Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cost/Quality/Quantity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost/Quality/Quantity
    Posted: April 12 2005 at 3:29pm

Hey everyone we need some advise.  A group of us (just a bunch of club members) were discussing this the other day and I thought I'd take a quick poll/suggestion.

Here is the debate regarding guest speakers.  If we bring in 3 regular speakers per year, there is no problem.  Or if we bring in two great speakers per year there is no problem.

If however you would rather see 4 or 5 speakers per year we would have a problem.  One suggestion (which has been coming up for years now) is to charge for some meetings.  We would have to charge $5 for members and $10 for non members to attend a couple big name speaker meetings. 

The questions are as follows-
1) would you like to see more/better guest speakers, even if that meant we had to charge for those meetings OR would you rather have fewer speakers and have the meetings free?
2) would you pay $5 to see a big name speaker, lets say Calfo for example since we just had him? 

Or, do you see some other fundraising opportunity or have other suggestions along these lines.

Thanks

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dschultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dschultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 3:34pm
I would gladly pay an admission fee to attend  "Calfo" grade presentations.

David

--David

Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 3:41pm

I enjoy being a member, but have yet to make it to a meeting.

I would not be opposed to raing the club dues by $5.00

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 4:15pm

I think assessing an admission fee for some higher priced speakers would be a good way to help offset the costs.  It is also a little more fair for the members that don't make it to the meeting.  Would $5 cover it, though?

What about taking donations (as opposed to mandatory admission fees) to cover these speaker's costs?  Where's Jake? He could keep an accounting of the donations.  When there is enough...we bring in another speaker.  The more we donate, the more (or better) guest speakers we can get.  This way visitors can come enjoy the meetings without having to pay.  I like the idea of being able to bring a guest with me, without them having to pay.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
DVadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 4:50pm
Would it be totally rude to have the celebrity meetings free to paid members and $5 or $10 for guests/non-members? My thinking is that we pay the membership for the benifits and IMO meetings are a benifit. This may intice the guests to buy a membership as well. I would not mind uping the cost of membership by $5 to make it easier in the long run, but I think the meetings should be free to paid members.

There has been alot of talk about club finances on the board lately and with income, in general how is the club doing? Are we in danger of folding due to lack of finances?

Edited by DVadar
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 5:27pm

Club funds are doing fine.  Thought I should clear that up.

DVadar- great suggestions.  Okay let me rephrase the question.  What do you all think about charging $5 for non club members for bigtime speakers, but still free for club members?  That is my new question, and probably a better question.

What we are really trying to get at is how many speakers and how often.  If 50 people came to the meeting at each paid $5 that is $250, or basically half the airfare.  So regardless if it is $5, $10, $100 or whatever we charge for members or non members it boils down to "is this what you want?"

I don't have a preference, I'm just trying to gauge how everyone feels so we know what kind of meetings to plan.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 5:56pm

As a presidency member I can say we are NOT going to fold. I'm not involved with the finances, so it would be better if someone addressed the specifics. Regardless, the point is that guest speakers are expensive to bring in. Utah is not a hub for major Hobby/Scientific marine research. We live in a freekin desert that's miles from "Anywhere that's Anywhere". To bring in a speaker we have to pay air fare, hotel, and meals. Each speaker has their own cost associated with bringing them out and varies due to geographic origination, perceived value of the speaker, and even how cool or anal the speaker is.

Our membership dues go to building rental, meeting snacks and the like.  If we relied solely on membership dues to cover speakers and normal meeting expenses, we'd probably have 1 speaker every 2 years. For the most part the club relies on the coral cutting meetings to fund speakers, yet we are limited to the number of those meetings due to the amount of effort that goes into them, and the fund availability of those buying frags.

Adam wants to know if the club A) Wants to maintain status quo and bring in 3-4 guest speakers a year funded mainly by coral cuttings, keeping the meetings free of charge, and the remaining meetings will be hosted/spoken by local members; OR B) Wants a change to having more speakers and thus having us as a club change our funding process.

Me? - $24 a year in support of the club and (extreme scenario) $60 for guest speakers each month is way cheap. (I can blow more than that at the LFS) My first taste of WMAS was with Julian Spring...and I don't remember what I paid...but I did...and it was excellent.

(Posted later than Adam's reply...I'm a fast typer, but a slow former of thoughts)

Edited by GonZo
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 6:46pm

I would gladly pay 5 or 10 to hear first hand from the experts in this field, to me that's cheap for quality advice that will save you money in the long run.

My question is... Do we have to pay to here Adam speak?

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 7:15pm
I'm with Brad, but do we have to hear Adam's jokes
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 7:21pm
tileman...you read my mind....   $ 5.00 each meeting for non members to hear Adam speak. ($10.00 for Jake).($100.00 for Mark)  On the serious side a club member free contributions to a fragfest every other month (even xenia-accepted) all of us will mow the coral garden every other month 1 small farg or algae a piece contribution ....$5.00 entrance fee non-members and whatever the buget will allow all frags sold at discount prices $5 to $15 ea... Those of us that can frag won't cost a dime. We should get a good turnout and lots of cash for speakers. Is there anyone from the Boise (Garff )site out there...they can drive, no airfare. IMO
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 8:54pm

I fear that charging admission will lead to a smaller turnout. $5 or $10 is no big deal to many of us, but others are reefing on a pretty tight budget, which is possibly why they aren't paid members in the first place. I would suggest trying to make more money at the Frag seminars (I have a couple ideas), or possibly having a small fee at the summer barbeque, or maybe selling refreshments at the meetings instead of giving them away. A little bit here and there, adds up and everyone still feels welcome. Just brain-storming of course. What do you think?

Oh, and I think 3 to 4 quality guest speakers is pretty good. If we make it too frequent, it may lose it's "seductive" quality. I also like having our local reef experts share there ideas regularly.

Edited by Jamison
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 9:11pm
Maybe we can have a Saturday night guest speaker...alot of members can't make the meeting because of work or school. I think that would draw a big crowd and lot's of $...it costs more to go to a movie on a sat night. Someone to speak about fish...maybe a LFS owner...most have lot's of input and knowledge to share.

Edited by fisher32
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
dschultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dschultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 9:14pm
I didn't realize we paid to rent the rose garden place. Would it represent a large cost savings to the club if myself (or someone else) donated the  use of their building to have the meetings in?

--David

Robudda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robudda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 10:03pm

Me being new on the boards, new to SW and not being a Member "Yet" (I plan on attending the next meeting and paying the membership fee). So I hope I am not over stepping my bounds with the following statement.

I have been a member of many Groups/Clubs (Car/hobby, etc)some more expensive per year and some much, much more expensive per year. However none offered nearly as much help, advice and guidance to me as this group has in less then 1 week on these boards.

The $24 membership fee is going to save me time, frustration and much money in the long run, and I am sure a mixture of local and  guest speakers would do the same for Newbs like me and those that are much more advanced.

I would be more than willing to pay and extra meeting fee once I am a member to bring in guest speakers.

Rob

reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 11:38pm

Non-member enterance fees... $5-$10 for a "spotlight speaker" is more than fair. Keeping up with the frag fests as is (members pay half advertised cost of corals) is also fair, IMO. Maybe those who are selling in a larger group-type situation can "donate" some of there funds back to the club for their ability to set up "shop", too(kinda like a booth fee). We are getting some very valuable advice from many others, but it's the WMAS that we truly have to give kudos for allowing us to remain as close as we are able to do both at the Rose Garden once a month and on-line 24/7.

Jason

www.captivereefing.com
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 12:52pm

How about making them wear a garter and speaking for tips? Hey, it works in other industries!

Alot of people consider the WMAS meetings a monthly date with their hobby. Heck, it's less $ than a frag and you can't hardly get a Happy Meal at McD's for $5 anymore. I'd say that if the speaker needs to be bought for higher than others and they are certainly worth it then it's a no brainer! Either way the club members will bear the costs and at least you wouldn't need to raise the club fees.

But, will the $ be negitiated up front or will they speak for whatever comes in at the door?

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 3:50pm

How about making them wear a garter and speaking for tips?

The thought of Shimek in a thong.... *shudder*

I suggest we keep our annual dues at $24 and if needs be, charge for some speakers.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 4:12pm

Originally posted by dschultz dschultz wrote:

I didn't realize we paid to rent the rose garden place. Would it represent a large cost savings to the club if myself (or someone else) donated the  use of their building to have the meetings in?

No, not a large savings, but every bit helps.

If you know of a large meeting area where we could meet we are always open for suggestions.

The biggest thing is we don't want to change the place we meet often.  So we like to pick a place and stay with it, but we are quickly outgrowing the location we are in.

Edited by Jake Pehrson
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 9:55pm
First off, we are running out of room where we currently have meetings. If we have meetings with someone like Scott Michael, the small meeting space makes it uncomfortable.

Second, I think 2 Scott Michael caliber speakers per year are great.

Third, we need to be inviting people from the books we read. Joyce Wilkerson, J.Sprung, C.Delbeek, and of course Scott Michael.

Fourth, well I don't have a fourth so I guess I'm done.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 11:37am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I suggest we keep our annual dues at $24 and if needs be, charge for some speakers.

I agree.  This is my vote.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic