Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED build for 75g reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 5:24pm
@Lewy: I've already gone LED, and am wholly convinced it's the best option out there.  What remains for me is how to decide on the best ratio of colors.  I stuck with blue/white on my tank just to start somewhere, but when I setup the home tank I'll be a lot more picky.

@phys: Sounds good, thanks.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 6:31pm
I figure with a T5 fixture you don't just do blue and white, well I don't. I mix different spectums to achive a 'pop' of color in my corals so it stands to reason the same would apply with LEDs. But with LEDs it seems there are potentially more options.
I totally understand wanting to see a fixture with the different colors because LEDs aren't like T5's you replace every year and can play with different color options. It seems once you've chosen on the LEDs, you are stuck with them for many years.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 7:13pm
If you build your own system of LEDs, its not hard to add or take off LEDs. even some of the production models offer upgradable fixtures so you can do exactly what you're talking about. You also wont be adding mercury to the landfill and glass to the environment. LEDs are pretty much the greenest option of all light sources.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 9:54am
@phys

From what I've seen, most DIY LED setups have the LEDs bonded to some heat sink.  It's not impossible but not simplistic to replace a single one, unless you're thinking of a different mounting method I haven't considered?  Replacing a strip of LEDs is super easy, but expensive.

Agreed that LEDs are the greenest option.  When you get a solid manufacturer, and if you can refrain from being nitpicky about the configuration and constantly wanting to change it LOL, then you should have your LEDs in place for about 5 years before having to do anything to change them.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 12:35am
I always use a two-part epoxy which is good enough to hold it on forever but it easy to pry off with a screwdriver. Just dont use too much!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 12:38am
After getting a power meter, its shown that im only using 160 watts of TOTAL power and the fixture is brighter than the previous 260 watts of PC and t8s that were on before which was only bulb wattage. that didnt include power that was lost through inefficient ballasts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 1:57pm
Awesome. :-)
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 5:06pm
So wait you use epoxy instead of the heat sink plaster?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 5:18pm
Use a drilled and tapped heatsink from rapid led then all you have to do is UN screw the dead one and replace it . They are pretty cheap and you can get them with splash guards and fans .
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 5:29pm
I use epoxy on the outer edges of the star and heat transfer epoxy in the center.
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by ClownFishAddict ClownFishAddict wrote:

You could just do this at a cheaper price than building them.

http://www.cfsco.net/aqledli12bld.html

Dimmable too.....

Has anyone tried this one out?  the website sure isn't specific about anything, like size or watts per bulb.  And being that cheap sure doesn't inspire confidence... lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 7:14pm
I'd like to know more about that LED setup before I'd buy.  Not saying I wouldn't, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I spent money.  It just may be worth it, but unless the manufacturer tells you what they put in there, you never know.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 7:48pm
It uses bridgelux leds... which are not as powerful or efficient as the cree leds on the market. They are also cheaper. If you used those to build a DIY yourself, you'd spend less than that fixture costs. It also looks exactly like the cheap led fixture that's been thrown around for months made in china and sold on ebay.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic