Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - is it possible to make profit from breeding clown
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is it possible to make profit from breeding clown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sh2007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sh2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is it possible to make profit from breeding clown
    Posted: October 25 2012 at 2:46pm
I would like to get some input to see is it worthy to look into breeding clown fish to support local fish store.  As of now I am just doing it for fun, but would like the hobby paid for it self sometime down in the road. So is there a big market for clown fish, because I don't want to end up with hundreds of fish and no store would want it. And what is a fair price to ask for a fish. Any input is greatly appreciate.

What is a fair price to ask for?

Regular ocellaris ?
Regular Percular?
True Percular?
Darwin Black/White?
Ausis Black/white?
SnowFlake?
Black Ice ?
Platinum?
Picasso?
any other?

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 3:55pm
I'd suggest you talk with the local stores and see if they need more local suppliers and what they pay for the baby clows.
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 7:23pm
IMO there are a lot more people doing it then LFS to buy.. 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 7:45pm
I have heard through the grape vine that wild harvest of clowns is going to be banned. I would think if that happens it would be good money.

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 12:43am
Ocellaris and Perculas are almost always in demand, but there is not a lot of profit in them.
Any other kind of clown including designer clowns, one could easily flood the local market with just one pair, but there is potentially a much bigger profit margin. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by napalm77 napalm77 wrote:

I have heard through the grape vine that wild harvest of clowns is going to be banned. I would think if that happens it would be good money.

I actually heard that as well. But if you do breed designer clowns, only a small percentage will come out to be designer clowns, And getting a GRADE A would be pretty small. The majority of them will come out standard old clown fish. 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Nails12 Nails12 wrote:

Originally posted by napalm77 napalm77 wrote:

I actually heard that as well.
Yep, that is true.  See link.  http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/reef_fish_in_peril/pdfs/Clownfish-and-damselfish-petition-2012.pdf
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 10:53am
I sold a batch of 20 baby occularis clowns a couple of months ago. I just sold to members on the board. I sold them for $10 each. I asked fish stores how much they would give me for them and it was between $6 and $8 depending on the store. I had no problem selling them.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 12:43pm
I think you can make a few bucks and with time you will eventually sell them all . However you are not going to make so much to retire on or anything unless you open a warehouse and obtain hundreds of mated pairs but then it would just be like changing professions because you will be spending more than 40 hours a week at it. So if it something you enjoy. Have fun with but don't take it to serious. I know at least 10 people on the wasatch front who ethier are currently doing it or have in the recent past. I am sure there is more to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic