Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seahorse Switched

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seahorse Switched
    Posted: January 02 2013 at 10:29am
I have noticed people on this forum getting seahorses and i have finally seen one in a LFS and now that got me wanting one, haha great. For those who seen my new tank under "tanners Christmas tank" i am using that new setup, but changed. I have took off the filter and added a new one, it is practically a HOB refugium. It has three sections, and a sponge cover over the intake, then goes through 3 different compartments - Active carbon, and zoelite rock then goes to a filter sponge the to the largest compartment - like rock, deep sand, and algae, then back into the tank. There is also a heater in the 1st compartment.

The seahorses i plan on getting are dwarf seahorses, but before i get them, i am going to buy rotiferes for the refugium and tank. I do know that they need live foods so i am getting rotifers, and buying a  8 oz container of artemia eggs at 90% and will hatch them daily and feed them to the horses while they are babys still so they have a high nutritional value. I already have the hatchery set up for them. I have done a TON of research on the seahorses and brine shrimp hatchery trying to see the best way i could go about. When i get the horses i am getting them from seahorseworld.com and ordering 2 males and 2  females.

Note- I also took out the torch and frog spawns out of the tank to eliminate the horses getting stung or burned. the tank is 4 gallon rimless. I have put in a couple fake plants that are tall for the horses to grab on to. The tank also has low flow and the only corals i have in there are zoas and a couple palys, and fungias.

Does everything sound okay so far? Do you think this set up would work?
I really need to get pictures up soon, and i will soon as i get home. Thanks, let me know how this setup sounds and what you would do differently.
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 5:01pm
Ok, heres some pics:
Heres kinda a front tank shot:
Top Of the tank/ HOB refugium:
Side Shot:
Theres fake plants in here that they grab to. (everything has been washed really really good)

Does Everything Look fine? For all you experts on seahorses, am i missing anything? Or anyone else that has them (expert or non expert) al opinions and ideas are open! Thanks
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 6:00pm
I am still going to wait for about a month before i get the actuall seahorses so i can populate my tank and refugium with rotifers and copeods and stuff adn to make sure i have everything i need before hand.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 7:48pm

Everything looks good.

I would grow macro algae in the main display for the horses to hitch to. You may have to play with the flow of the HOB. You don't want them tossed around in the current or the HOB eating all the baby brine. I'd skip the rotifers, I don't think they will eat rotifers?. I raised them with newly hatched brine shrimp. Hydroids and brine shrimp egg shells can be problems.
Have fun! They are super cool to have.    
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic