Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad news

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
boingodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boingodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad news
    Posted: November 29 2012 at 4:00pm
 I was awoke on Sunday morning by a large bang/pop noise. It wasnt until last night that i determined that my circulation pump blew up in my tank. I have a red sea max and the pumps are located in the back of the tank. When i discovered the pump was burnt i noticed this black stuff all over my hands and the pump. The pump has a hole from where the pump actually burned. My corals all look like they are dying and I need help. I have ordered a new pump but am unsure of what else to do. I performed a water change last night of 5 gallons. Any help in what else i need to do? Is it possible that the corals were electrocuted?

All snails and crabs are dead??? Cry but my fish seem to be ok? Anyone got a cleanup crew for sale on crabs and snails and a cleaner shrimp?

thanks

Brady

hey i didnt buy it to kill it??
jeromy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 4:49pm
are your other inverts ok? electric motors have copper windings, maybe when it melted down it contaminated the water with copper and thats what killed the snails and crabs. Id probably plan a series of water changes. could have put all kinds of toxins into the water. maybe run some carbon too.   
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 4:51pm
I would do water changes over the next week. Do u still have circulation and a heater going? Run chemipure too. Its kinda spendy but it will help.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 4:51pm
This sounds pretty bad. I'd get on this fast before you lose your coral.

See if you can find another reefer in your local area who would be willing to babysit your coral and even fish till you get things settled out.

As for course of action, I'd do another water change, get the water tested, and go from there. Once it's all safe put your coral and fish back in.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - November 29 2012 at 4:54pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boingodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 5:04pm
Ok so im testing the water parameters now and will post the results in the next 20 mins. 

thanks for the responses

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 5:14pm
Do you have the equipment you would need to pull out the living things and put them in something like a big rubbermaid tub with new fresh water, with heater, circulation, etc. just to get them out of the system that may be killing them until you figure out what is going on in your tank?   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boingodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 5:49pm
Ok so i tested everything except for Calcium and all of the parameters look good. Not sure what is going on. I will change out another 5 gallons tomorrow night. Fish seem to be eating ok. The corals just look real bad.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 6:23pm
If it were me (and I have had this happen) Do a 100% or as close to it as possible. Make sure the salinity is the same and the temp is the same. Drain and imediatly refill.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 6:45pm
All inverts and coral sounds like copper
Try, try, try, then give up!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 7:05pm
There are other factors that are in play when a pump burns out like that. The electrical shock to the system, the burnt oil in the tank and micro pollutants that are now involved. I had a maxi jet 1200 do this in my sump of a 180g tank. Devastated it in 2 days. I did 20% water changes with not much help. Did the 100% water change and it looked 100% better the next morning.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 10:48pm
You might run some carbon in a reactor, it couldn't hurt and pulles the harmful things out of the water.

February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 7:20am
Get a Cu test. I have one you can buy for $5
Call or Text (801)834-3119
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 7:30am
I agree with dion, 100% water change. There are a lot of things that could be in the water that we can't test for (without sending it to a lab). The only twist I would add is to get 5% of your 100% water change from another, stable, aquarium. Use a lot of carbon over the next few weeks. Inverts are not only killed by copper, any heavy metal can kill them.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 8:33am
If you find that you have copper in your tank, it will bind to the rock and to the sand.  I've heard it can even bind to the silicone seals, but that it takes a lot of copper to do that.  If it were me, I'd test for copper.  If you have copper I think you either need to turn it into a fish-only tank or remove absolutely everything out of the tank and start over again.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 4:19pm
I too would advise a 100% water change. If there is copper in your system, there is still hope. Even for a full blown reef. We had a very unfortunate experience with some copper laced carbon about six months ago. Our water tested out near .10 and we lost many prized coral colonies. Running some heavy metal sponges (which run about $20 ea.) will absorb the copper out of the system. While I am not set up to test copper levels, I would be happy to swing by and see what I could do to help. 
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic