Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plumbing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MarineAquatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 11:53pm

well where do you work at so people know. And I am not here to argue with any one so unless U have explaned a closed loop wrong I will never tell somone to hook a pump up like that my fax #is 849-8963 if you want to fax a diagram so I might under stand a little better. Or U can call me directly at  897-2000.

PS if this is your definition on closed loop (closed loop circulation system is... think of a pump drawing suction directly out of the tank and returning it. Quote from Jon)I am wondering if you tell people to do it like this and what your warranty is on your pumps. And I do not appreciate your nonchalant personal attack

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 1:14am

You can send them your info and there good about getting back to you.http://www.iwakipumps.jp/products_e/e_iwaki_products_f.html

I do my reseach so I can give my customers the BEST info possable..and if I don't have the info I will do what I can to find out...

THANKS Ryan

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 8:31am

Ryan,

I'm sorry if I've offended you...I did not mean to.  Truly, I did not mean to attack you, all I asked was "why do you say that?".  I will aways ask for clarification when I don't understand (or agree) with what someone says.  It might be that one of us isn't clearly understanding the other, or it just might be a difference of opinion.  I hope I never attack someone on this (or any other) forum... life's too short to live it angry.

I'm a chemical engineer at an oil refinery, I don't sell pumps but I do buy, specify and troubleshoot them all the time.  I might not understand why my alveopora is dying, but I do understand pumps. 

I've used closed loop circulation on my tanks before without any undue stress on the pump.  Many people do the same thing... go to reef central and do a search on "closed loop".  To satitisfy your desires, I just got off the phone (508-429-1440, give 'em a call) with Iwaki's pump technical support.  Other then me feeling like a fool to even ask "does it matter if one of your MD series pumps has 5 ft of suction pressure", the conversation went just as I expected.  There is nothing wrong with doing it.  When you call be sure to explain that the water is drawn out of the tank and falls 5 ft to the pump, this gives you 5 ft of suction pressure at the pump.

BTW, http://www.iwakiwalchem.com/ is a better web site, it has the pump curves and installation instructions for the WMD/MD series pumps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 9:26am

I talked to Miguel and he sayed that the way I have explained it it would chause the impelor to vibrate causing undu friction and heat. And that it would not be good on magdrive pumps thanks Ryan 897-2000

Miguel 1-508-429-1440 teck suport

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 9:44am

Closed loop systems are very common.  In fact they were in use long before our "sump systems" were popularized.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 9:49am

I think the misunderstanding is from the use of the word suction.  While I think Jon's explanation was dead on I think that MarineAquatics took "suction" to mean restricted inflow to the pump.  From what I have heard you should always restrict the flow on the output side of the pump so the pump will not "starve"....

Dave

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 10:03am

I too talked to Miguel.  You didn't explain it properly to him.  He thinks you're trying to run the pump with 5 ft NEGATIVE pressure.  You can not operate any pump with negative suction side pressure, it will cavitate.  Cavitation causes impellars and casings to brake or crack.  All pumps need a minimum NPSH (net positive suction head) to operate.  If the suction pressure is greater then NPSH then great (as long as it doesn't exceed the pump casing or seal pressure rating).

What you have when you use a closed loop is 5 ft of POSITIVE pressure at the suction side of the pump.  Talk to him again, tell him you have 5 ft of POSITVE pressure on the suction side of the pump.  Better yet, ask him if he has interent access and send him to this thread... maybe he can participate!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 10:46am

I just talked to Miguel he was very impressed he said we are both right he said it depends on much more then just NPSH it also has to do with total dinamic head TDH which at 5 feet would be 38.5. Miguel said he never seen people so serious about pumps  I guess in the big picture we both are right. I didnt mean to offend you Joh or anyone else in the forum if i did im sorry.

Ryan.....

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 12:20pm

If you are going to put a pump under your tank and have to do all the plumbing for it, why not just put a refugia and sump underneath also?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 12:47pm

Ryan, no harm, no foul.  I'm not (and wasn't) offended, sorry again if I offended you.

If you're really interested (most aren't, as Miquel knows ), perhaps we could get together sometime and go over NPSH and TDH (total dynamic head) for pumps.  Short form:  the NPSH required is very dependent on the vapor pressure of the liquid being pumped and the type of pump.  The actual NPSH is an absolute pressure and takes into account atmospheric pressure, static head, frictional pressure losses and velocity of fluid.

Here are some guidelines I use here at the refinery, but they're just as applicable to our pumping systems for sizing suction piping:

1.  Use the pump's total rated flow for all calculations.

2.  Suction lines should not normally be smaller then the pump suction nozzle.

3.  To prevent cavitation in the pump, suction line velocities should not exceed 10 ft/sec unless there is substantial lenght (at least 6 pipe diameters) of straight pipe immediately upstream of the pump.  Seriously consider 5 - 6 ft/sec maxium velocity for new systems.

4.  Block valves on the suction line should be full port (i.e. ball valves), but should only be used for isolation of the pump.  Suction flow should never be throttled.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 1:01pm
No problem
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 1:48pm

If you guys are going to get together to discuss NPSH and TDH then you are Real NERDS!  Just Joking!

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 2:23pm

... did somebody say nerd?

rfoote, who's the nerd?  I bet you know why token ring networks fell out of favor !  And anyone here who knows the difference between IDE and SCSI, brobably has a pocket protector...  Just kiddin' too.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 2:26pm
I know what the difference is between IDE ans SCSI and I don't have a pocket protector.  But then again, I am a nerd in disguise.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 2:43pm
Jon - I loved token ring!  I won't get into why but imo much more efficient and easier to troubleshoot then ethernet.
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 2:52pm

Anyone can borrow my pocket protector that wants to! (I have several)

Mike
Layton, Ut.
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 3:45pm
IDE and SCSI means you are just a little more educated than most. Token ring knowledge gets one closer, however a true nerd would love configuring an ADSL modem on a 386 running windows 3.1 with 4 Megs of RAM remotely through a BNC connection. Ahhh.....how sweet it is.
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 4:01pm
I hated/hate Token Ring.  I managed a Token Ring Network for years.  In fact I still have a IBM Turbo 16/4 ISA Token Ring card new still in the box.  Any takers?
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 4:03pm
Quote: Originally posted by Marcus on 17 June 2003

If you are going to put a pump under your tank and have to do all the plumbing for it, why not just put a refugia and sump underneath also?

Let's say I want 8 times tank volume per hour of tank circulation and I want a refugium.  What are your feelings on flowing that much water through the refugium?  I would rather flow a lower amount through the 'fuge (say 1 times tank volume per hour).  There are a couple ways to do this (possibly more).  Let's assume 150 gallon tank (1200 gph tank circulation and 150 gpm to refugium)

One way to do this is to get a pump big enough to circulate 1350 gph at a head pressure of, let's use 7 ft (5 ft vertical head and 2 ft frictional loss).  Now we use a sump that has a refugium that's separate from the tank overflow stream, so not all of the tank overflow has to go through the refugium.  Spill back, from the pump discharge,  150 gph to fuge and push the other 1200 gph back into the tank.  This would require an Iwaki 70RT ($290).

Now let's circulate the same amount of water into the tank using a closed loop pump and a separate return pump for the refugium.  The refugium needs a pump that'll do 150 gpm at 7 ft head pressure (RIO 2100 or Supreme Mag-Drive 3, $30 - $35).  The closed loop needs a pump that'll do 1200 gph at 2 ft head (only have frictional losses).  Use an Iwaki 40RXT ($160).  That's a total of $190 - $195. 

As you can see, sometimes it cheaper to go the closed loop route (the economics get even better with bigger tanks and greater circulation rates).  Also, you never have to worry about loosing suction (priming) or syphoning water onto the floor with the closed loop pump when recovering from a power failure (it's self contained no need for syphon breaks on the return piping).  The drawback is you've got to have room for two pumps and that's two pumps that can have problems rather then one.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 5:02pm

I agree that not all your water flow into your sump should go through your refugia for a couple reasons; one being that it would blow the substrate all to hell since it would be 1200 gph or so, also because your refugia will do a better job "cleaning" the water if its go through slowly.  I have always belived that.  I am very concerned with how things look, even under my tank.  I have a 40 gallon breeder under my 120 that is split into two compartments by a piece of acrylic that has slits cut in it at the top.  On the left is my sump and on the right is my refugia.  The overflow on the right side on my tank is split and drains into both compartments with ball valves on the bottom of either pipe.  The overflow on the left goes directly into my sump and doesn't even go into my refugia at all.  It also has a ball valve on the bottom of it, so I can back up the water level in my overflows to quiet the noise.  Also I can regulate the amount of water that goes into my refugia from the ball valves on the overflow on the right.  This way, I get about 10%-20% of the water into my refugia.  The water flows over the acrylic very slowly into my sump from my refugia.  My Iwaki 40RLXT runs both returns as well as my Berlin skimmer.  Between the sump and the Iwaki under my tank, there would not be any room left over to put anything else.  I do believe that the method that you listed above would work for me if I had adequate room, but that's more pumps to run, more plumbing to do, and more power bills to pay.  For me, I like the way I have got it.  The only thing that I am conciderring changing is putting a S.Q.W.D. in-line.  Those things are awesome.  Also, if you set everything up correctly, there is no concern when the power goes out.  I have lost power a couple times and not had any problems.    And I do disperse a lot of heat this way.  I think I would have to use a lot of fans if I had a close loop on it.  Especially because that's more motors that the water had to run through.  The only downfall that I see is that I evaporate a ton of water.  Close to 10-15 gallons a week. 

I would love to see the light show you have got on your 20 gallon tank.  That is amazing!  I remember when you bought the clam from me (I didn't know who you were) and asked you if had enough light.  I almost fell over when you told me that you had a halide on it.  Haha!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic