Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 gallon Pico - Holyzion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 gallon Pico - Holyzion
    Posted: December 01 2012 at 4:59pm
After some thought i decided to start a 3 gallon JBJ Picotope. I decided i would like to keep a Zoa/Mushroom/Acan tank right next to the bed to be able to look at and this was the best solution.

After a painful week of waiting the Picotope is finally here. 

Here is just after the unboxing

I planned on doing the whole kid in tank bit but it slipped my mind which sucks its just big enough to fit him perfectly. Maybe i should put him in his swim trunks and let him go for a dip instead!

I decided i would like to take a different look / approach to this tank. I decided on black marine sand from petco (lets hope this doesn't bite me in the ass later on) and also a minimal rock work. 

here it is on our drawing desk so i can work on the rock work. 

This is where its final home will be, my night stand next to the bed. 

Here it is all set up. AC70 with fuge mod + lights. Our boston decided to check out what i was doing i think he gives it his approval. 

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 5:41pm
Lookin' good, and yay for bostons. Mine enjoys checking out my tank too
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 5:45pm
I love picos!!! I just dont have the patience to keep one. Keep us updated a lot for sure!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 6:04pm
Very nice! My husband had the same one up for about 2 years...really loved it. I think the black sand really makes the corals pop, especially under LEDs. Keep us posted!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 6:34pm
Will do, as far as upgrades go i am planning on going with a Par38 from rapid LED (after cycle) and a Hydor Pico evo-mag 180.

So the current equipment is,

Stock 9W power compact
AC70 / Fuge mod
10W heater. 

As for stocking i would like to keep some low end Zoa's but mostly high-end paly/zoa mix with Ricordia/awesome mushrooms. As for Acans i already have a few i want to move to this tank. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 7:24pm
Dude, I'm a nano fan and that's an awesome tank. Its looking GREAT so far!
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 7:29pm
I have a few nice pieces of rock that you might like for your tank
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

Thanks a ton man! i am excited about it, you always have to hate cycle time.

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by kody72 kody72 wrote:

I have a few nice pieces of rock that you might like for your tank

If we are still on for me stopping by tomorrow i would love to check out the rock, i might go with one more small piece of rock but so far i am pretty happy with how it is set up. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 7:38pm
Yep were still on. I have a few little shelf pieces that would be awesome
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 7:47pm
Good to hear, i cant wait to see your tank. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 7:51pm
My tank ain't nothing special yet until my fish room finished
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 10:59pm
Just ordered a Hydor Theo 25w adjustable heater for the tank. the current 10w heater wont break 72º. 

As for the bulb i am a few weeks out from ordering that still (christmas bonus!)

Nothing else has changed, i am thinking about throwing a small piece of shrimp to kick start the cycle process.

As for fish i am not sure if i plan on keeping any and if i do it will be a small small fish mostly thinking about an invert only tank. 

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 9:05am
That's a cool looking little tank.  I like the limited aquascape.  I've read that black sand can really make the colors in the corals pop under certain lights.  When/if I decide to get a bare bottom tank, the bottom will be black for that reason!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Holyzion Holyzion wrote:

Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

Thanks a ton man! i am excited about it, you always have to hate cycle time.

Yes, Definitaly! The amazon pico tank you gave me the link to is the one i am going to get most likely! Same one as yours - I promise i wont copy even though i am limited to what goes in itLOL so how are the lights on it? Are you going to use them and the filter?
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 3:33pm
The light like i mentioned in you're pico thread is only a 9w power compact. It does what it needs to do, i have looked at a ton of threads where people have stocked plenty of Zoo's with them. I will be keeping the light for the AC70, it fits perfect on the back and will be great for my Chaeto. 

As for the stock filter that comes with it, it's pretty bad, i would suggest an AC70 for any Pico type tank. They are easy to mod and are great with water flow. 

As far as an update to the tank i did get my 25W heater and within a night i was holding steady at 79º. 

I was clearing some clutter out of my RSM and noticed 1 Zoa on an old dendro skeleton so i threw it in my tank to see how it would do and after three days i can report the one zoa is doing great and is already trying to sprout a new head. 

Here is a picture of it.

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 3:46pm
Nice
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

That's a cool looking little tank.  I like the limited aquascape.  I've read that black sand can really make the colors in the corals pop under certain lights.  When/if I decide to get a bare bottom tank, the bottom will be black for that reason!

Thanks a ton, i thought it would make the corals pop also glad to see people agree.
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 3:20pm
Just ordered my Hydor Pico evo-mag pump, unfortunately ship time looks like i wont be getting it til after Christmas. Guess i will have to wait, as for the tank with the live rock that was in there it looks like the cycle was minimal, i might add a few more Zoo's but as for live stock i think its still to fresh to add anything.
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 4:52pm
this makes me want to do a pico lol. My wife already said no but she also said that she cant stop me from doing something like this for my office...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic