Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish ethics updated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish ethics updated
    Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:05am
This is a big deal where I work.  Not sure if anyone here wants to discuss this or learn more about the ethics of fish keeping but here are a couple new guidelines that SAIA posted today...

Unsuitable Species  (don't buy them)
http://www.saia-online.eu/images/stories/uploads/SAIA-list%20of%20unsuitable%20species.pdf

Unsustainable Species (don't buy them)
http://www.saia-online.eu/images/stories/uploads/SAIA-list%20of%20ecologically%20unsustainable%20species.pdf

This list is sure to draw some attention.  I'm sure we'll draft up a response shortly as will many others (pointing out where we disagree with them) but it is food for thought.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 10:13am
most of the stuff I see on there makes sense.  Like all the sharks and rays that everyone thinks is cool.  I didn't see anything there that I personally know enough to disagree with them. But then again, I know so little at this stage of doing salt water aquariums that I probably wouldn't catch anything anyway.
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 10:20am
And I noticed it said unsuitable for the average hobbyist 
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 10:24am
does that mean that if you aren't average you are ABBEY-normal hobbyist you are ok?
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 12:45pm
Haha, I just said that because looking at the list, there are people here who have some of the things and at least in their pics they seem to be doing well. They are things though that I wouldn't try. 
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 12:57pm
I didn't see a lot that surprised me but maybe I missed something. Love the comment on the Achilles Tang- "Don't attempt without massive UV sterilizer"...

I would agree with the anemonefish prognosis- not good from the wild but darn near bullet-proof from a breeder.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 1:54pm
well, a lot of the things they list they say if they are captive bred, go for it.  As long as you know what you are doing and have the setup for them, AND the source of the ones you got weren't wild captured, then no big deal.  Most of what I saw they listed are endangered species being hammered to fill orders for aquariumists like us.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic