Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cost/Quality/Quantity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 12:49pm
Surprising to some, this frag fest brought in more revenue than any other in our history. The club coffer has money in it again.

Here is my 2 cents:

I don't mind paying to hear a speaker. $5 for 100 attendees would pay a little more than half of the average cost to fly in guest speakers, put them up and feed them.

More speakers each year could quickly lose it's appeal, IMO. I very much enjoy hearing from our local club members, on topics of interest, though that may not bring as much interest and attention from the casual meeting goer.

About 4-5 years ago we had a few LFS owners speak. We heard from Doug Young (BWPV), Brad Daniels (The Aquarium) and Jim Young (Incredible Pets). I can't remember if Kris Fidone (Fish-4-U) ever spoke. I'd really like to hear from him, but he says that he doesn't like speaking in front of a large group.

Lastly, I want to thank the WMAS members, formerly guests on this MB, that have felt the tug to open their wallet and pay back a fraction of the money this website and MB has saved them.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 1:47pm
I would totally pay $5 to get in to see more guest speakers/experts.
Calfo was awesome, and I felt like I was ripping someone off by listening
him at no charge.

IMO if you're in this hobby, you can afford the $5 for the occasional
speaker. They don't come for free, so why should we get to enjoy them
for free. (I know we pay our annual membership) But that only covers so
much.

I think it's a great idea!

Come on, $5 is the cost of a cheap frag.

joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 2:21pm

Does the club have anything against showing us the budget?  I would be against giving the authority to the presidency to make that kind of a decision without better knowledge of how the dues are spent.  I like the idea of speakers but only so much. 

There is so much more that could be done in a once per month meeting.  What if you did before/after meeting classes on working with acrylic or electrical and charged a premium for those classes.  The money made to hold those meetings could make the difference if bringing in a special speaker.

I liked the idea mentioned previously of charging non-members for meetings.  I think this would be appropriate as we would accumulate much more money in the way of membership dues if people weren't allowed to freeload.  I would have paid my dues much sooner if I would have been forced to become a member to have the ability to PM on the messageboard.

Just my 2 cents.

Jody Oliverson

"I glue animals to rocks" - Sloth from RC
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 2:37pm

I like Jody's idea.  Is there a way to not show pictures to guests?  I know on some of the 4x4 boards I am on you cannot post pictures without being a paid member.  I think it would hurt more to not be able to view pics without being a member.  That way new people could come and ask questions, get some answers, but I think it is the pictures that everyone loves.

Fax

Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 3:12pm

hmmm... I think this might be drifting away from what I think the club is about.  I think the we should be, for the most part, open to everyone.  Personally I'm happy with the number of guests we bring in (although I'm certainly not against having more... but I like to hear local hobbyists talk too).  And the current formula is working great, imo.  I'm not sure it needs fixing.   As soon as we start to get exclusive, we'll likely drive people away.  It was the friendly open attitude of the club that appealed to me and is why I joined.  If I would have attended the first meeting and been charged $5 to here Jon talk about chemistry, then go home and log on to the message board and find myself excluded from certain info or discussions, I would likely move on to reefcentral and hang out more at the LFS.  I have to believe that most people have personal integrity and if they are getting anything worthwhile from this club then they will pay their dues so the club can continue to exist.  Just my opinion.

This is not say that we couldn't have a couple extra BIG names each year (Sprung, Michaels, Delbeek, Shimek, etc..) and charge nonmembers a little fee to help offset the cost, but to make that practice standard would be wrong.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 3:26pm

I again agree with what Jon said.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 3:36pm

Thanks Jon,

I agree.  I got a kick out of reading Vidar and Star's blog yesterday.  Hearing them go through the difficulties of new tank-dom made me remember sitting in front of my 11 gallon with a flashlight at three AM trying to find these "pods" everyone on the board said I should have. 

Since I've only been to one meeting who am I to even comment on this topic.  One reason for my comment is the fact that I am able to budget a very limited amount of money to my hobbies.  I would appreciate if the presidency of this club was aware that charging me for such a visitor would be stretching me a bit thin.  This is coming from a guy who told his wife he'd like to go to one of the Big shows like MACNA or IMAC.  I don't know that our local club needs to bring these big time speakers in on a regular basis in order to keep me satisfied.  I can read, beyond my own reading, trial and error, I hope that this club will provide me with resources like Adam, Jake, Mark, Jon, etc.  People I can PM or visit with at a meeting to make my hobby expirience go further.  Sure a visit from a guy like Calfo is amazing but I'm still in awe of Eric, Kris, Randy and those mentioned above.

I could say more...

Jody

"I glue animals to rocks" - Sloth from RC
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 5:38pm

This has all been very helpful.  THANKS

As for funds.  We don't hide any of that.  We sit with around $2,000 in the bank.  We typically make around $1,500 from a cutting seminar.  Average cost to bring in a speaker is $700.  We pay around $100 each meeting in rent and refreshments and the like.  Then we have a couple $200-$400 costs like Reef Tour advertising and Tank of the Month plaques and the sound system and powerpoint projector. 

Personally I don't like bringing speakers in because they are a lot of work and a lot of money.  I don't like the work involved, but I like having them here.  The money isn't my money, but I want to make sure the club doesn't need something else instead.  But I'm happy to bring them in if that is what people want to do.  I'm just sitting at the helm trying to steer the ship wherever you all tell me to go.

Summed Up---- So it sounds like we are fine with $24 per year in membership.  We are fine with the status quo.  We like the idea of bringing in a big speaker or two per year, even if it means we have to charge $5-$10 for members or for guests only.  We'd prefer meetings free to all, but aren't against the cost.  Jody and Mark and others like listening to local speakers.  But then again some of us are certainly experienced enough that we only care to hear big names or cutting edge speakers to begin with.

Please keep sharing input and ideas

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 5:40pm

This is coming from a guy who told his wife he'd like to go to one of the Big shows like MACNA or IMAC

Tell me why you want to go, and I'll do my best to tell you which is better for you.

Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

But then again some of us are certainly experienced enough that we only care to hear big names or cutting edge speakers to begin with.
Adam, when it comes to speakers, I for one, consider you and Jake and Jon well worth the money spent to bring y'all in.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 12:04pm

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Adam, when it comes to speakers, I for one, consider you and Jake and Jon well worth the money spent to bring y'all in.

True, but you probably also think AOL disks are worth the money.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 12:10pm

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Adam, when it comes to speakers, I for one, consider you and Jake and Jon well worth the money spent to bring y'all in. [/QUOTE]

Amen Mark! A couple high profile fish nerds a year is just fine with me. I usually get just as much great info from our local gurus as I do from the Shimek's and Calfo's (though I admit they are fun to listen to).

Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 12:20pm

Mark-
Are you trying to say that when Jake and I give presentations you are getting what you paid for?  If so, I agree.

Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 12:45pm
I love you guys.
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by fj40fax fj40fax wrote:

I like Jody's idea.  Is there a way to not show pictures
to guests?  I know on some of the 4x4 boards I am on you cannot post
pictures without being a paid member.  I think it would hurt more to not
be able to view pics without being a member.  That way new people could
come and ask questions, get some answers, but I think it is the pictures
that everyone loves.

Fax

Ignorance is bliss... if you don't know what you're missing, you won't
really care...

I think for the most part everyone who uses the club will become a
member. It took me 3 months, but I felt it was more than worth it to
support the club. I'm a humanist, I believe people are basically good, and
will pay their dues, and not take advantage.

I don't think any restructuring on the sites end is necessary. (cutting
access etc.) Part of the reason I became a member or atleast stayed
around the site was because I could PM and get help basically on demand.
After doing that long enough I found it was my time to pay back for all
the helpful info I'd received.

I do like the idea of workshops though. Acrylic work, and other DIY
workshops would be great, and a great way to raise money in addition to
the frag fests.

Have someone who built their own kalk reactor, calcium reactor, skimmer
etc. come in w/ supplies, and build one there. I know not all tools will be
available, but you could use a power point presentation to show the steps
that couldn't be completed at the meeting. (ie baking to mold acrylic etc.)

But have the final assembly, and end product there explain how it works,
why it works, cost breakdown etc.

Charge for these meetings, maybe even have kits available all the tubing,
acrylic etc. in the right dimensions available for attendees for whatever
the cost of the materials is, plus a fair percentage. Then they can go
home and build their own, or maybe build it there.

just a thought.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 3:09pm

Originally posted by Xacttech Xacttech wrote:

I do like the idea of workshops though. Acrylic work, and other DIY
workshops would be great, and a great way to raise money in addition to
the frag fests.
just a thought.

We just did this not to long ago.

Shane and Jon showed us how to make a kalk reactor, showed us some acrylic work, and had a really nice powerpoint.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 4:37pm

I was thinking along the lines of what Jake just said.  Those suggestions sound just like notes from the meetings.  I don't think charging for a workshop like that would work, considering people could just come and learn that for free from our meetings.

I think this is why when pet stores try to teach a class or workshop no one cares, no one comes, and no one pays. 

Adam

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2005 at 7:22pm
Hey you guys can't forget the money made when a guest speaker comes bearing gifts. One of my fav. things about the big name speakers is that they typically bring really great gifts that we raffle off.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 4:58pm

I would gladly pay $5 at the door to hear another speaker (like Calfo), but at that point I think that maybe we should forgo our clubs regular activities (tank of the month) or extend the amount of time the speaker can actually talk.  I was riveted and on the edge of my seat (there is definately something wrong with me) with Anthony's presentation and would have appreciated hearing every word and not be 'rushed' through the end of his presentation.  I know we have time limitations but if we 'pay' at the door people (like me) will expect to hear all of what the speaker has to say and not be cut off.

Bringing in a couple of big names a year would be fine.  Too many and it begins to infringe on what this club is accomplishing or (I think) is about.  I have learned more from people on the board than from Anthony, so I feel that although it is great and impressive to bring in these people we can't forget what this club is about.  No restrictions, understanding there aren't any dumb questions and so many people who are willing to help!

I could go on but...

John

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 6:48pm

John,
Thanks for bringing this up again.  I'll address something here because I'm intrigued by what you said...
I know we have time limitations but if we 'pay' at the door people (like me) will expect to hear all of what the speaker has to say and not be cut off.
That is very different from the what the Presidency has tried to do.  We in fact are always trying to get the speakers to say less.  A very large percentage of the meeting attendees want to come, listen for an hour, and then get out of Dodge.  For those who do want to hear more I always plug and promote coming to dinner.  Most people are tired of hearing me talk about it every single month.  But hey Calfo was there until 1am so people had plenty of time to listen to him and ask questions.

Also, I should mention that we are always restricting our speakers time because we have had far too many speakers bore the crowd.  We've maybe had a couple that you wish you could hear more from, but we've had several that put some people to sleep in the back of the room.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic