Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new 90gal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new 90gal
    Posted: November 29 2012 at 12:19pm
Hello there reefers.

I bought Laird's old 90 gallon setup with sump. I'm still working on getting everything pieced together, but I wanted to let you all know that I'm here and excited. I am determined to match the beauty of Laird's old setup but in my own special way. I can't wait to see 3-4 fish and some nice corals. Hoping to get the tank cycled and equalized around the new year. If everything goes well, then I will make my first livestock purchase of 1 new fish for my birthday on the 10th of January!!!

Let me know what you think of my current work and PLEASE leave some pointers for a newbie.

All sand has been washed. Sump has been setup. Pump installed. All fittings tight, and fuge lighting ready to go. 

My next plans include:
1. Mixing new salt water (with RO/DI H2O) to fill small portion of display tank. (Probably half way).
2. Put my rocks in place and make it pretty. I will do 2 islands. 1 larger than the other. With a small bridge.
3. Seed my system with some live sand and water from Laird's tank.
4. Fill tank completely and get the pump circulating. Also, power heads for proper movement and agitation.
5. Setup refugium with rock rubble, a DSB with extremely find sand, my heaters, and some algae.
6. Wait 4-6 weeks for the parameters to cycle and return to safe.
7. BUY A FISH!!!!

What am I missing?

Edited by Inthenameofweez - November 29 2012 at 12:41pm
-Clayton
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 2:01am

welcome !!!!!!  First thing I would do is start a tank thread so you and others can watch your progress. Second thing I would do after you scape it is see what others love about their tanks and what they would do different if they could. That way you can change it before you add live stock its so much easier ....Example my first tank my rock was too close to the glass I couldnt slip a mag float inbetween the rock and glass LOL  Call it a brain fart or inexperience I wouldnt do that again !! Step 3 its yours do what you like! If your really new you will learn as you go and good luck in this great hobby just be cautious as you will be addicted soon...Thumbs Up Oh and the guy who solld you that tank , he is hella smart ask questions

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 9:01am
I wouldn't put sand in the refugium, but that is just my opinion. 
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

welcome !!!!!!  First thing I would do is start a tank thread so you and others can watch your progress. Second thing I would do after you scape it is see what others love about their tanks and what they would do different if they could. That way you can change it before you add live stock its so much easier ....Example my first tank my rock was too close to the glass I couldnt slip a mag float inbetween the rock and glass LOL  Call it a brain fart or inexperience I wouldnt do that again !! Step 3 its yours do what you like! If your really new you will learn as you go and good luck in this great hobby just be cautious as you will be addicted soon...Thumbs Up Oh and the guy who solld you that tank , he is hella smart ask questions

+1   

Its so hard to be patient in this hobby but patience will definitely go a long ways! talk to other reefers and go check out as many setup as you can.   welcome!

rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 5:05pm
i got some good advice from builderofdreams on my first set up.. i started all dry, buy just one fresh shrimp.. and burry it in your sand while you cycle.. you get all the good bacteria to help push things along.. if you need any macro, and ever get to utah county, i have a ton of chaeto and calupra. free free free!!
getting fishy??
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 6:43pm
Thank you so much for the welcome. I will make a tank thread as soon as my return pump is running. 
-Clayton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic