Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yellow tang sudden death?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yellow tang sudden death?
    Posted: December 16 2012 at 10:17am

Im fairly new to the whole saltwater I have had a 29G bio cube but i just upgraded to a 46g bow front with a 20g sump, to find out now that i didnt upgrade enough. I have right now in my 46 two platnium clowns (a pair) and one snowflake clown, with a dragon goby. I have a serpent star, snails and hermits as well, for coral i have a kenya tree some frogspawn and two anenomes, and some fuzzy mushrooms. I went to my LFS two days ago and was looking at yellow tangs (small) and he had two off them. They were kept alone by them selfs without any lights over them besides just your normal room lights and sunlight comeing threw the glass. He said that hes had them for about three weeks now and they looked healthy, they were eating i saw him feed them. The next day i decided to take some of my water up to him and have him test it.  Everything was good my alk was a little low but other than that everything was okay, i didnt see what the exact numbers were though. SO i bought the yellow tang took him home, maybe a 25min drive and acclimated him for about 40min and then put him in. He seemed fine and was swimming around, until i came down this morning and found my serpent star and hermit crabs had almost eaten his whole body already on the sand bed. I was wondering if anybody has any advice or info of why this happened. I dont know if i acclimated him wrong or if it was because he wasnt under any lighting until i put him in my tank, oh i have two t5s and one AI sol. Or if there could be something in my tank that could of killed him. Any info would be great thanks.

75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 10:53am
That happen to me I lost two until I got one that survive.
Did u put him with the lights on or off?
How did u acclimated him?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 11:07am
the lights were on when i put him in, and i poured in in a container and had a drip line that poured into the container until it was full, took about 35 min.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 12:48pm
Since he was in a tank with out lights and you put him with the lights on he got more stress. You should always put fish/invert/corals with lights off to reduce stress and keep them off for a few hours
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 4:23pm

Thats good to know. Is there any way to see that the fish is stressed out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 7:01pm
If they are berating too fast, by their colors, and are like aggressive mode, for example is that his fins are open.
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 8:30pm
thanks dan9554880 appreciate you to take the time to answer some of my questions. I will take more time and do some more research before i buy another fish. Thanks.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 9:38pm
While I prefer to introduce any new fish with the lights out, or dimmed down, I don't see this being the cause of your Yellow Tangs death. There is a good chance he may have been in poor condition when you bought him. I would bet your very territorial clowns finally took him down. Your clowns should be some of the last fish introduced. Long term, your 46G tank is not suitable for any tang and I strongly prefer buying fish with their long term success in mind. In order to add additional fish, you may have to temporarily house your clowns in another system and reintroduce them after your new livestock has been added and settle in.

Edited by DLindquist - December 16 2012 at 9:40pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 11:28pm
I agree with the post above but u can keep a yellow tang in a 46 if the fish is small but it won't be able to live there forever because of the tank size. U can also look into other types of fish such as drawf angel wich will be able to live in that thank size
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 8:33am
my clowns dont seem aggressive to any other fish they just chill in there anenome. Could they attack a yellow tang and would they. My clowns are maybe a inch and half. And they yellow tang was atleast 2inch.
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 12:24pm
I would not spend overly long on worrying about this- fish can survive with little wear and tear being dipped into very low salinity for a fairly long period of time so its doubtful your acclimation has much to be improved upon.  I typically feed when I add fish and try to re-arrange things to avoid too much territory issues.  Could be your fish ganged up on the tang, but without you having witnessed it who knows.  

I have a tank that has been running in one form or another for 2+ years that is very healthy and the simple fact is that about 25% of all the fish I have added from an LFS fail to thrive- although a death inside of 24 hours is perhaps suspect LFS fish are seriously stressed from the transit and often housed in conditions that are quite a bit less stable than your own tank (if your tank is doing well)... so I would worry a tiny bit, test things again to ensure you KNOW what your parameters are (FISH could care less about Ca/Mg/ etc so long as its salt water.  The are sensitive to nitrogen, so check your Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels twice.  Honestly, killing a fish in 24 hours with the rest of the tank being unchanged and the livestock healthy and unaffected... probably got a near dead fish and the change killed it.  

But, as its a newer tank, its worth checking and redoubling your efforts to ensure healthy environments for all... I always blame myself first- but sometimes its really not us.  

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 4:09pm
I believe what you said, but it doesn't make sense to me that an LFS would have tangs for 3 weeks without putting lights on them.  Does your LFS put stickers on the glass to show the arrival date of the fish or just tell you when the fish arrived?
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 4:46pm
ya all the fish are on this table(stand) and there are little boxes for the fish to be in and the water flows through the whole thing. And he said that he had the tangs for three weeks in there. There is no lights over them only natural sunlight and normal room lighting.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 4:57pm
There could be so many possibilities to explain what caused this that it would be near worthless to guess. There are many preventative measures you can take to help with the transition of new fish (primarily using a quarantine tank and acclamation box) but it only helps, it does not guarantee your fish wont die. Considering what it takes to get a fish from the ocean to your tank at home, it's a freakn' miracle that any make it at all. 

I'm in the process of restocking my fish tank after a disease wiped out a bunch of my fish. For the first time I set up a QT tank and now use an acclamation box. My first batch of fish (midas blenny, kliens, and a powder blue) faired great through the 2.5 week transition process and are now thriving in the display.

With this hobby fatalities are a constant threat and to better your odds there are steps you can take. That said, plain old bad luck just happens.

Edited by Sculpin - December 17 2012 at 5:03pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 2:40pm
Yellow tangs should also be the last fish you add to your tank. They are highly aggressive and territorial
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 2:59pm
Yep-  you can get into serious problems.  

I added a trigger as the last fish after the tang had been in there dominating things for a few months.  This, you can do because the trigger is able to hold his own (more than) and its all fine- BECAUSE THE TRIGGER is more agressive... but were I to have added a open water docile swimmer after the tang, they would have been relegated to the rock work at best or possibly killed. 

Don't add the yellow tang last, add the MOST aggressive fish last...   

And don't add anything that eats other things in your tank that you like to look at....  
-which can very very rapidly reduce your stocking options if you have a small tank...
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 7:27pm
Thanks everyone, I went back to my LFS and told him what happened  and they gave me another yellow tang(small) for almost nothing. I tried to do as much research as i could and i tried a couple things diffrently with putting this tang in my tank, he seems to be doing fine and he is swimming around and eating like a pig. I think the biggest things that made a diffrence was i kept the bag with the fish floating in my sump the whole time while i acclimated him. and then i kept my lights off the rest of the day and night, then slowly turning my lights back on the following day. Im sure alot of you are reading this thinking what the heck was he doing the time before, but like i said im a newbie. Thanks to everyone on this forum im sure i wont kill as many fish, and be able to keep more money in my pocket (wifes pocket) Thanks again
Ryan
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 3:29am
Yellow tangs turn white then they are stressed, the first time i cleaned my tank after I bought mine (my arm in the tank scrapping algae off the front glass) he turned completely white from being scared.

Now he is used to it and it doesn't bother him, he will even come up and check out my hand to see whats going on.

I can't see clowns being able to take down a tang, especially in a 46 gallon, he would have enough room to get away if they were bothering him.  I do agree you should leave the lights off until they feel comfortable - this also helps your other fish get used to him too.

As for testing your water parameters, i would strongly suggest buying your own test kits to do it yourself.  Its much more convenient than going to the lfs, especially if you plan on growing coral and will be dosing anything.  I am constantly slightly adjusting calcium and Alk and of course salinity, i have test kits for about 10 other things but only check them when I have a problem show up.  after checking ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate a million times and having them always read zero I stopped checking those.  Although I do check pH from time to time.

I would definitely recommend buying your own test kits.

As for the yellow tang, sometimes things just cant be explained, i would suggest you wait until you have bigger tank to buy a tang though.  And maybe take the acclimation a little slower next time, throw an extra heater in the bucket, and let it drip in for like 3 hours instead of just a half hour, that will probably help him out.

Edited by speyside712 - February 01 2013 at 3:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic