Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Food for thought!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food for thought!
    Posted: October 27 2012 at 11:12pm
I joined this club over four years ago and have truly enjoyed getting to know so many great people to share this amazing passion of SW with. Since then, we have had many more people jump aboard. And as great as this has been, I have noticed a slow, but progressive trend towards a lack of respect and dignity being used on the forum. While everyone has a certain right to their opinion, personal attacks should not be publicly carried out. If you have a problem with someone, please take it elsewhere. However, more than anything, the use of vulgarity drives me nuts. Rather this actually be spelled out or masked by different symbols- I would love to see some type of policy put in place that simply does not allow it. 
  "When a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is week- probably both"  -unknown.

......still hungry?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 11:36pm
+1
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 11:51pm
I agree as well!!!

When you see post like that please report them to the Presidency!! We do our best to control this but don't always see them. If you use the report a post system it sends an email to everyone in the presidency. You are also welcome to text me at 435-830-4514 and I will take care of it as soon as I can!

Thank you!
Arthur
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 1:04am
No need for swearing +1 should stay family friendly. No need to have it like the "other" site where it gets out of control.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
joelduval1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelduval1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 4:48am
Yes, one of those sites is aquariumadvice... As soon as you ask a question, people immediately start tell you how stupid you are and lalala. This is why I'm here only now, that and Mr Phil Hender told me to come here lol, but I like it here. This site is the best I've ever seen...
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 6:39am
Agreed Dave! I have no issue with differing of opinions, but no reason to get personal or vulgar with it.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 10:41am
  It's the nature of open forums like this for there to be differences of opinion, and I agree that there is no need for them to get personal or vulgar. However we know that it does and has happened in the past on here.
  I disagree with the idea that this problem is worse now than in the past. It seems to me that people that cause problems come and go and for the most part things stay pretty civil around here the majority of the time, unless I'm missing something.

Remember, this is just my opinion. No need to attack me for it Wink

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 11:12am
I have lived all over the country and I will say that Utah is the most bizarre place I have ever lived when it comes to how people interact.  There is more bad mouthing everyone in the same business here than anywhere I have ever been.  There are some of the most unprofessional small business owners here that I have ever seen.  Also in the 12 years I have lived here there has been more talking behind people's back and snide comments than any place I have ever lived.  Especially if they look different, dress different, different race or religion. 

I have worked in 5 different major industries, lived in Houston, New Orleans, Ft Hood Texas, Killeen Texas, Austin, Jackson Mississippi, South Carolina and several different places back home in Alabama.  Maybe because I am from down south where it is different, but the way people talk about each other in Utah is weird to me.

I really hope that I didn't say anything to offend anyone.  I don't remember any cussing on any of my threads.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 12:12pm
+1 to all. I've been on other sites, posted my opinon, and got reamed for it and what made it worse it was by those who had 'moderator' by thier name. So I stoped going to those sites, not all fish related. Which is why I don't post very often. I've liked this forum for the most part but have noticed there are times when some one starts a band wagon and others jump on, feelings get hurt, and people leave.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 12:51pm
It is great to see so many in agreement. I look forward to keeping things clean and civil around here. Thank you to all.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 8:29pm
As Art mentioned. If something comes up please report it or get a hold of one of us :)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 10:16am
I'm from California and have appreciated the overall lack of the use of vulgarity here in Utah, I have heard a lot of "Oh my Heck"'s but I do agree somewhat with the lack of respect and dignity being used on (or through) the forum when in comes to the classifieds. Specifically, people saying they want to buy something, sending you 10+ PMs or texts about it, then flaking out. Selling and buying livestock or corals often involves some prep or planning to make it go smoothly. Also people saying they would sell something then flaking out or saying they already sold it when they said you were "1st in line" but overall I have had a very good experience so far on the forums.

Edited by Bryce - October 29 2012 at 10:18am
65g Reef
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 10:41am
FYI swearing is against the forum rules and the offending post will be deleted and a warning sent to the offender. Personal attacks are also strictly forbidden per the forum rules. If you are caught doing this several times you will be banned. We have a zero tolerance for this stuff as this is a family friendly website.

As Art said please report these post when you see them. This website see's a ton of activity and the Presidency doesn't always see every post that is made on it. Please use the report a post button to do this and the post will be dealt with.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

Also people saying they would sell something then flaking out or saying they already sold it when they said you were "1st in line" but overall I have had a very good experience so far on the forums.

I, too, have also have a very good experience when buying.  But I have experienced what you posted.  I just simply add the name to my list to someone I will never do business with in the future.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 6:14pm
I thought this was interesting...more food for thought.

There's a particular wrasse common name that...well...could be taken wrong. However, considering I've seen that name associated with the wrasse on display in several public aquariums, I've never thought twice about it. I've also seen that name displayed with the fish on children's educational shows (although it may just be some sick adult's idea of a joke.) Anyway, I was surprised when I saw that name for it edited in one of the threads.

What are your thoughts on this?

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I do have a photo of this from a public aquarium.

Edited by ReefdUp - October 29 2012 at 6:18pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 6:16pm
If it's the name of the wrasse that's the name. That's not abusive language in any sense of the word. That's my take on it.

None at the moment
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 6:19pm
Also I believe this all came because of one thread. In that thread there was some "cussing" but nothing major. Stuff that I frankly use in everyday language and got in trouble for using here when I first joined. Because the forum has underage members (quite a few) and we aim to be family friendly we just need to make sure that we all just proof read what we write. Heck I have to do it almost every time I post. Then again I am a potty mouth.
None at the moment
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic