Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2-part dosing amounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-part dosing amounts
    Posted: October 28 2012 at 9:53pm
I have been running brs 2-part for about 6 months, and I can't seem to keep my levels high enough. I know that if salinity is low or mag then it is much more difficult to maintain cal/alk. I am at 1.025 and 1300 on mag. I have a new redsea test kit.
I have less than 10 sps corals, and 1 small clam in my 60ish gallon system. I am dosing 55 ml of cal and alk daily with brs dosing pumps and my Apex. Seems like a lot for a mostly lps tank.
I just checked my levels tonight and I am 350 cal and 9.8 alk.

105 rimless
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 10:50pm
Yeah that seems a little excessive. I dose about 80 ml a day of each and my 120g is pretty heavily stocked with sps colonies. Are you using recipe 1 or 2? How fast is your coraline growing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 10:50pm
I assume this is the 54g in your sig?
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 11:14pm
Coraline has slowed down. Recipe 1. I do 5 gallon monthly water changes, redsea coral products salt. And yeah, tank in the sig.
105 rimless
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 12:45am
I too have had this issue in the past...I found my levels are more consistent when I keep mag around 1400....
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 9:55am
I have used the reef chemistry calculator to get my mag over 1300, but it doesn't seem to get over 1300.. I'll try again
105 rimless
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 9:57am
It says I need to add 16oz. How many days should I split that over?

In the past when adding a manual dose I have had problems when I just add calcium. Has anyone had problems by not increasing both together?

Edited by 96slowbra - October 29 2012 at 9:59am
105 rimless
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:40am
I've noticed I have to dose what seems excessive when I have a clam...they suck up a lot. You may find it is cheaper and easier to just increase your water changes than to fiddle with dosing right now.

www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:46am
Never thought of that. What type of calcium level on new water?
105 rimless
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 96slowbra 96slowbra wrote:

It says I need to add 16oz. How many days should I split that over?

In the past when adding a manual dose I have had problems when I just add calcium. Has anyone had problems by not increasing both together?

Over the course of 1-2 days should be fine, however, I've safely raised my mag by 100 throughout the course of a day with no problems....watch your salinity levels while raising though, you may notice it spike a little as you increase Mag

Edited by bur01014 - October 29 2012 at 11:58am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:57am
You can safely add that mag all in one day. I would just split it up over a few doses. I also try to keep mine a little high around 1400. My problem is I always forget to dose mag and by the time I remember I have to dose a ton.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I've noticed I have to dose what seems excessive when I have a clam...they suck up a lot. You may find it is cheaper and easier to just increase your water changes than to fiddle with dosing right now.

I would not suggest this route, as most affordable salts are not in complete balance.  Thus, you may find yourself on a never ending chase of the perfect balance of water parameters.  In other words, water changes can often complicate your levels when trying to achieve complete balance when dosing.   Once you get your levels in balance, it will literally be set and forget....until you do a waterchange, then you need to test Smile to determine it's impact. 

In addition, you need to be dosing the 2-part solution equally, not raising and lowering them together can lead to a difficult balancing act and precip.  Please refer to Randy's articles on the subject, as his expert advice has brought great success to my tank. 

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

You can skip through the DIY recipe and review the dosing instructions. 

Another thing I have found helpful  to dial things in is to turn off your automatic dosers completely.  Dose alk and cal (& Mag) by hand until you're at the desired levels.  Then wait exactly 24 hours and test again.  Record how much your levels dropped in the 24 hours.  Then use those numbers and this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html to figure out the daily consumption of your tank and how much you need to dose per day to maintain your tank at your desired levels.  I did this and found I was overdosing, leading to precip. and Cal/Alk cancelling each other out basically...turned my fine sand into live sheet rock too LOL.

This can be frustrating, but once you dial it in after a week or so of testing, it can make your reefing experience much better.

Edited by bur01014 - October 29 2012 at 12:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 12:20pm
As far as increasing ethier cal or alk when one is on target and the other is low. It can be a serious pain. It happens cause your levels aren't balanced and cal, alk, and mag all play off each other so you try to add just cal and your alk drops etc. I agree with reefdup sometimes ( if they are really out of wack) it is just easier to correct the problem by doing a big water change. However I have had success by continuing to add the same amount of alk every day and just adding more cal they will usually balance out pretty fast. With brs two part I always seem to have to add a little more of one or the other to keep them balanced. My therory is it is because no matter how much you try to be precise when mixing the ingredents one or the other always becomes a little stronger so it takes a lttle more to have the same affect. Haha I hope I am making sense.

Edited by wickedsnowman - October 29 2012 at 12:21pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 12:24pm
And sorry about the grammer my new phone doesn't work with my fat fingers lol
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 1:16pm
I'm pretty new to reefing, almost a year with my current tank. Only been dosing for 6 months of that... On my 120 build i plan on using calcium reactor. I hear that they are great once you get them dialed in.

I really appreciate the fast feedback.
105 rimless
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 1:21pm

Today
105 rimless
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

I would not suggest this route, as most affordable salts are not in complete balance. 

Are there any salts that are in complete balance where, with weekly water changes, one could avoid all of this dosing stuff!  I would MUCH rather go that route than to have to learn about dosing!
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 2:01pm
That will only take you so far... Once you fill your reef with corals all the things we love the consumption rate is more than water changes can support. But it isn't that bad. I have just been lazy and haven't checked my water in a month. I also neglected it a little after I moved, I left it in my roommates house for almost 2 weeks, then moved it and have been lazy. I hated my new aquascaping so much that I got lazy. Last weekend I fixed it, now I getting it back on track.

My 2-part system has been great, but my corals are just getting bigger and i haven't turned it up there till I was way behind
105 rimless
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 4:30pm

I would not suggest this route, as most affordable salts are not in complete balance.  Thus, you may find yourself on a never ending chase of the perfect balance of water parameters.  In other words, water changes can often complicate your levels when trying to achieve complete balance when dosing.   Once you get your levels in balance, it will literally be set and forget....until you do a waterchange, then you need to test.

I suggested increased water changes as the OP is not dosing a lot, is fairly new to reefing, has a smallish tank, is only <10% water changes per month, and is having some difficulty figuring out dosing. For many people in that sort of situation, a water change is much more simple and easy than constant testing to figure out dosing amounts and how much a water change impacted the dosing amounts.

Although no salt is perfect, a good one will replenish levels (probably back up to NSW levels in his case), and natural precipitation will balance it out. Even if the OP goes to 10% weekly water changes, a bucket of decent salt for ~$50 will last him 10 months. This will also help replenish trace elements that the average aquarist can't test for.

IMO, keep things as simple as possible until you're really ready. Dosing isn't difficult once you get the hang of it, but at this point...is it worth it for you?

Edited by ReefdUp - October 29 2012 at 4:37pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I would not suggest this route, as most affordable salts are not in complete balance.  Thus, you may find yourself on a never ending chase of the perfect balance of water parameters.  In other words, water changes can often complicate your levels when trying to achieve complete balance when dosing. Â  Once you get your levels in balance, it will literally be set and forget....until you do a waterchange, then you need to test.

I suggested increased water changes as the OP is not dosing a lot, is fairly new to reefing, has a smallish tank, is only <10% water changes per month, and is having some difficulty figuring out dosing. For many people in that sort of situation, a water change is much more simple and easy than constant testing to figure out dosing amounts and how much a water change impacted the dosing amounts.

Although no salt is perfect, a good one will replenish levels (probably back up to NSW levels in his case), and natural precipitation will balance it out. Even if the OP goes to 10% weekly water changes, a bucket of decent salt for ~$50 will last him 10 months. This will also help replenish trace elements that the average aquarist can't test for.

IMO, keep things as simple as possible until you're really ready. Dosing isn't difficult once you get the hang of it, but at this point...is it worth it for you?

I disagree, and this is why:

1.  He is in fact dosing a lot...55 ml a day for a 60 gallon tank, accounting for rock, is more than 1 ml uptake per gallon water.....at this dosage, a drop of 1 dkh of alk could occur in 1-2 days...swings are bad...

2.  Water changes used to chase water parameters is a band-aid approach....sooner or later you need to dose and figure it out....especially taking note of his caps in his tank shot, they're alk hungry

3.  Yes his tank is small, making it easier to dose and change levels....water changes on small tanks actually increase the subsequent risk for alk swings, which can be detrimental

4.  Working through this is a great way for him to learn about his tank and about caring for his corals from a long-term standpoint.  Yes, he states he is "new" to reefing, but his tank shot and questions alone tell a different story.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic