Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting the tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting the tank?
    Posted: November 17 2012 at 11:53am
I am debating painting the back panel of my tank. I currently have a sheet of blue vinyl on the back and i hate how it clashes with my black overflow, and how it gets ripples in it. I prefer the blue color but wonder if there is a safe paint i can apply inside the tank? Or should i leave the overflow alone and paint the rear panel black to match?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 11:59am
I always paint the back side of the tank. Never the inside.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 12:02pm
I don't think there's anything to paint the overflow with that will work.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 12:29pm
Thats what i was assuming. But it never hurts to ask. Guess i will just paint the back of the tank black.... Is there a preferred paint to use? (latex, enamel, oil,etc)
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 1:08pm
We used black vinyl on the back of our 265G. Impervious to water. Looks awesome.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 1:41pm
I personally like to paint my tanks black on the back. I use the latex paint sold for use in crafts and such. So that it can easily be removed if I ever sale the tank. It just peels right off.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 3:01pm
I think that iam one of only afew that does not paint the backs of my tanks.
Reason: The very first meeting i ever went to with WMAS was a Professor out of Texas (if i recall right)
that specialized in keeping clams. (iam sure someone could let you know who it was).Anyway they test showed that it was better for  Lighting purposes the the tank remained unpainted. All that  have seen my tank knows that i do not even allow coraline to grow on the back. I have a HOB Overflow that i just corvered the rear box and hoses with Black material. so it could not be seen. The front one. Not much you can do with it other than buy a drilled tank with built it overflows.  
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 3:50pm
I use rustolium black.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

I use rustolium black.

Me too.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 7:11pm
I use an enamel but didn't bother on the last tank and it really didn't matter.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 8:27pm
I prefer black as it is the best for photography. Blue draws too much attention and without something on the back you can see whatever is behind the tank (wall, wires, plumbing, etc.) and it has an unnatural green tint to it.

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 8:58pm
I use black rustolium also.

On another note, its been a few years since I have seen the last 4 people post in a row....good to see guys!!!

Edited by badfinger - November 18 2012 at 9:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic