Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas Haven't Grown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoas Haven't Grown
    Posted: November 08 2012 at 7:46pm
I have had the same zoas since september 2nd and havent seen any new heads. My water levels are all good and everything including them seems happy, but they havent even had one new head yet... Something else I a suposed to do?
Thanks-
Tanner
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 8:27pm
Eh, i wouldnt worry about it. I have a frag of some pink zoanthids, that i have had for a year and only 1 head has popped up, but all my other zoanthids have done fine.  What zoa? is it? 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 8:28pm
I have pink zoas as well thar have been 2 heads for 8 months. Some just go slower
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 6:21am
I believe the prettier ones take longer to reproduce, but my standard green and orange zoanthids are not the kind to wait. My eagle eyes take a while though.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 7:07am
I was told these are incredible hulks, but honestly to me they dont look like that..... They are just a darker green and a brownish color.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 7:09am
Pic? Might be mint chocolate chips but again here's where the name game sucks

larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 3:35pm
I think that the growth kind of depends on the zoa I have a green and orange colony that has been in my tank for like 9 months and i haven't seen hardly any new heads on the other hand i have some yellow ones that i got a frag of 5 heads of and like 4 months later i have atleast 30 heads if not more.

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by willrileyiv willrileyiv wrote:

Pic? Might be mint chocolate chips but again here's where the name game sucks

Heres what they look like, but theres not even that much green in the centers. I have fiteen heads, and no more, and its been that way ( the pic is off the internet)

Edited by tfmreefs - November 09 2012 at 9:19pm
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 10:24am
try spot feeding them. just read a article about it and i think im going to try it. They mentioned using food pellets, small version of course, and they have seen good growth. 
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 11:06am
They look just like my.mint chocolate chips. I target feed all my zoas....some eat some don't. I. Use mysis and that fuel stuff mixed in. Some just grow faster then others man

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 11:30am
awsome, thanks man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 12:43pm
Np. Text me at 253-861-6548 and ill send you some pics of some of my zoas

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 10:19am
Sorry my phone doesnt get pics... its dumb, but you could post or pm it
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 10:50am
I have a picture of my mint chocolate chips on my tank build, try giving them more light I have like 10 new heads in the last month. Its about 16 inches under my 250 watt halide.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 2:02am
I was just going to suggest more light... All mine do better with good lighting...
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:03pm
Cool, well I raised them up higher so I hope that helps!
saltyjarhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 1:46pm
I was just curious what everyone is saying. I have the same problem. I thought I had to much light because they look like they are trying to move away from it whenever I put them somewhere in the tank. I have been turning my LED's down for awhile , but some are looking good and reproducing and others are not. Seems like they're little skirts are getting skinnier and loosing color. I guess I will just keep messing with it.
Semper Fi
You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carfully.

Josh Giles
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 2:56pm
What you can do is put them into a darker area. If they need more light, you'll see they actually stretch out to get it. At that point, you can move them into a slightly brighter section and watch for the same thing.

What kind of light and how high do you have it off the water? My zoas always have done well with the bright LEDs I have, its usually the frogspawn and others that fade with too bright of a light. Also, make sure you check your water quality and do water changes often. Mine started to brown out when I wasn't. If you're seeing that, do some water changes and they should come back in a few weeks.
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 10:21pm
i would start spot feeding. i used to not spot feed and all my corals grew really slow. now i spot feed everything,  even cheapo zoas and everything grows way faster. 
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 6:30pm
what are you spot feeding?
Vipers look cool at a distant, but be careful of the bite..its a killer!

Still to many cool stuff not enough money
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic