Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas Haven't Grown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 6:38pm
I use oyster feast, roti feast and phyto feast now but what i used to do is puree brine shrimp and blood worms into a fine liquid.
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 6:59pm
thanks for the info
Vipers look cool at a distant, but be careful of the bite..its a killer!

Still to many cool stuff not enough money
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by MrViper MrViper wrote:

thanks for the info

+1
I think everyone may have a zoa or two that just didnt want to grow. Thanks all for info and tips!
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 7:35pm
Hey, so i am back here, and i was reading an article saying that you can slit the base of the zoa, not the head, but the lowest part attached to the  rock with a razor blade and theres a good chance that one will sprout. Is this true?....
I also read something about fragging... Like when you frag a zoa into a group with a couple heads, it will grow new ones quickly, but once it hits about 20 or more, it will slow a bit..... Is this true? I would like to try it but i dont want to go cuting up all my corals..... Any imput on this?
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

Hey, so i am back here, and i was reading an article saying that you can slit the base of the zoa, not the head, but the lowest part attached to the  rock with a razor blade and theres a good chance that one will sprout. Is this true?....

I'm sure it has been done but that doesn't mean it will work every time or is a good Idea. I once pulled a frag plug off my rock not realizing that part of my sunny d's were attached to both. One polyp ripped right down the middle, head and all. From that half polyp I now have several. 

Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

I also read something about fragging... Like when you frag a zoa into a group with a couple heads, it will grow new ones quickly, but once it hits about 20 or more, it will slow a bit..... Is this true? I would like to try it but i dont want to go cuting up all my corals..... Any imput on this?

From what Ive seen the more zoanthids in the colony the faster it will grow. However with the different speeds zoanthids all grow at, you'd have to compare zoanthids that are the exact same
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 9:09pm
Yeah, wasnt sure about some of these... Thanks for the imput Rize
wayne99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 11:02pm
Dose vitamarin c( bright well ) and make sure you have a grounding probe:)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 8:47pm
Ok, little update. I have been feeding 3 times a week (sometimes 4) blended mysis, blood worms, and brine and i have noticed 2 little new heads out of my bright green and orange zoas, 1 smallish  to my mint chocolate chips, 1 to my tiny sky blue and purple ones and 0 to my fire and ice all in 3 weeks exactly. Very gret start

1 question- i leave my lights on 8 ish hours a day, If i leave them on a little longer, will that helpwith growth? And ho long do you guys usually leave your lights on?
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 1:56pm
i have mine on for 11 hours . turning them on longer would help. glad to see the feeding worked
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 7:32am
My blues are on 5 am til 930 and whites on from 7 or 8 am til . 830pm
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 10:22pm
For me, most of my Zoas took about 5 months to settle in, yielding 0-few new heads. I only dose with PhytoFeast and Fuel and do about 5 gals of water change on my 65 gal tank/sump EVERY Sat. though most seem to be slow starters, once they get going they just go and go and go.... and go. I started out with about 15 heads among 3 colonies, I now have about 300+ not including the ones I have given away or sold. Mine have produced so many that I have been able to experiment with placement and lighting conditions without the fear of unnecessary loss. So far, my conclusion is med-high flow, and med-high light and as with most corals/inverts/fish stability and consistency will tend to produce desirable results. 

I'm only about 2 years into the coral game, so for all of you with more experience than me, feel free to give me some pointers as well.

Ryan
Less Technology. More Biology.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic