Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unhappy SPS (New Pics Added)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unhappy SPS (New Pics Added)
    Posted: December 02 2012 at 8:05pm
For the past month some of my SPSs stared to show signs of distress.  It's started with my green tenuis, green slimmer, and now my red planet.  White strings discharged from the corals. It's doing this twice or three times per day.  The corals faded more and more in the last two weeks, less polyps extension, and some area bleached white.  I tried waters change and calibrated my tests result at The Aquarium.  I upgraded my skimmer three months ago and added a carbon reactor three weeks ago.  Tank is 65g with 25g sump.  What can I do to help my corals turn around? 

My water parameters are as follow:
Ca 400
Alk 10
Mag 1300
Sa 1.024

Thank you,

Duy

Edited by thathiep - August 20 2013 at 6:48pm
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 8:50pm
Pics? What kind if lights and how old are the bulbs?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 9:31pm
What type of Carbon are you using?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 9:50pm
Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates? If not hit me up duy and bring over a sample and I can test them for you
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 9:53pm
also check your ph.. i was having some problems with my sps as well.. tested everything. all alk, mag, and cal were great. so i went to lfs and tested po4, trites and trates.. all 0.. it was my ph at a 7.1!! 
just my thoughts!
getting fishy??
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

What type of Carbon are you using?

+1. Do you rinse your carbon well before you add it to the reactor?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 11:26pm

To answer the questions.

I will get some pics up later.  Retrofit LET lighting with 6 ATI bulbs from reefgeek, bulbs is roughly 16 months old. 

I'm running lignite carbon from BRS with the reactor for three weeks now, prior I used unknown carbon bought from a member on the board.  I rinsed about three minutes with the lignite carbon.

Nitrates and phosphates both zero.  Good point, I will check the PH level.  

My tank is populated with fish a corals that's why I upgraded to a bigger skimmer and added a reactor.  I think a bigger skimmer and a reactor socked the corals with clearer and cleaner water.  What do you guys think?

Thanks guys,

Duy

Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 11:28pm
I would change your bulbs that's old for t5s
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 11:41pm
look for the things you changed just before you saw the issues... Its possible that running more skimming and different carbon at the same time changed the water chemistry in ways that you dont test and they hated it. maybe slow the carbon and skimming down a little if thats what you changed. You washed all the equipment before putting it in your system? if not, there may have been chemicals on the plastics or in the materials that also caused some problems...
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 11:46pm
Change your bulbs. When you do you need to acclimate your corals again to your new bulbs.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 3:07am

+1 to all ! My guess is lamps also as they have lost their spectrum . As Billy stated make sure to adjust your time for new lamps .

thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 2:55pm
 IMG_1114.jpg
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 2:56pm
 IMG_1115.jpg
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 2:56pm
 IMG_1116.jpg
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 3:09pm
Thank you for all the inputs.  I will order new bulbs in soon.  As you can see the white strings and bleached out from the green slimmer in the first pic.  Second pic is the Tenuis also showing signs of stress and bleached out.  Third pic is a full tank shot for reference.  I bought the blue tang from quarter size and now he's around 5'.  My tank is overloaded with corals and some fish starting to outgrow my tank.  

Thanks

Duy
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 8:25pm
Is it possible they are Killing each other?
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Is it possible they are Killing each other?

That's the concern I have when some corals grow over each other.  The reason I added a carbon reactor to help alleviate chemical warfare between them.     
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 2:56pm
Wow duy, gorgeous tank.... been a few years since I have been over to see it
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 3:06pm
Do you have any LPS that are extending tentacles out at night and stinging them? I just had a stag start to lose a ton of tissue because it was to close to a xenia. That may be another reason.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 3:11pm
I don't know what your dosing regimen is like, but at Tuesday's meeting our speak, Aviad, from Red Sea talked about how important trace elements are.  Of course he suggested use of the Red Sea Testing and dosing line of products since he designed them, but he also said any well know brand should have a good trace element additive.  He likes his plan because it is set up so that when you add X amount of Calcium you add X/10 amount of the trace element to keep everything properly balance.

Just a thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic