Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dart pump broken.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dart pump broken.
    Posted: October 27 2012 at 11:07pm
I've had my dart running for about a month and its worked perfectly. I turned it off for a few hours to do some maintenance on the tank and move my corals over. When I turned it back on it didnt pump, just hums and heats up and gets REALLY hot. Like burns me if I touch the motor. What in the world is wrong and what can I do?   

Is there any thing I can do to possibly fix it that doesnt involve taking it apart? That would suck so bad to have to do right now.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 11:22pm
Probably lost it's prime.  You might have to put some water into the volute to get it running again. Running it dry will burn it up.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 11:33pm
It never was sucking air or run dry, can it still be dry somehow?
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 12:06am
You can pull the front off really easy on this pump and check and see if the impeller spins free and turn it on to see if the impeller spins if not then its a bad motor and will be under warranty if purchased from a authorized dealer. 
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 1:33am
I just started running mine last week . do you have positive pressure to the inlet? also you can look at the fan at the opposite end of the inlet to see if the fan is turning . If it is you probably lost the prime. If it isnt just take it apart and see if its bound up or just remove the cover over the fan and see if you can spin it by hand then you know if you need to take it apart. Kurt 801-637-6113 if you have any questions that I can help with .
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 3:09am
Even if the fan is spinning doesn't mean the impeller is. I have seen the impeller come off the shaft where the fan/shaft spins but not the impeller its all ways good to see for your self the impeller spinning, another way to see with out taking it all apart is look in the inlet or outlet and see if it is spinning
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 10:17am
Your impeller is probably stuck, thats why the motor is hot. Also most motors have a thermal switch built into the motor so if it gets too hot the motor shuts off. Is this a Baldor motor? Your going to have to take it apart for sure.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic