Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm John but lots of people call me daddy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm John but lots of people call me daddy
    Posted: January 03 2013 at 9:56am
Just wanted to say hello. I've been creepin here off and on for a while and have intended to check in but haven't gotten around to it. As I'm planning to drop by the Frag event tonight I figured it was over due.

A bit about me...while we had various tanks off and on while I grew up, it's only been the last several months that I've started my own marine tank(s). 
It started out with a 40g "free" tank from a friend that I turned into a overstocked FOWLR. Used a HOB CPR skimmer and two HOB Fluval filters. I wasn't the only one hooked. The kids loved it and the wife not only became our official critter namer but she is very helpful and supportive. I'm a tech guy by trade and so I naturally found the internet of infinite use thanks to so many good folks like those here and on other forums. I've also discovered that we have what seems to be more than our fair share of good LFS. I visited pretty much all of them and while I didn't have an A+ experience at all of them, it was generally pleasant and we have ready access to some awesome stuff! All in all I knew I needed more...

So more we have. I started a Biocube 29 for my oldest daughter's Christmas gift. She is my biggest helper (next to my Apex:) and has successfully kept FW fish up to when dad killed them while she was at soccer camp. :/ At about the same time I started curing about 100lbs of LR in the garage via Brute garbage can's. The BC29 was at the office hiding and was ment to be temporary but...it was just too nice to have so I moved most of the BC29 into a RSM130D for the office and as planned, the girl received the BC29 for Christmas. While we started the BC more from scratch then I first planned, we did have lots of LR already growing coraline and we set it up with water from the existing tanks plus pre-mix from the guys at The Aquarium/AMC. 

Current home tank status...on Christmas(ish) we moved the contents of the "free tank" in to a shiny new Marineland 150g DD. The story of this is worthy of a build thread that I wanted to start but simply haven't yet. In the last couple weeks I've learned a few things I hadn't expected. Not the least of these is that A) I'm wicked slow at plumbing PVC. B) 150g of water makes an epic mess and when evacuated with sudden unplanned methods...makes more noise then imagined. Especially at 1AM! ( I know I know...perhaps more later) The short of it is that Brad and his guys at The Aquarium, along with contacts at Marineland, went above and beyond the call of duty in giving me a reason to not break down and cry like a baby. (again?) I'm a big supporter of the Buy Local ideal and this experience has only re-inforced this for me. The mess was was quickly made a successful move despite the holiday season and all of the old/existing rock from the 40 is moved to the sump of the 150. The rock we've been growing in the garage is represented in the DT as the new aquascape.

For a while any new frags will live in the RSM130 at work but will soon be at home in the 150 after the new system remains stable and I can trickle what I want into it.

Anyhow, I've got plenty to learn and you've helped me already via this site so thank you and I look forward to meeting some of you at future events.

edit:added links to build threads

Edited by JohnnyHeavens - January 15 2013 at 7:58am
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:02am
Welcome - That 150 sounds like quite the story! 

I also agree that plumbing (for us) was extremely slow and we learned a lot of valuable lessons when we miss measured/glued and realized how permanent that stuff is in 10 seconds. 

Edited by jdinchak - January 03 2013 at 10:04am
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

Welcome - That 150 sounds like quite the story! 

I also agree that plumbing (for us) was extremely slow and we learned a lot of valuable lessons when we miss measured/glued and realized how permanent that stuff is in 10 seconds. 

Thank you for the welcome. Right now the 150 feels more like an adventure but one day it should make a good story :)

Edited by JohnnyHeavens - January 03 2013 at 10:12am
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:29am
Welcome, man. Great to see that your family is involved in the hobby with you.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 5:16pm
Welcome John!

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 6:04pm
Welcome, and wow, thats awsome and kinda crazy!:)
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 8:09am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

Welcome, man. Great to see that your family is involved in the hobby with you.
thank you. so far so good with the participation :)

Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Welcome John!
thank you!

Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

Welcome, and wow, thats awsome and kinda crazy!:)
thank you. kinda crazy? if i had a dollar...
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 9:40am
no, well just like staying up late with all the plumbing stuff. I have been there to. It makes it worse if you really are slow with plumbing and if some one( like me) suck at it already:P
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

no, well just like staying up late with all the plumbing stuff. I have been there to. It makes it worse if you really are slow with plumbing and if some one( like me) suck at it already:P
I feel I suffer from all the possible defects but the pipes are holding water so I got that going for me. Which is nice.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 6:22pm
Hey! It was great meeting you today.

Ahhh, great minds think alike...we have the same Marineland 150g DD.

Links to my build:
Stand Build
Canopy Build

Edited by ReefdUp - January 05 2013 at 9:32am
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 7:13pm
Hi John, i just wanted to welcome you to the hobby, hopefully you will be as cool as this guy named Tanner...

Edited by Morlaz - January 04 2013 at 7:16pm
Ex 210 gallon reef

red sea max 250
BioCube 29 HQI

Gallery http://imgur.com/a/yIRJk
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 7:27pm
Welcome!
220 G SPS Display.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Teknik777 Teknik777 wrote:

Welcome!

Thank you!

Originally posted by Morlaz Morlaz wrote:

Hi John, i just wanted to welcome you to the hobby, hopefully you will be as cool as this guy named Tanner...
Tanner? Hmm, I can't think of any cool Tanner's but that dosen't mean I won't meet one at some pooint ;) Thanks for the welcome!

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Hey! It was great meeting you today.

Ahhh, great minds think alike...we have the same Marineland 150g DD. 

Links to my build:
http://www.reefdup.com/2012/01/22/150g-build-the-stand/
http://www.reefdup.com/2012/01/22/150g-build-the-canopy/
Thank you, it was great meeting you last night and it will be nice to have some faces for forum names! Handshake

It is nice to be in such good company. The links above didn't work for me but I did find your thread with a search. The canopy and stand look like some nice work and your corals seem to agree with the results of it all. One day I hope to be as lucky. I'll get a thread started so I can document my folly.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 9:07am
Welcome John, 
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 9:37am
Sheesh, I apparently can't even hyperlink correctly! I fixed the links, and these will take you to my personal website with more info on the build.

Links to my build:
Stand Build
Canopy Build
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Aquarium Creations Aquarium Creations wrote:

Welcome John, 
Well thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 11:42pm

Sheesh, I apparently can't even hyperlink correctly! I fixed the links, and these will take you to my personal website with more info on the build.

Links to my build:
Stand Build
Canopy Build

no sweat, the interwebs can be tough on any of us sometimes. ;) your guys' stand and canopy look great! lots of work i'm sure but nicely done!

in looking at your tank, i've got the 36"x36"x28" (cube-ish) version of marinelands 150g DD. it fit the area we had and allowed for a decent size display.
edit:

Edited by JohnnyHeavens - January 07 2013 at 12:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic