Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who Is Dosing What and Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Is Dosing What and Why?
    Posted: January 26 2013 at 10:58pm
Someone asked about dosing below and it seemed well answered. I have been dosing as needed with two part and handling most of the alk / calcium needs with Kalkwasser.  Iodide, strontium, iron, etc. were briefly discussed in the previous post.  I talked to a reefer with a beautiful tank and she has a dosing list about two pages long.  I'd like to see if people would list what they dose, the type of coral they are keeping and why the dose what they use. Carbon dosing (vodka or vinegar) are fair game for this discussion too.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 8:49am
I dose the following regularly:

Alkalinity
Magnesium
Calcium
Amino Acids
Prodibio Bio Clean (since I started with all dry rock)

If I notice my colors are off, then I test individually & dose:

Iron
Potassium
Iodine

If I'm exceptionally bored, then I'll test & dose strontium. And, if I feel like living on the wild side, I won't test, but I'll dose trace elements.

Now...were you talking about me who has the dosing list two pages long?

Edited by ReefdUp - January 27 2013 at 8:50am
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 9:08am
What does prodbio do?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 9:53am
Prodibio is a brand, and BioClean is bacteria and food for the bacteria. Since I started with all dry rock, I have to dose bacteria for about the first year otherwise cyano takes over. I don't recommend it for most people, but it works well for my situation.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 10:31am
We use and sell Bio clean 
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 11:21am
I dose these regularly:

Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium (self explanatory)
and Vinegar: I recently switched to vinegar from vodka usin the ten-step program ;). Why? Like Nikki's and Eric's prodibio, it feeds bacteria that consume excess nutrients in the water. The bacteria are then skimmed out into my massive skimmer and the water is left sparkly clean. :-D

Twice a week, I dose 2 drops of lugols solution (iodine.) to be honest, I do it because someone I know who has AMAZING corals said it was a good thing. I don't know if it makes a difference but my corals are colorful admins happy so Ill just keep doing it.

Occasionally, I dose Fuel or Amino acids. I dose them for a week or two after changing my GFO so that my corals don't starve from the sudden nutrient strip.

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 11:27am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

Vinegar: I recently switched to vinegar from vodka usin the ten-step program ;). Why? Like Nikki's and Eric's prodibio, it feeds bacteria that consume excess nutrients in the water. The bacteria are then skimmed out into my massive skimmer and the water is left sparkly clean. :-D

Billy, what is the ten step program and how much are you doing for your tank size? 

Occasionally, I dose Fuel or Amino acids. I dose them for a week or two after changing my GFO so that my corals don't starve from the sudden nutrient strip.

That's interesting about Fuel and Amino Acids following a GFO change.  Thanks for sharing.

Fat
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Now...were you talking about me who has the dosing list two pages long?

No, it wasn't you.  But after seeing your dose list it should have been!

Fat
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Vinegar: I recently switched to vinegar from vodka usin the ten-step program ;). Why? Like Nikki's and Eric's prodibio, it feeds bacteria that consume excess nutrients in the water. The bacteria are then skimmed out into my massive skimmer and the water is left sparkly clean. :-D

Billy, what is the ten step program and how much are you doing for your tank size? 

Fat

Kevin, sorry the "ten-step program" was a joke, (with vodka being alcohol and me giving up vodka dosing, and the "alcoholics anonymous" ten-step program.) Sometimes jokes are funnier in my head than on paper haha.

Anyways, I am currently dosing 10mls of vinegar daily and ramping up the dose weekly as I monitor nutrient levels VERY closely.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 1:11am
My list alk, cal, and mag for the main stuff.
AAs because my skimmer is huge, Silica daily also.
Iron once a week.

Edited by Dionysus - January 30 2013 at 1:12am
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 5:35am
Thanks!
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 9:43am
I got my Vertex Libra Doser and 3 Libra Vessel delivered. It's very nice looking and i'll be planning to does ESV Cal, ALK and Mag.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 10:29am
Originally posted by DanhNgo DanhNgo wrote:

I got my Vertex Libra Doser and 3 Libra Vessel delivered. It's very nice looking and i'll be planning to does ESV Cal, ALK and Mag.

We use ESV salt and love it, great mix of Cal, ALK and Mag.  Nice doser, very cool.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 6:54am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Prodibio is a brand, and BioClean is bacteria and food for the bacteria. Since I started with all dry rock, I have to dose bacteria for about the first year otherwise cyano takes over. I don't recommend it for most people, but it works well for my situation.

Ya know I started with dry rock too and haven't had this issue.  I did however put one small piece of live rock in with all my other dead rock, in order to help seed it a little.  I also started with live sand (in those bags that come with both water and sand).  I never have any cyano at all in the tank, not even during the cycle, its really strange.

My sand is black and I think it reflects the light quite a bit, so maybe this is why the cyano hasn't ever been able to take hold?

I also keep the tank at 76 degrees, i used to keep my old one at 80 and had cyano all the time.  I think the cooler temperature inhibits its growth a little bit.

Edited by speyside712 - February 03 2013 at 6:55am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 7:01am
Oh and don't worry billy, I was laughing at your joke!

I dose these on a regular basis:
Alkalinity
Calcium

and less often I dose:
Essential elements
Strontium/molybdenum
Iodide

I do all my dosing with my water being made for water changes.

I don't dose anything in my top-off water

Edited by speyside712 - February 03 2013 at 7:02am
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 8:52pm
Weird thing is I dose most of the above . But I get mine in doses too. Girlfriend , kids , work and bills! Wish I could put those on my metering pump!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 12:41am
Originally posted by speyside712 speyside712 wrote:

Ya know I started with dry rock too and haven't had this issue.  I did however put one small piece of live rock in with all my other dead rock, in order to help seed it a little.  I also started with live sand (in those bags that come with both water and sand).  I never have any cyano at all in the tank, not even during the cycle, its really strange.
I also keep the tank at 76 degrees, i used to keep my old one at 80 and had cyano all the time.  I think the cooler temperature inhibits its growth a little bit.

I started with all dry rock, dry sand, and new saltwater. That's why I have to dose bacteria. The small amount that comes with each coral addition & fish isn't enough to kickstart a tank. I also run my tank at 76.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 1:44am
Oh yeah that makes sense then.  I think how you did it starting with everything dry is the way to go.  No chance of hitchhikers and pests, its a lot cheaper, and if you choose too you can glue your rock structure together dry and then set it in the tank in the exact shape you prefer prior to setting it in the water.

In addition to what I mentioned before I also used 10 gallons of water from my other tank when starting my 55 up, so I bet that sped up the bacterial growth as well.

Not sure what i'm doing right here, but in addition to never getting cyano, i've never had any hair or bubble algae either.  Are these things that have to be introduced into the tank?  Or do they just pop up on their own, like in a system like reefdup's where everything started out dry?
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 5:25am
I also started the 270 with dry rock from BRS. Made the aquascaping very easy. Never had any sign of a cycle. I did put a few pieces of rock from the old tank into the sump and DT. Used a few cups of sand as well. Had a small period of Cyano but it went away quick and 9 months later all my rock is covered in Coraline algae and doing pretty good!
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 10:52am
I have a calcium reactor to maintain calcium and alkalinity as well as magnesium since the media is high in mag and I added some magnesium rocks to the chamber.

I also regularly dose...
Strontium
Molybdenum
Iodine
Iron
Manganese
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic