Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2-part dosing amounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 5:24pm
Bur - Although I'm arguing with you, I'm really only doing it to play devil's advocate. I dose...it's no big deal to me. But, it's not for everything, so I'm just playing the other side.

Ultimately it's up to him as he has to find what works for him. He did mention he neglected his tank for a while...which supports the dosing routine (although we all know we shouldn't dose if we don't test.) Yes, it's good to learn dosing, but <10% a month on water changes isn't a lot...he could probably stand to bump up the frequency a bit. He would probably notice more benefits from increased water changes (less nitrates/phosphates, more stable trace elements, etc.) than he would from keeping his Alk within +/-1dkh.

1. 1ml/gallon/day is not a lot. When I was dosing 300ml each of alk/ca/mag on my little 40g...THAT was a lot. 1ml/gallon/day can usually be fixed with more frequent water changes. A tank stocked like his shouldn't need dosing yet...except maybe if the clam is growing a lot right now...or he just doesn't feel like doing water changes.     

2. He's chasing parameters with dosing right now, so how is continuing this a good thing? Not all reefkeepers have to dose. Yes, it's good, and it's ideal...but it's not for everyone. The amount of testing required up front, the calculating, the extra supplies (which some significant others frown upon), etc may not be worth the hassle. Caps don't tolerate low alk well, but they can handle swings between water changes to some extent. We aren't talking about a fully stocked Acropora tank with the rarest of the rare.

3. More frequent water changes are not going to hurt anything. Again, it's not going to maintain alk 100% perfectly steady, but it'll be close enough to probably not cause problems for a while.

4. Agree completely.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 5:55pm
Agree to disagree I suppose ...nonetheless, I shared my perspective, so will call it quits for now Wink

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 6:03pm
I agree with you...it's ok. Hehheh. Just thought I'd give a different perspective. :D
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 6:17pm
As mentioned above the dosing has been going well for over 6 months. Every other month or so I did a single manual dose to keep my calcium at 450, but other than that it stayed perfect. I am very consistent with my tank maintenence and anyone that has seen it knows I have never let it go. I just got a little lazy with additional dosing... I'm blocks away from aquatic dreams, so i'll swing by tomorrow and have them double check my parameters too. In the meantime I will increase mag to 1400, as suggested, keep dosers running, and manually dose cal/alk over the next week. I will probably dose minimal amount of alk, just to stop it from getting consumed by calcium.

105 rimless
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 8:36pm
Update:
I left 2-part system running.
Dosed 4 ounces 2x daily mag
Dosed 4 ounces 2x daily of cal
Dosed 2 ounces 1x daily of alk
Mag 1400
Cal 450
Alk 9.8
105 rimless
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 8:56pm
No matter what I do, after 1 week my calendar falls below 400 and alk daily sits at 9.8. I went from around 50ml daily to 92.5ml daily and still cal falls and alk stays constant.
Salinity is still right on and mag is at 1320. I'll dose it up to 1450 over the next 24 hours then test again.
105 rimless
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 8:16pm
if you don't have that many sps what is taking it the clam? I know somebody that doesn't do dosing at all just does a water change every 30 days and has no problem growing lps at all. Are you sure your test is right?
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 10:53pm
Even if you don't have a ton of sps coraline algae can eat up that stuff pretty quick.
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 11:54pm
The sps pieces I have are getting pretty big. Aquatic dreams double checked my test and the numbers were identical.
105 rimless
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 12:20am
I dose 30 ml of recipe 1 alk into my 29 gallon tank.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic