Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Cache Valley!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Cache Valley!
    Posted: January 21 2013 at 7:45am
Hello Everyone - Since I have been in and out of things related to the club some of you may remember me but probably not many. So it is in order for me to introduce myself and family to the club.

My wife (Billie) and I live in the middle of Logan. All five of our children are grown and living on their own. I work for Weber State University, however my office is on the Utah State University campus. I stay quite busy with the job and coming home to watch the critters in the tank is quite relaxing.

Since the 70's I have kept an aquarium going in one form or another. I raised and sold many egg laying and live bearing freshwater fish in the early years. I have always been fascinated by salt water fish so I started experimenting around with what I could do and that was the start of my marine aquarium experience. In those days we had bleached-out stony coral pieces to decorate the aquarium and oyster-shell as the substrate for the bottom of the tank. They also told us we would never be able to keep live coral in an aquarium. Ha, now we have to trim our coral gardens so they don't over grow our tanks!

Right now I have a 40 gal. or so tank going that my son set up. We have not had a tank going for a couple of years but how could I stay away when he asked me to help him with the tank! Our tank is in the basement and I have it plumbed through the wall to where the sump tank and skimmer are sitting (another 35 gallons). All of the electrical is plumbed through the wall as well. This has really cleaned up the clutter around and behind the tank. My goal is to set-up my 75 gal. tank as our display tank and turn the 40 gal. tank as my macro-algae and frag grow out tank.

My main interest is in LSP and soft corals. I love the variety of invertebrates as they add so much diversity to our reef tanks. Of course the crowning jewel are the fish. I have a couple of fish that when I took down my old tank, I gave to a neighbor. Hearing that I had a tank going again, she gave them back to me. These crazy fish are now about 7 years old. We call them Abbott and Costello - they like to chase each other around! I am using an app for my i-phone/pad to help me monitor and record what I do with the reef tank. The app is called aquaplanner pro and it is quite useful. Anyway, a fun hobby that lets me peek into the endless variety of inhabitants found in our oceans.

Hope this gives you a look-see at the Reese's and I hope to meet many of you soon. Take care!

Jody
75 gal Reef Tank

45 gal Sump

JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 10:47am
Well hello back. I can't wait to see some pictures of the tank.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 10:52am
Welcome!
220 G SPS Display.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 11:37am
Welcome Back! Glade to see you back here! Club has changed alot in the last 8 years! All for the good! 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 4:29pm
Welcome!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic