Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoa care

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JustAddSalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoa care
    Posted: October 26 2012 at 12:19pm

Hope this is the right forum for this question,  I have recently purchased a colony of zoas and for some reason they dont seem to be doing all that well.  Was wondering what was the water chem that they like and how do i keep them happy ..

thanks ahead of time for the help.
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 12:38pm
What are your current water params? and how old is your system?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 4:31pm
My system has been up for about a little over a month... bought it from a neighbor next door to me..it had been going for more than four yrs.  my PH has been between 8.3 and 8.4, salinity has been between 1.023 and 24.  I came home today to find that my hunch had been correct in that I moved the colony closer to the light an a lot more of the polyps came out.  Previously all had went inside and had been there for about a couple of days.  I have had only one salinity spike and lost a Copperband.  As far as lighting goes..I do not have the 700 dollar setups that seemed to be prevalent on the forum.. I have been handed what you might call a dinosaur lighting system(compact lighting).

Would love to have someone help me in making a proper refugium(sorry if it is misspelled) as I have found out that mine has been partially gutted.  So basically what I have underneith my tank is a sump with submerged protein skimmer.
I guess I should not complain as i got fish, rock, sand, tank hood, stand and skimmer for 400.. but having a proper refugium would have been nice.  Not sure if my diy skills are up to the task.
I unfortunately do not have a full test kit to test for phosphates and calcium and Im not about to try iodide til I have a proper test kit.
Again thanks for any advice. 

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 4:42pm
Just responding to your light comment.  You don't need to spend anywhere near $700 for decent lighting for a tank (unless your tank is about 6 ft long LOL).  I'd guess the majority of us haven't spent that kind of money on lighting.  Sure, this hobby can get expensive, but it can be manageable.  I don't know what size tank you have or what kind of lighting you have -- sometimes it can be a matter of just changing the bulbs in your existing lighting. 

Does your sump have any dividers in it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 4:52pm
My tank is 75gal and it does not have any dividers.. I am in the process of buying some plexi glass to make some but not sure how long my system can wait while the silicone(the safe kind) to dry.. I have gone on vivid aquariums site and marine depot for ideas of how the dividers should go in but am nervous about placement and heights and such.  Smile   The sump looks like a diy acrylic for starters and from what my local guru at The Fish Hub said I will only need one piece to put in then I can put in my pads and do some cutting to make room for my skimmer and pipe on side.  Then pawn my first born to put in some rubble and sand to make a hospitable environ for my bug colonies to prosper and make it a self sustaining system.(nirvana..lol)

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 5:09pm
You could try looking at some sumps of members here or some sumps that some of the LFS may have for sale to get an idea about how to place the dividers.  Hopefully someone will see your posts and offer to help you.  All I could offer for help is to let you come over and see my sump.  I've read sometimes on the boards about people complaining about getting microbubbles from their sumps to their display tank -- I have no idea how that happens cause it has never happened to me.  It must be a design in the sump that prevents that from occurring.

Also, about your bug colony LOL  Some people don't use sand -- they just use live rock rubble.  Ask around about that.  I took the advice of just using live rock rubble in my refugium.  I have a few extra pieces of some completely dry rock I could give to you that you could break up to make rubble out of.  This is dry rock out of an ancient reef bed -- called Marco dry rock.  It is extremely porous and gives critters lots of places to live in.
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 6:45pm
Why you have your sump out curing you could just use a storage Tupperware that's what I did when I switch out my sump.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 8:56am
I think the Key factor  here is  that a 4 year old tank was moved.
Need a lot more info before an accurate solution can be established.
1-Tank pictures in current condition.
2-What size is the Tank? How much rock. Was the sand cleaned or replaced when it was moved?What are you using to move the water? Powerheads, how many?
3- What were you using for filtration after the tank was moved and then set back up? Phosgaurd,carbon filter sock.ect ect ect...
Will address the sump issues as son as we get some much needed info.
Lets start with that and go from there.

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 1:00pm
Well, I have sort of solved my lighting problem..I found a LFS that sells a killer lighting system that has slots for 8 errr i think t5 or better.    Without the bulbs its 179 and then 20 or 25 a bulb.   Only drawback is that it does not have a dimmer but beggers cant be chosers.  Also found some gorgeous frags and whole specimens for reasonable prices while I was there.. around the 40 to 80 dollar range and many colorful frags for around 10 to 15.  I am even going to get help in making my sump into a functional refugium with there help. 

In regards to Builderofdreams:
75g   4 pcs of live rock..one in sump with small clump of chato.  I have a decent skimmer although do not have a clue as to brand other than it keeps my water crystal clear.  I am currently using the sand my neighbor used as it contains established organisms and much of water from said tank so as to not upset the established eco system.  My "sump" has only a sock and a skimmer keeping my chem in chk with a bag of phos guard by seachem.  I have been using 8.4, Fuel, and Reef balance for bumping up my calcium..later when I win the lottery and have a accual reef I will get a calc reactor and doser but not before I get all my test equipment.  I am quickly realizing that I have alot to catch up on knowledge and equipment..
When I went to my LFS I did discover that there is a killer pc of equipment that I can buy for about 80 not including these white beads that will reduce my phosphate and nitrates down to about .005 or somethink like that...So my wishlist is quickly growing. 
So I hope this gives you a better idea of my setup...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 1:06pm
Btw- my ph has been holding steady between 8.3 and 8.4
and each time i have had my water tested by my LFS it has shown that they all are about on zeroes with my ph being a bit low at the time of it being tested.. My local fish guru there says that I need to relax and not worry so much..Got rid of a Foxface that was quickly becoming a menace to my new corals and replace him with a pale blue tang..who seems peaceful enough and less ADHD.
So I hope this gives you a better idea of my setup...or the lack there of..lol
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by JustAddSalt JustAddSalt wrote:

My local fish guru there says that I need to relax and not worry so much.

He hit the nail on the head! It's great that you're really excited, so let's work on the worrying part. :)

My first sump (and tank...and lighting...and everything else) were a disaster. We all have to start somewhere. I've had several tanks over the years, and each time I think it's perfect and that I'll be happy...ha. I still don't have a $700 light system...lol.

I've made a few glass sumps and an acrylic sump. I *highly* recommend you make your baffles out of whatever material the rest of the sump is made out of. If it's acrylic, then use the acrylic pieces and cement to make the baffles. If it's glass, then use glass with silicone. If you try to use glass with acrylic, the silicone just won't bond as well. If you do it just right, it'll work...but most times it'll fail within a year. The way to prevent minibubbles in your main display is to use a "bubble trap" - basically just a baffle after your skimmer so all the bubbles rise/pop at the surface rather than going directly into your tank.

Here's a link to one of my sump builds...

Also, at this point, you probably don't need to worry about dosing to raise your calcium levels (unless you're testing and finding that you need to dose). Regular water changes with a good salt should be able to sustain your tank right now.

I suggest you make a list of things you want to change, and only change one thing every month. Changing too many variables makes it difficult to see what's working and what isn't.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by JustAddSalt JustAddSalt wrote:

When I went to my LFS I did discover that there is a killer pc of equipment that I can buy for about 80 not including these white beads that will reduce my phosphate and nitrates down to about .005 or somethink like that...

My guess is you're probably talking about running biopellets. If you only listen to one piece of advice I ever give, then please let it be this one. Learn how to keep a stable tank on just the basics first. Once you've learned how to keep everything healthy, then start tweaking with your system. You'll save a lot more money up front, you'll know how everything should look in case something goes wrong with your tweaking, and...you'll probably save yourself some headache.

There are plenty of ways to lower phosphates and nitrates, and in a tank as new as yours, it's completely normal to have them a bit higher. Before checking out the latest and greatest "miracle" product, let's look at the rest of your system. Do you have enough live rock/sand to filter the excess nutrients? Is your tank done cycling (probably not...there will be little cycles for about a year in most tanks even though you may not notice them)? How much are you feeding? Is your chaeto ball growing fast? Do you run a remote deep sand bed? How wet are you skimming? How often are you doing water changes/how much? Are your fish messy eaters?

See what I'm getting at? There are a ton of ways to control phosphates/nitrates first before jumping to costly products. I'm not negating the use of those products...just saying there's a time and place for them. Oh...and you should have phosphates only down to 0.03. Nitrates should be undetectable for the most part (a little is ok.) These act as fertilizers for many things in your aquarium (including coral). However, what is good can quickly become bad at too high of levels. When nitrates/phosphates get too high, they become bad for corals and good for algae. Keep them down, but not completely gone. :)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 7:03pm
K.. A lot to digest but thanks for the advice...  First on my list is to get my baffles set up. Next is proper lighting.  Could attach a pic of tank and sump but not sure how to insert a pic on this forum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 7:13pm
ah, figured it out Here is my tank as it is now.  traded a fox face for a pale blue tang.

Below is my sump setup..two pics..sorry if they are huge pics

Here is a top view

ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 10:29am
I don't have a lot of great advise for you except that you could visit some other people near by and see how things are working for them.  As you are in West Jordan you could go see Will Spencer's tank.  It is beautiful and runs with some fairly simple refugium workings.  Also my tank is about as minimum as it can get and it does well.   It is a 90 gal. and looks good to me.  I am also in West Jordan.   I had a hard time keeping zoas when I first set up but now they are growing like mad.
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 7:56am
theres no mention of alk, cal, and mag levels. these are the core tests that should be monitored. ph isnt as big as a deal as everyone thinks, if these three elements are in check ususaly everything else is ok. does your sump have a light to grow your algae? is it on opposite light schedule as your display tank? 
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 12:13pm
I do not have those test kits yet..am kind of running on a shoestring budget or as much as my wife will let me indulge in my hobby.  Over the weekend i picked up a second kydor 750 powerhead and two pieces of acrylic plexi glass .220 thickness.  I am going after work to pick up some weld on number 4 or three for acrylics.. going to do some measuring and then have Lowes make me some pieces..what I am really needing is for someone with some know how tell me how to change my plumbing without flooding my place and possibly toasting my furnace..the air intake is right behind my tank..  I have a very simple design in mind if someone would be able to tell me if I can do all my plumbing changes without flooding my place.  So if you want to come look at what I have..send me a txt...801-209-1813
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic