Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red bugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red bugs
    Posted: December 10 2012 at 6:22pm
We had a customer come in today and another member here a few days ago who had problems with red bugs on acros. to help direct them to the right information we wanted to start a thread to help anyone dealing with these pests.

Here is a link to a great article about red bugs, and killing them.

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

3-4 years ago I had to treat one of my systems. Works great, but does kill any inverts. If you are just going to use as a bath, I would just use coral rx. Rx will not kill the eggs, but neither will the interceptor. That's why you need multiple treatments.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 8:43pm
Here's a link to my article on them:
http://www.reefdup.com/2012/07/14/aquarium-pests-red-bugs/

Red bugs are live bearers; they do not have lay eggs. However, they are able to hide within a coral's polyp without being ingested, and this is speculated to give them some protection. So, multiple treatments are still recommended...but for a different reason. Also, they infect all Acroporas, including green slimers and the hairy ones...not just the smooth skinned ones (although they do seem to prefer those...especially A. valida.)

Also, there are now Interceptor-resistant red bugs out there (not to mention the expense and difficulty in legally obtaining it). So, to combat them, I prefer to use Bayer Advanced Insecticide (0.5 ml to 2 cups tank water for 15 minutes as a dip.)

And...my favorite treatment...especially during the winter...just lower the temperature!! This is a well documented treatment (not in the hobby...but within the scientific community.) Although my site recommends 65-66 degrees for a few hours, I've had results with only going down to 72 degrees for a few hours. Use caution, and keep an eye on it...but most corals/fish/inverts can handle the stress if done slowly...except the red bugs.

Edited by ReefdUp - December 10 2012 at 9:06pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 8:52pm
Lower the temp?  What a great idea!

February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Lower the temp?  What a great idea!

LOL, I found that out during a power outage and then went online to see if anyone else had the same experience. I found quite a few scientific studies on it, but only a couple people asking about it on a few forums...nothing specific.

I haven't been able to find anything 100% documented as for the length of time and minimum temperature (is it a certain temperature, or is it a temperature difference that kills them?) But, I'm working on a semi-scientific version.   
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 9:16pm
I read about this too. I thought about trying it and them saw those nasty red bugs doing what they do and didn't want to take my changes. After one dose of Interceptor I'm red bug free and plan on doing more treatments. I'm tempted to do a temp lowering also just be hit them at another angle.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 10:42pm
Great info. I would be very careful with the temp lowering though, as it causes a lot of stress on sps corals. Usually if you are treating for red bugs it is because you have thousands of $ in sps and are trying to fix a problem before it gets out of control. I would recommend the interceptor instead of risking the entire tank. I would rather kill some crabs and snails than sps.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 5:22am
Originally posted by ReefOn ReefOn wrote:

I would be very careful with the temp lowering though, as it causes a lot of stress on sps corals. Usually if you are treating for red bugs it is because you have thousands of $ in sps...

Thanks for reminding me to be careful with my three SPS-dominant tanks.

While Interceptor is a great choice, it's not an option for everyone. I constantly hear more cases of Interceptor-resistant red bugs, and some people (like me) have various shrimp that are difficult to remove for the treatment. Other people have pod-dependent fish, so they can't decimate their tank's population. Additionally, there are a ton of other "black bugs" and "gray bugs" coming into the hobby that affect chalices, pocillopora, Montipora, etc. Interceptor does not work on all of them, but the lowered temperature seems to affect many of them.

I've heard plenty of times as well that the pod deaths raised ammonia enough to cause some issues. Lowering a tank temperature to 72 degrees for a few hours shouldn't be enough to cause stress, at least no moreso than a slight ammonia spike. I've had SPS survive 32 hours sustained at 40 degrees (yes, lots of dieoff, but I still have them today.)

Again, Interceptor is still great for most reefkeepers, but there are alternative options for people in certain situations.   
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 4:23pm
Wouldn't touch the temp.....besides alk swings, temp changes are the only other known factor responsible for Rapid Tissue Necrosis....been there done that, in fact I'd rather have red bugs munching on my strawberry shortcake rather than dropping my temps
Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 8:30pm
Dragon pipefish?

Ex 210 gallon reef

red sea max 250
BioCube 29 HQI

Gallery http://imgur.com/a/yIRJk
Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 8:31pm
The aquarium can get some in for you, PM me if you want me to place a Sales Order for ya
Ex 210 gallon reef

red sea max 250
BioCube 29 HQI

Gallery http://imgur.com/a/yIRJk
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 9:14pm
While a dragon pipe does eat red bugs, it would not be a way to erradicate the entire population.

Another local store I frequent almost daily sells them for around $20, if that is the direction someone wants to go.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 9:49pm
Is this something that can be observed on close examination of a coral?  In other words, if I quarantine for a few weeks will I be able to see this problem and deal with it before putting the coral into my DT?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 5:23am
Yes. They are small (0.5mm), but their movement typically triggers the eye to focus in on them. Some of them almost nearly shimmer yellow with red, so that makes it easy to see on a smooth skin acro.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 9:42am
Molli, the way you qt your stuff, just use the coral rx when you get the corals, then watch them for a week and dip them again. I would then watch them one more week and dip it just before you add it to the display tank.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by ReefOn ReefOn wrote:

Molli, the way you qt your stuff, just use the coral rx when you get the corals, then watch them for a week and dip them again. I would then watch them one more week and dip it just before you add it to the display tank.
Hey, thanks, I'll do that.  Do I only have to worry about these bugs on SPS corals?  I'm getting closing to finally acquiring some SPS corals for my tank!
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 10:45am
Red bugs only hang out on sps corals from what I have seen an read. Mostly on acros but I had some that were on my montiporas as well.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 9:13pm
"Red Bugs" are a common name for Tegastes acroporanus - which this species has ONLY been documented on Acropora corals. There are also very similar "black bugs" and "gray bugs" which can affect a variety of corals, depending on species...from Pocillopora, Montipora, to your chalices.

Molli - if you're going to go the dip route and QT, then I really like the Bayer dip. Coral Rx is good, but Bayer is less expensive and doesn't bother deep water Acroporas as much as the Coral Rx.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 10:17pm
I ended up with Red Bugs after acquiring a black sun coral colony from an infected tank. My personal observation would be that Red Bugs do not only infect SPS.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 4:03pm
There are multiple species of "red bugs" as to be expected. It is not outside the realms of posibility in my opinion to have a species that strays from the acro standard. However the specific pest in question the "Tegastes acroporanus" has it's name for a reason, it's unlikely it would target other corals :P 

The one time I had red bugs on my small acro colony, I also treated by lowering the temperature to great success. The corals all made a full recovery. I've always been a fan of temperature treatments before chemical treatments however.

I love keeping my reefs invert rich. So the death of all these inverts in my opinion can cause more harm than lowering the temperature temporarily.

When push comes to shove it depends on the individual tank. How much do you value the inverts vs the corals? What risks are you willing to take?

In my case I'm with ReefdUp, but I can see the pros to chemical dips.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic