Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

black sun coral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black sun coral
    Posted: November 14 2012 at 1:33pm
Does anyone have experience with these?I have Been offered one for sale at a good price and was wondering if I should get it. I would like to get it but what's something's about them I should know?
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 3:20pm
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 3:55pm
I have read it but I think there different since mine is just black and his is branching

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 4:42pm
Here's a recent picture of Dave's Black Sun Coral from the October 2012 TOTM:

I'd say it is still doing well Wink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 5:28pm
Cool, Whos dave, is he on the forum?..... I would like to talk to someone who has had it...
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

Cool, Whos dave, is he on the forum?..... I would like to talk to someone who has had it...

DLindquist
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 5:52pm
Thats a dendro, different than a sun coral, I think?

Edited by chuckfu - November 14 2012 at 5:53pm
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 5:59pm
yeah... I do too think that..
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:03pm
I have experience with a yellow sun coral.  They all need to be fed, and they are generally nite feeders, although you can train them to open during the day for feedings.  The smaller the tank you have, the morely likely you are going to pollute your tank if you have corals that need to be handfed.  Also, depending upon the fish and other creatures you have in your tank, they can get wise to these handfeedings and steal the food.  Some people put a container over these corals when they are feeding to keep other tank inhabitants from stealing their food.

Edited by Molli - November 14 2012 at 6:05pm
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:04pm

Thanks Molli!

If you guys were offered them at a good price, would you get them?
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

Thanks Molli!

If you guys were offered them at a good price, would you get them?
The one I had was in my rather shallow fishless frag tank so it was not a problem to hand feed it.  I would not have one in my 65 gallon tank .. its too deep for me to bother with a baster to hand feed it several times a week and I'm certain my fish and definitely my cleaner shrimp would be right there when I was feeding it.  Mine was trained to stay open all day though so I could feed it different times during the day.  Its pretty amazing how much they can eat!  Sometimes I would see two heads with an end of one  brine shrimp in each mouth and they were sucking it down like they were sharing a piece of spaghetti LOL
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:15pm
hahahaha thats awsome

Anyone else know some one or has/had sun coral, specificly black?
What are the main guidlines to suncoral in general?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:32pm
PM sent.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 7:52pm
Thanks for all that info!
camarolover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 8:14pm
I have had a black sun coral for around 8 months or so. It was doing great until I frag it and it slowly went south from there. I started with two or three heads and had over a hundred when I fraged it, and I was very careful when I cut it. I also have a orange one that I have had for a year but I havn't fed it as often as the first one until the last month or so.I just picked up two more sun corals, a black one and a yellow one. The black one didn't look so good when I got it-receding flesh. It might not make it but the yellow one is doing alright. I also just found that my phosphates are very high-I have a older test kit that I thought was still good.I love the sun coral but you have to feed them often. I was feeding my first one every night and it really took off but I do have a dirter tank then most. I don't do water changes as often as I need to- when I get around to it every three to four months or so. I now am trying to get better so I can try acans and others. I do have denros and duncans also and they like to be fed. These have grown very well-easily doubled in size in six months or so.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 8:19pm
Also that photo looks like sun coral to me. My Dendos have much bigger heads then what that one looks like.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 10:16pm
Thank you so much for the info. So from feedings they grow pretty fast? And the problem was that u tried fragging it or the phosphates? Because if they grow fast I don't want to be the
one to frag it.....:S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarolover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 8:12am
My phosphates was ok when I fragged it, but this was around three years ago. I got rid of my sun corals because I was to busy to feed them every night. Now I know that they are one coral I have good luck with. Go with what you know. I don' t have much success with some others because I feed so much I think.
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 8:42am
I have a head of dendro that is growing two new.heads after forever and three heads of black sun coral and they are both open during the day. I feed mine every other day and my fish actually stay away from them and let them eat lol. I have a 90 gallon and they are both in my sand bed. They aren't hard to take care of if you spend the little amount of time to target feed them. I'm 6'1 and have to stand on a stool and stretch to feed them but if you love certain coral you will find the time to take care of them. If you wanna come check out my reef tornado tank lol just pm me and we can set up a time
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 1:28am
I feed my chalices freeze dried krill i'm sure it would work for you to.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic