Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harlequin shrimp with coral banded

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harlequin shrimp with coral banded
    Posted: November 15 2012 at 5:43pm
I have some asterina stars invading my tank so I was thinking of getting a harlequin shrimp to help with the problem, I've read about people having issues with there coral banded shrimp killing other shrimp. I have a cleaner shrimp and 2 peppermints and the CBS doesn't bother them at all. Maybe they will be fine, the only other thing I read is the HS is a slow moving shrimp so will this make it a easy target for the CBS? Any suggestions or info would be great thanks
-Zach-
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 6:03pm
I've never tried it...but...

Usually things only fight if they look similar (fighting for mates) or eat similar food. In this case, neither is true. My Harlequins after about 6 months now are absolutely huge. I doubt a banded coral shrimp would mess with them. Harlequins are only slow when they want to be - I've seen them move FAST!

Anyway, I don't see it being a problem, but I don't have first hand experience.

Saying all that...

I am personally against buying Harlequins to solve an asterina problem. Harlequins are secretive shrimp that prefer to stay in a cave, hunt for a bit, and then drag their kill back to the cave. They aren't the type to go hunting all day to just eat whatever they find along the way. Even if they could and did eat all the asterinas, it wouldn't sustain them long at all. I would still suggest supplementing their diet with a real starfish leg every week or two just to make sure they aren't starving.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 6:26pm
Great info thanks! Ya I was planning on getting one to help with the asterina over time and I was also told about feeding the a starfish leg weekly and was planning on doing that also just wanted to make sure.
-Zach-
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 8:09pm
Mine never had an issue together
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic