Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange fish behavior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange fish behavior
    Posted: November 06 2012 at 3:05pm
I moved my fish from my small tank into my new 65 gallon tank over the weekend.  My two clowns were capitive bred and are still quite young.  They don't seem to have any idea about hosting anything, so I'm unsure about even getting an anemone for them as they seem to enjoy swimming here and there in this new tank.  And now they have a lot more swimming room and seem to be enjoying it.

Now my young foxface rabbit fish -- well that is a different story.  He also is enjoying the swimming space, but he is also hosting my toadstool coral.  LOL That coral was in the smaller tank with him and I never saw that behavior.  In the larger tank, he swims inside this coral and hangs out now and then, and the coral doesn't seem to mind.  I just saw my two clowns swimming over to him taking a hosting lesson.

Has anyone else experienced a young fish other than a clownfish hosting a coral before?  These 3 fish act like best friends; they are rarely apart from each other.  I wonder if my clowns may learn to host from this other fish?
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 3:30pm
Not sure about the foxface but clowns I've seen take awhile before hosting and other times I've had them go straight to the anemone. It was really funny my little brother was asking me the same thing cause he had a clown for a few months that hadnt hosted the anemone yet and that same night he text me a pic and said never mind. The clown found it.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 3:37pm
ps-still want to see some pics of your 65 : )

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 5:20pm
I doubt it will teach them to host it but who knows what is going through their little brains. My black ice clowns that are tank breed obviously, took about a week to find a anemone they liked. I have read that people have near 100% success if they catch the clowns then put them in a acclimation box with a anemone for a few days. I have not tried it but sounds like it would work..
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 6:38pm
I've seen a few small fish (including a rabbitfish) that have hosted temporarily - it seems to be a protection mechanism. They seem to do it when they're young, and as they gain comfort with their surroundings, they seem to move out a bit further.

That's my best guess......
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 5:23pm

UPDATE:  I did some internet searching and found some other forums where people had posted that their foxface is hosting in a toadstool.  I also found a couple of pictures of them doing that.  Mine tends to start hosting in it as my lights are starting to go off at nite.  Last nite I looked for him after all the lights were off and he was asleep in the toadstool with his colors completely faded.  Otherwise, he swims all over the tank with the other fish throughout the day. 

Edited by Molli - November 09 2012 at 5:24pm
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 6:57pm
That's pretty cool!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic