Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 Gallon JBJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 12:13pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Clamp-3W-Aquarium-Light-Nano-Bright-Marine-Fish-Coral-Cichlid-6x-3-Watts-/300789152312

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2012 at 3:06pm
both pc's and led's on

Just led's

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 11:34pm

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 11:33am
Picture doesnt do it justice. I added 1 more strip of white and one more strip of blue and was able to remove the pc so now Im running all leds and it looks awesome! Tank has been running about 4 weeks. Tested params yesterday and they were all 0. I've been putting food in a net and I put that in the tank and leave it for a few days to help with the cycle.

I ended up getting the biocube skimmer as it was the only one I could find that would fit and Im actually pretty pleased with it so far. I also put in 5 snails last week and they've been hard at work on the rock. Will be adding some more this week and hopefully be adding my clowns that I bought back from Tyson.

1skindog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1skindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 11:55am
Sweet looking good man...  So are those all Ecoxotic stunner strips?  
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 12:44pm
Yes I ended up buying a couple from my brother and liked them so I opted to buy a few more in order to get rid of the pc bulbs. I really like them so far.

1skindog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1skindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 5:36pm
I was very happy with my Ecoxotic Panarama Pro. I just went to their web site and they have some sweet new full marine lights pods 24" 36" and 48" long with 12k white and blue with dimable dials.   All of their products are awesome. I'm debating on selling my led light and getting the 24".
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 1:26am

Edited by ksmart - November 23 2012 at 1:28am

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 1:27am
I've added the clowns and two turbo snails, zoa frag, toadstool frag, and all seem to be doing well.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 7:32pm

I added a koralia nano last week to add some flow. Starting to get cyano kinda bad as the koralia stirred up the sand bed a little. Been doing 1 gal wc's weekly. Not really trying to do much to rid my tank of the cyano except let it "cycle" out, least I hope that's what happens lol.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 7:32pm
the above fts is right after I added the powerhead so it doesnt really show the cyano taking over the sand bed

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 8:54pm

Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 9:09pm
Its looking good besides the cyano, hope it goes away soon enough for ya. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 9:26pm
i was having a big problem with cyano as well. i picked up a twin spot goby and started running clear fx pro.. after a week it has all cleared up.. just my thoughts
getting fishy??
1skindog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1skindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 9:38pm
Hey Kyle, mine went through that too..  It's no fun... 
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 1:50pm
Thanks guys! In my previous tanks I usually would end up dosing for it with some stuff you can buy at the LFS for like 20 bucks. This was usually after I had tried turning off the lights for a couple days, adding flow or changing flow, adding more clean up crew or sand sifting starfish. I might just bypass all that and go straight for the dosing. We'll see. Otherwise I feel like the tank is on track and everything is looking healthy.

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 3:58pm
Awesome!  I have this exact tank that I'm looking to convert to LEDs - what was the link on the LED fixture you went with and how did you secure it to the hood?  Looks really great, I can't wait to get mine up and running!

Also, do you have a link for that in-tank skimmer?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 4:19pm
Thanks Chris! I ended up going with ecoxotic stunner strips. I have 2 all whites, 2-blue 453, 1 blue/white, 1 white/magenta. I probably went the more expensive way since these retail for 40 ish bucks a strip plus the power supply. I was able to buy 3 of the strips and the power supply from my little brother so I got a pretty good deal. I secured them in the hood with velcro.

When I was looking at LED's I did see some diy fixtures specifically for this hood for around $170 that looked pretty cool that I would have checked out had I not gone with these.

The skimmer is a biocube 14. Its a dinky little skimmer but was the only one that I could find that would fit in the tank with the hood. There are some hang on the bank ones that could fit but you'd have to modify or remove the hood completely and I didn't want to go that route.

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 4:28pm
I wonder if the heat on those LEDs isn't as significant as some of the other PCB star mounted LEDs...  I bought 14 LEDs (3.2 Vf, and I'll run them at 850 mA) as well as two square tubes, and a power supply from Steve's LEDs.  I might do the velcro thing like you did so I can remove things if they get too hot. 

Are your 2 fans still running?  And do you still use the splash guard, or do those LED strips come with their own splash guard?

Good to know about the skimmer, I'm still not sure if I'll put one in or not.  I think I'll probably wait 3-4 months before I even get my first fish, so...  I don't plan on loading the tank with corals and whatnot for awhile.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 6:03pm
I'm not sure about the heat out put on these LED's vs others but I dont notice any heat temp differences in the tank water (stays around 80f and I do not have a heater). 80F is higher than I like but so far everything is good, just have to make sure it doest get higher than that.

I still have the stock splash guard, stock reflector and yes both fans running.

The skimmer isn't really necessary on this tank in my opinion, I mostly got it to try it out as it was getting hit or miss reviews online. I could go either way on it really.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic