it, I plan to get rid of my softies and my Biocube.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 11:34pm
Thanks everyone glad to be back lol. Glad to hear the tank is looking good, pics?

Thanks for the info on that rock and sand Dion. I had heard about people using diluted bleach but I wasnt sure so Im glad you chimed in. I baked it tonight, the house smelled great! haha.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 1:43am
Anyone know of a putty to use for gluing rock together that they'd recommend?

joelduval1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelduval1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 1:55am
I used water weld putty from home depot/Lowe's.
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 4:46am
I second the water weld. also known as aquamend, both stores carry it but I have some if you wanna come over and grab it

Edited by Dion Richins - October 19 2012 at 8:36am
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 8:06am
Originally posted by ksmart ksmart wrote:

Anyone know of a putty to use for gluing rock together that they'd recommend?

Epo A+B Putty. The only way to go!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 10:24am
Welcome back Kyle! Feel free to come over and check out my tank and talk fish.
220 G SPS Display.

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 12:25pm
Nice! Another super local reefer. That makes at least 3of us within like less than a mile of each other.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 5:03pm
Cool thanks for the suggestions. Tyson are you sure?

And thanks Allen and Billy! we knew I couldn't stay away too long haha.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 10:34am

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 10:37am
I ended up using that water weld for the aquascape, so far I think its holding well.

Let me know what ya'll think!

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 10:39am

Here is a side shot, water was still cloudy when I took this pic

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 10:52am
ClapClapClap
Looks good !!!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 5:38pm
Thanks Bob! Not a whole lot of rock but I like how much bigger the tank looks. Lots of sand real estate too.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 12:09pm
I've ordered a jbj surface skimmer for the tank.

for lighting Im still trying to decide whether or not I want to ditch the pc's and go with a led. My wife doesnt like the look of the open tank look but I really like the idea of having a clamp on led fixture. I found one on ebay that I think would get the job done. Its got 6-3watt led's 4 whites and 2 blues for 30 ish bucks. Its about 12 inches long so it would fit the tank pretty well and I think that many leds would be sufficient.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic