Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rock connections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rock connections
    Posted: October 28 2012 at 12:30pm
ok, I want to hear how each of you have tried to put your rocks together, what you have had success with, and what has just plain sucked and not worked.

I have tried the tube of putty that has the green around it you work for 5 minutes and it sets up.  Works ok, but doing some research, it is the same putty they sell at Walmart for 3.99 a tube, made by the same company  in a different package and charge 15 bucks for it.

I have a can of Water Putty that I got from Lowes I am gong to try next.  Have been told by a lot of people that it works well.

Questions I am debating:

1.  If I have heavy/large rocks I want up above, is it worth it to take a cement drill bit and put a post between them?  maybe a wood dowel pin, or a plastic garden stake so there is something to prevent any slippage as it dries, or even later down the road? Or is just water puttying them just as good?

2.  Everyone mentions using zip ties.  Do you drill holes to use them?  Or just hunt for holes that are lined up?

3.  do you put your rock all the way down to the glass on the bottom to prevent the wrasses, et al from digging and causing rocks to shift?

So post away your personal opinions and experiences with various methods.  I am a couple of weeks away from being able to really even start my rock work in the 300, so I am looking at my pile of rocks and trying to picture in my mind what to do and how to make it work.  I have the basic design in my head, and a couple of new ideas of raising the big pieces UP off the sand, a la Bob's rock work I looked at the other day.  Just want to make SURE the rock doesn't shift and fall over on the glass on the 300. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 12:34pm
I set up my rocks outside the tank first, drilled holes in them with a cement bit, and then used zip ties to tie them together. I did them in small groups so I could easily lift them into the tank. In the tank I finished zip tying them all together, then I used the epoxy to stabilize them further. This allowed me to make some pretty neat shelves...looks like some pieces are just floating.

I have the rocks directly on the glass to minimize detritus buildup under them and to keep diggers from making the rocks tumble later.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 12:35pm
Oh, I should've mentioned this. I tried using acrylic rods to help stabilize things, but it turned into more of a disaster...
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 1:10pm
I made two huge arches in my tank by drilling all the way through them with a cement bit then taking a piece of acrylic rods about 4 feet long. I used 3/4 inch rods. I then heated them up in the oven and shaped them to be arches and just put one rock on at a time on there. I used 10x 10 inch flat acrylic pieces on the end for stability. I welded them together using weld on 3. I love it very unique and lots of places for coral and plenty of room for fish to swim. I got all of this at regional supply in salt lake for like $20. Party of the rocks where shelf pieces so I made some pretty cool over hangs. Then any where you could see the rods I just used little prices of rubble and some super glue to hide them.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 1:15pm
The trick to success doing it this way is to buy some very pourus rock and a quality drill and right bit I used all dry rock from reef cleaners.org. I think you could have the same success with marco rock or bulkreefsupply stuff. It honestly drilled through it like a hot knife through butter once I got the right bit.

Edited by wickedsnowman - October 28 2012 at 1:18pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 1:36pm
Oh, and branch rock is the most awful stuff to try to drill through!!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic