Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chasing a Ghost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chasing a Ghost
    Posted: November 11 2012 at 9:01pm
Has anyone ever seen anything in there tank that they can't explain?
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 9:57pm
Yup, twice.

Once many years ago I had a 40g sps dominant tank, and no matter what, my birdsnests, montis, and acros were dying. Come to find out later that is was low potassium...back before there were test kits or any real information on the symptoms.

The other time everything started dying...so I did water changes...and things kept getting worse. Thankfully I ran out of salt and switched to another brand. Turns out, it was a bad batch of salt.

I hate those weird random things.....
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 9:08am
Lucky on the salt thing, at least it didn't wipe out your whole tank. my one thing I couldnt explain was a couple of my chalices were receding couldn't figure out why. Just random sections would be gone. Until I put a new one in and my peppermint shrimp ate a eye and I caught the sneaky punk. Since he's been gone everything has been healing up nicely.
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Yup, twice.

Once many years ago I had a 40g sps dominant tank, and no matter what, my birdsnests, montis, and acros were dying. Come to find out later that is was low potassium...back before there were test kits or any real information on the symptoms.

The other time everything started dying...so I did water changes...and things kept getting worse. Thankfully I ran out of salt and switched to another brand. Turns out, it was a bad batch of salt.

What do you mean bad batch of salt? Can salt go bad??
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 9:13am
Oh no, I lost just about everything with the bad salt. I had a 200g bucket and was doing water changes on a 40g...took a while to run out. Just glad we caught the problem before I tore everything down and gave up.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Yup, twice.

What do you mean bad batch of salt? Can salt go bad??

A few years ago a particular company had at least one batch that was bad. Some reefkeepers in Europe had the same problem I was having and found it contained insane levels of organics. Not sure that was the problem, but it was the only thing we could easily test. We contacted the manufacturer and ne er heard back. I assume that sort of thing is rare...but look at what just happened with Kent's carbon.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 10:18am
Oh, jeez I was thinking that you meant the salt can go "bad" Like food... haha  I was going to say I leave my salt out sometimes:0 But I guess it cant go "rotten"
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 12:21pm
I had a Bobbitt worm once that was 30" long and no one knew it existed until we pulled the aquascaping apart and rebuilt the rock structure.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 4:19am
Originally posted by Corey Price Corey Price wrote:

I had a Bobbitt worm once that was 30" long and no one knew it existed until we pulled the aquascaping apart and rebuilt the rock structure.

Ahhhhh!!!!! That's always been my worst fear.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 7:40am
what is a bobbitt worm?
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 8:56am
looked online and it looked like a bristle worm??? Are they the same?
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 8:59am
30 inches that's crazy! Found this molt one day had like a little be stinger.

Edited by Dionysus - November 13 2012 at 9:07am
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 9:08am
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 9:09am
No idea why they flipped sideways
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by bmac2 bmac2 wrote:

what is a bobbitt worm?

See it here:

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47072&KW=Bobbit
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by bmac2 bmac2 wrote:

what is a bobbitt worm?

They are worms in the genus Eunice. In the wild they can get up to 30-50 feet long. I think the longest one found in an aquarium so far was just over 6 feet long. Many are just scavengers, but like many wild things, they'll eat whatever in order to survive.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 12:55pm
Reefdup any idea what my picture is? I was told it could be a molt of a rock crab?
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 12:57pm
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 4:22pm
If I had to guess, I'd probably guess a mantis shrimp.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Dionysus Dionysus wrote:

Reefdup any idea what my picture is? I was told it could be a molt of a rock crab?

Yeeesh, it's hard to tell from that photo (not even sure I'd know it if I saw it in person.)

My best guess from the photo is a gall crab. How big was the molt?

This is a live female for reference:

Edited by ReefdUp - November 15 2012 at 6:17pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic