Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easy to keep list of SPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easy to keep list of SPS
    Posted: October 29 2012 at 8:40am
Hello out there!  Would you mind sharing your list of the SPS corals that in your opinion are easier to keep than some?  And if they have amazing colors add that too.

Now that my 65 gallon is up and running, after I educate myself about all of the extra stuff I should test for and dosing and all that stuff (since I've had to do NONE of that with my Biocube), I want to try my luck with a few SPS corals and see how it goes.

Also, can you successfully have a very mixed reef tank - softies, LPS and SPS?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 8:53am
I'd recommend any monti, green slimer, birdsnest, blue torts, etc.

I think you can successfully have a mixed tank.
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 10:55am
Brown DIGI!!!!!!
I would first start out with plain montipora, then try a ugly birdsnest. Then perhaps a ugly acro.. Now when i say ugly its only because ugly are usually just plain jane and wont end up costing you money if you do lose them.. 

Yes you can have a mixed reef, thats what i have, ranging from: Zoas, shrooms, Monti, acros, Lobos and so on.. 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:45am
Any digi, most montiporas, most birdsnest are all super hardy. As far as acropora they are usually more tempermental but there is a few that are hardy and keep there color really well. A few that come to mind are green slimer, purple slimer, and tri color valida.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:52am
It is very easy to have a successful mixed reef. Just stay away from the known chemical war fighters. I wouldn't put any leathers in mine. Run lots of carbon. Then it's is all about placement. Knowing which coral likes high flow low light high light etc. Everybody goes through trial and error about things stinging each other but you just move one and learn for future reference. Good luck.
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 8:31pm
What is wrong with leathers in a mixed tank? I haven't ever heard bad about them before.
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Crzyfshguy Crzyfshguy wrote:

What is wrong with leathers in a mixed tank? I haven't ever heard bad about them before.

They are known to release huge amounts of toxins. Doesn't mean it's impossible to keep leathers in a mixed reef just that your others corals MAY not be as happy as they could be without the slimy leather things.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 12:18am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

They are known to release huge amounts of toxins. Doesn't mean it's impossible to keep leathers in a mixed reef just that your others corals MAY not be as happy as they could be without the slimy leather things.

Personally i do not agree with that at all. Every coral is capable of releasing "huge amounts of toxins" depending on thier size. Sps are just as capable of releasing toxins as leathers.
I have kept leathers and sps in my "mixed reef" tank for over 4 years with no ill affects.
Nothing personal just a difference in experience and opinion.

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 4:26am
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

Personally i do not agree with that at all. Every coral is capable of releasing "huge amounts of toxins" depending on thier size. Sps are just as capable of releasing toxins as leathers.
I have kept leathers and sps in my "mixed reef" tank for over 4 years with no ill affects.
Nothing personal just a difference in experience and opinion.

Fair enough :). However, consider this. There are many poisonous snakes. Are some not more poisonous than others?

Paul, I know that you personally perform water changes very religiously and if I remember correctly, you run carbon in your system as well. That would be a good reason for your success. I don't think anyone is saying it is not possible, just that it is something to take into consideration when choosing corals in a mixed reef.

Edited by BillyC - October 30 2012 at 4:30am
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 6:52am
When I started keeping sps, I found corals like pocillopora, stylophora, and seriatopora were very pretty , easy, and cheap. I consider them to be easier than montis since montis can be quite sensitive to low alkalinity.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

When I started keeping sps, I found corals like pocillopora, stylophora, and seriatopora were very pretty , easy, and cheap. I consider them to be easier than montis since montis can be quite sensitive to low alkalinity.

+1

I'd go with pocillopora, stylophora, and seriatopora if you're worried about having problems.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2012 at 3:25pm
Thanks everyone for you opinions.  I've made a list and know what I should be looking for when I'm ready!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic