Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral food fish food?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brandon1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral food fish food?
    Posted: November 04 2012 at 12:46pm
Dose anyone make there coral reef food and fish food If so I want to make a bunch because buying from stores is killing me lol!! If anyone has any receipes please share!!

Thanks !!!!!!
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 1:43pm
I make my own with the recipe in the link (scroll down the page.)

I should note that what you might make at home isn't terribly much cheaper than some of the LFS around. You can get the raw seafood mixes at some of the Asian groceries (as well as the non-flavored seaweed.)

Link

Edited by ReefdUp - November 04 2012 at 3:03pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 2:58pm
your link is all brokie
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 3:04pm
Fixed
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 6:41pm
Thats cool. It is just practicly a mixture of all fish foods/ fish foodish items that are healthy for them. Why do you feed at night? Is it because the fish wont steal it or is it because thats when the corals polyps come out? Thanks
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 6:55pm
don't take what I say as gospel, I am learning how to do all of this and I don't know squat!!

But I thought at night was when corals did most of their feeding.  They are night feeders.  Isn't that right reefdup?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 7:22pm
Exactly. Many corals/fish can be trained to feed at a particular time, but I have no reason to do that myself. I dose amino acids about an hour before the lights go off, then I feed about an hour after the lights go off.

I also feed early in the mornings when my fish are out and the corals are mostly still out. That gets the best of both worlds.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 8:47pm
I really didnt know that corals are night feeders! now - this leads me to a stupid question - take frog spawn for an example - is that why there mouth are open more at night? But when the lights are off, they retract there "tentacles", does that have to do anything with it? or like zoanthids, they close up when the lights are off........ hmmm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 9:06pm
I don't think all corals are night feeders (just like how some fish are active at night while others sleep.) Like you said, zoanthids often close up at night.

Corals seem to go through a few different stages at night...or at least they seem to, to me...and I've observed this with corals in the wild as well. When the lights first go out, they don't look too abnormal. After about 30 minutes things actually start looking a bit stressed...maybe some shriveling...maybe some tissue retraction. After about an hour or more, the tentacles start to really come out to feed on all the particulates in the water. At night there's a lot of water column activity (lots of things mate at night...upon which the corals will feed.) You'll probably notice this mostly with LPS - Acans, scolymias, favias, etc. all have some serious tentacles. It also seems like SPS corals extend their tentacles later in the night (this may be due to different particulate size in the water column later?)

I've got some great night tentacle shots I'll have to dig up...I'm sure others do too. Just because you're going to bed doesn't mean everything else is! :)
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 9:13pm
Hahaha aswome. Well unfortionatly I dont have any lps yet, but i have seen videos on youtube of acans and favias extending out thier tentalces and feeding on mysis shrimp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 6:24am
Thanks Reefdup! Ill hit the stored and try this!!
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 3:58pm
Haha sorry Brandon1985 I kinda started stealing your thread:P
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 4:09pm
Brandon - I'm sure there's a local Asian grocery near you...just grab one of the raw seafood mix packs (they're pretty cheap) and some unroasted unflavored seaweed there. It'll be a lot cheaper than a regular grocer, and you'll have more selection. :)
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 7:38pm
Thanks reefdup and tfmreefs you are way fine the more info people can give is the better for all of us lol I learned alot to lol!! So SPS corals will be able to eat this mix to? I have birdnest thats not looking the best right now all the lvls are good.
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 8:49pm
To feed sps, you'll probay need to blend it for about 15 minutes (give your blender plenty of breaks to keep it from overheating.) I usually blend half the food to small pieces for my fish, and then I blend the other half to incredibly fine particles.

Saying that though, contrary to common belief, photosynthetic corals get very little energy from caught food. Most comes from photosynthesis. I only recommend feeding for sps when running a lownitrient tank where the sps look more pale than desirable...or if they're bleached from lighting. I'd rule out other causes for your birdsnest before feeding.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic