Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First aquarium. Diving in head first.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First aquarium. Diving in head first.
    Posted: January 21 2013 at 7:38pm
I got everything up and running in October. It was fully cycled before Thanksgiving. I cannot wait to get more livestock and watch everything grow. My goal is to have everything from a youngin and grow it into a mature reef. I am very excited for the reef tour so that I can share my progress and excitement with everyone. 

I purchased this 90 gallon tank from Laird and I definitely have large shoes to fill. It will have my own twist on it though. I am not so much into the SPS, but I'm sure I will eventually get there. I took my time putting it all together, so I haven't spent too much money. I can see how this hobby will be addictive though.

I'm located in South Ogden and work at Young Subaru. Anytime you are in the area and wanna chat or see my tank, just give me a call. I'm also willing to give discounted pricing on any vehicle that you may need.

On to the good stuff!!!

Here is a general view shot of my display: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0GCWZ_n5LE

Also, some closer shots:

As you can tell I also have a 10 gallon All-In-One setup that I will have a giant RBTA and a pair or Maroon Clownfish as soon as it I get it cycled.

On top of that, I have a list of fish that I really want to get into my 90 gallon in the next few months. I hope that my tank stays healthy enough and I am a good enough reefer to keep a proper environment for these guys. I currently have some HLLE going on with my Sailfin, but he had that before I bought him. Half price at Petco will sometimes come with a sickness. He is doing MUCH better these days though. Not even a week yet, and the white is already starting to fade. Flesh is returning to normal!!!
Coral Beauty Angel
Long Nose Hawk
Chevron Tang
Flame Angel
Copperband Butterfly
Watchman Goby with paired shrimp
School of Bangaii (4-5)
Yellowheaded Jawfish

I would also love to eventually have a couple dragonets. A Mandarin and Scooter Blenny especially.

All of that being said, please leave your feedback and words of encouragement. I know that sometimes I sure could use them!!! This hobby is expensive, but so much fun!

Edited by Inthenameofweez - January 21 2013 at 7:42pm
-Clayton
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 9:57pm
nice sump!Wink
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 12:26am
lookin good so far!
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 5:13pm
I'm looking at the options I currently have in my 6 bulb fixture. It has 2 night and 4 day sockets.

I will be replacing my bulbs as soon as I can afford them. In the mean time, how should I set these up? In terms of day and night bulbs. I currently have them coming on at 8am and off at 9pm.

I'll eventually have LEDs for night time, but for right now, what's the best combo?

Current bulbs:
Acintic+
Pure Acintic
Aquapink
Coral Plus
Aquablue+
Acintic
-Clayton
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 2:46am
with my 6 lamp 54w t-5 I used 2 actintics , 2 blue plus , and 2 coral plus from ATI. Before that I had 2 act, 1 purple plus , 2 blue plus and 1 5600k white. after going to coral plus and getting rid of the white and purple lamps I  couldnt tell the difference looking at the color of the tank but my growth was better in my opinion.
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 4:06am
Lighting is so personal but Akira's options are pretty good.
180Gal Reef with 576 Watts of LED's
16Gal Innovative Marine Nano LED lit
150 Gal Frag tank with MH
PADI Dive certified sure love that ocean..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 11:35am
I added some more rock!!! Trying to form an actual cave.
Before:

After:

I also added 3 Firefish and did my first water change!! The slight algae issue I had is almost immediately gone. Added 15 Nassarius snails and a conch also. Things are looking good, but I'm already getting the itch for a 220 or larger tank. I need to buy a house so I can get to planning. LOL.
-Clayton
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 6:15pm
The 220 is cool but I bought a 180 due to the fact that its on 24" deep vs 30".  If I got the 30" I would almost be swimming in the tank to reach the bottom.
180Gal Reef with 576 Watts of LED's
16Gal Innovative Marine Nano LED lit
150 Gal Frag tank with MH
PADI Dive certified sure love that ocean..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:05am
/\ Good point. I'll have to consider all options once I get into a house that I can build an in-wall setup.

I added a BEAUTIFUL anemone. With my tank being barely 2 months old, I was apprehensive, but I think I can handle the task. I do have a friend that may help if I need it. We'll see how it does. 

-Clayton
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:14pm
Hey I actually looked through this today. I love fire fish. I had one in my office tank for a long time. Your first set up is light years ahead of my first one. 3 years into the hobby and I feel like I'm just getting started.
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 2:14pm

I just hope I'm not moving too fast. :-/

A paired set of Gold striped Maroon clownfish!!

Edited by Inthenameofweez - February 04 2013 at 3:27pm
-Clayton
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 3:12pm
Those look great!
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 3:32am

Full shot from this morning. Reworked the rock a bit. I think I'm finally getting closer to happy.

Edited by Inthenameofweez - February 09 2013 at 3:05pm
-Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 3:06pm
I added 3 cleaner shrimp and a monti cap this evening.

This is such a beautiful hobby...
-Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 12:19pm
Had to tear apart the rocks trying to catch my blue hippo.

All new bulbs finally! 2 Actintic, 2 Blue Plus, 1 Coral Plus, 1 Aquablue Special.

-Clayton
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 2:11pm
Lookin good.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 3:26pm
Its looking great. I actually removed rock and rescaped my first tank about 5 times until I was happy with how it looked. But I finally decided I loved the 2 Island look. On reef2reef there is a thread for minimal scaping and it gave me tons of ideas and its a long thread about 80 pages. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 1:01am
Thank you very much for the recommendation on rock-scaping. I'll definitely check out that thread. I just wish I would have decided on rock formations prior to gluing coral. LOL.

Well I learned a valuable lesson today: 6 brand new T5 bulbs within 2 inches of the water surface will cause things to heat up quickly. They will be moved 6"-8" higher after work tomorrow. I hit 84 degrees today and I'm not certain that it wasn't warmer. My glsss thermometer showed nearly 90. It was only hot for maybe 5 hours. No dead fish as of tonight. GSP looks like **** though. Slightly bleached. Because of all that, I finally learned how to set up my lights. I also bought a box fan. Imagine, my coralife power center is FINALLY being set the proper way. Now I will have Actintic only lighting for 12 hours and the other 4 bulbs will be on 10am-6pm. I may run the fan with those lights if temps stay high. Sump light is inverse of Actintic lights. I hope it helps the temps. My alcohol glass thermometer is still registering 82. I hope it's simply old and out of whack. I'm scared it's not though, because the heater I'm using also turns on/off at 82 while the brand new stick on tape temp gauge shows 77. I think my tank has been over 80 for nearly 4 months now. Lol. Not cool.

If this is all in fact true, I'll never trust my tape thermometer again. Which makes sense, as all winter it registered colder than my other references. Well duh. The family room had been cold.

Anyway, I'll update after a day or two. I need a reef controller....

Edited by Inthenameofweez - March 15 2013 at 1:07am
-Clayton
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 10:23pm
Just an FYI anytime you replace lamps cut your lighting down a few hours a day so everything can adjust to the par out put . Not for sure but think my 6x54w was like 6-7" off the water. Also I just bought a new fan and I love it , I got if from amazon . Just type in aquarium fan. It has 4 fans and is only 14" long X like 4" and has a bracket that will attach to glass etc up to 1/2" thick.  And what I do as I seem to move coral a lot , I glue them on small pieces of rubble rock then attach the rock so it is easily moved when needed .  Can't wait to see your next update !!!!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 8:22am
Looking really good. Your patience will definatly be rewarded in the long run. Reviewing your fish list, I would highly advise against a Chevron Tang. Unfortunatly, a 90G is no where near large enough for this particular fish. And buying with the intention of upgrading your tank or even selling the fish soon afterwards in not a responsible decision. Wait until you make that leap to the 210 or larger before purchasing such a fish. Good luck and keep the updates coming!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic