Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Attaching GSP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attaching GSP?
    Posted: January 22 2013 at 10:45am
I have some GSP that I've got in my tank, it's not attached to anything, and it keeps moving even though I've tried to pin it with a small bit of rock.  I've heard of using super glue, but...  Seriously?  So you really just dab a bit of super glue gel and touch it to the rock?  That's it?  Feels weird. 

How do you attach GSP to your live rock?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 10:52am
Yes super glue for everything in my tank. I use the super glue gel from dollar tree. Take it out of your tank super glue the bottom of the rock or frag plug and hold in on the rock in your tank where you want it to stay for 30-60 seconds firmly. Done.
220 G SPS Display.

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 10:55am
Just dont put the glue on the wrong side of the gsp.
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 12:01pm
And make sure the glue is a gel lol liquid super glue just makes a hitrible mess
11 year old tomato clown named cherry

2 gal, 30 gal, 32 gal, 65 gal and 210 gal
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 12:27pm
Yup...super glue gel. It was originally developed for military use on sealing wounds, and it works just great on coral tissue too!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 2:18pm
you can also use a rubber band for a few days or thick fishing line just be sure to remove after a few days, but once you do get gsp to attach if your paramaters are good it with quickly spread over entire rock, the stuff will even grow on sand, glass, pretty much anything you let it touch so if you dont want it all over be sure to isolate it to a rock not touching other rocks, that or periodically peel it off / scrub the areas you dont want with a toothbrush with the rock removed from the tank.

Edited by Bryce - January 22 2013 at 2:19pm
65g Reef
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 12:02pm
Yep I second that, superglue gell all the way for any coral that has a hard skeleton.  As for soft corals (some zoas sometimes) its a little trickier.  The superglue usually holds at first but then they shed their mucos membrane and come free a couple days later.  If you can get them in an area with not much flow and set them in a plastic cup on some gravel or a small rock, or strap them down with a rubber band. then once they attach on their own you can put them where you want them.

Zoas i usually superglue, making sure to only get the glue on the bottom so that they can still open fully, and them leave them in an area with very little flow so that they reattached as they slowly shed the glue.  Otherwise they seem to end up missing after a few days!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 12:04pm
when glueing frag plugs, just stick the whole tube of glue right into the tank, squeeze it onto the rock with one hand and then press the plug onto the glue with the other.  It dries underwater almost instantly so you have to be quick.  It dries contained to that one spot and doesnt spread anywhere so its safe for the fish and everything else in there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 12:46pm
There's no plug for the GSP; the guy I got it from just kinda ripped it off his sandbed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 3:14pm
ya just put the glue right on the bottom of the purple skeleton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 5:07pm
I still can't get over how weird that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic