Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEED HELP TONIGHT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP TONIGHT
    Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:07pm
I have an engineer Goby that I am 99.9% sure has Ick. I do not have the capabilities to treat him and I need help tonight so that I can save him. I've already got him bagged so he doesn't infest my tank. I hope it's not too late for my other fish...

Either way, who in the Ogden area can help me tonight? Please please please let me know. Willing to drive a bit if you're confident we can help him.

EDIT: Well I've done some reading, and it seems that leaving him in the tank and simply trying to keep him alive and recover slowly may be the better plan. However, I'm scared of the parasite spreading into the entire tank. The Goby has only been in the tank for 24 hours. Is it too late to worry about the tank being affected? 

Could someone come over to my house and give an opinion based upon the fish's behavior and appearance? 

Edited by Inthenameofweez - January 11 2013 at 10:42pm
-Clayton
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:27pm
it may be too late already, your tank may be infected. Be sure to feel your fish well so they can deal with it better... Low stress is best.. You could remove that one fish and hope the others dont get it but you may not see it on them for a number of weeks.
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:30pm
The only real way I have ever rid ich from a system was removing all the fish for 2 months in QT treating them and feeding them well. after that time the ich in the main display is dead and gone and if after that time you can 100% say they dont have it anymore. you can add them back in.

Edited by ClownFishAddict - January 11 2013 at 9:31pm
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:33pm
hmm i had a blue hippo that got ich twice. i never removed it and my other fish never got ich. i simply started feeding more frequently with garlic and it went away within 3 days or so both times.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:37pm
you got lucky then. here is a good read on ich http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/ss/sbsichlifecycle.htm and its life-cycle. once it is in your water the only cure for ich is the fish's immune system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:47pm
I'm still hoping that someone can show up to look at him in person and confirm. I'm scared that it may not be Ick and I'm looking at something else. 

Maybe I'll try to post a picture. I seriously doubt that it will show up though. His behavior is the most concerning portion.

-Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:53pm
What is he doing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 9:59pm
Laying on his back hardly moving and breathing EXTREMELY heavily.

While he was in the tank, he was having a very hard time combating the current. When he finally gave up and got to the sand/rocks, he was very lethargic and seemed to just sit in the sand. Again, hardly moving.

I do not see the "white grains or sand/salt" that Ick is said to look like. I do however see some slight discoloration of the skin as compared to my healthy Engineer Goby. The biggest physical ailment I see is VERY enlarged and red gills.
-Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:03pm
What are your basic parameters like salinity, temp etc...? and turn off your lights and don't bother him. sounds like he is stressed out. Stress is the number one killer of SW Fish.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:07pm
Salinity is 1.024 and temp is 77-78 all day. Never swings. Other parameters are nearly perfect. Aquatic dreams showed my pH at 8.3 and my nitrites are zero. Very low nitrates. I put him in ~24 hours ago and he's been acting this way since he was in the bag on his way home. The lights are off after 8pm. I will return him to the tank I guess. Leave the lights off all day tomorrow?

Edited by Inthenameofweez - January 11 2013 at 10:09pm
-Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:09pm
How did you acclimate him to your tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:14pm
15 minute float. 5 minute increments between each 1/2 cup of water added to the 3 cups that he was delivered in. Did that ~6 times and poured out about half the water. Did the same thing again. Dropped him in. I have done the same thing with all of my fish and this is the only one behaving this way.
-Clayton
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:15pm
Two choices:  #1 Leave it alone, lights off, proper food, etc.  Low Stress.
                       #2 Take it out and place it in quarantine.
If it has ICH the entire tank is most likely infected.  You have already received advice on what to do about that.

I have a 55 gal quarantine/hospital tank with Cupramine (copper treatment) running in it right now if you want to bring him down to Kaysville.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:16pm
It might have been a little much for him. I would just return him and leave the lights off. maybe throw in some mysis for him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:27pm
Honestly I would watch him for a couple days. you have already introduced him to your tank so if it is ich he will start showing spots then you confirm it. if it is ich your tank has it already. If it is not ich then it is stress and he will either get better or die off.  Just my honest opinion....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:29pm
DMower, thank you very much for the offer. I have placed him back into the tank for tonight. If there is no sign of improvement in the next 2 days, I would love to bring him over. I do not have a quarantine tank, and that was my main reason for making this thread. 

I do appreciate the offer. Would you mind sending me a text with your address in case I do decide to come down tomorrow or Sunday?
-Clayton
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 10:35pm
That is what I would do too at this point.  PM sent if you need my help later.  Best of Luck to you.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 11:36pm
I had fought ich before an as other have said I would put him back in the tank and start to treat him. Start with a better nutrion such as adding garlic. Also a uv sterilizer will help. And you could try ick attack (reef safe)
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 12:55am
I knew I should have kept him out. Before going to bed, I glanced around the tank and noticed my crabs having an enormous party under one of my rock formations. 

They were feasting on the Goby... 
I wonder if that's a good thing though. Perhaps they ate most of the pests along with him? Who knows.

Either way, I really wanted to have 2 Engineers in the tank. I'll have to get another and see if I have any better luck. Perhaps a future QT is in order just in case I see some symptoms...
-Clayton
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 2:14am
If you didn't see the white spots on it, and it started to die, then it may not have been ich. If you just barely got it, it may have been stress of transportation and switching tanks so often that was just too much for it. It does happen that fish die shortly after you buy them even though you do everything right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic