Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggest BEST Return pump for 120

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggest BEST Return pump for 120
    Posted: January 28 2013 at 3:12pm
Okay so I just bought a 120 and would like to know what pump you guys recommend.... I want something that is quite and don't care if it is internal or external.  I currently have and iwaiki 750 on my 65 and i feel like it is a bit loud...maybe internal would be more quite? Please give me your experience with different pumps for this size of tank.  Thanks
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 4:50pm
ATB Flowstar 1500. Not cheap but by far the most quiet return pump you will find, and one of the best pumps you can find. Second to that I would say Sicce Syncra line.

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - January 28 2013 at 4:50pm
Premium aquarium filtration!
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 4:55pm
Or if you want flow control the new Waveline DC pumps are pretty cool. Just ordered one for my new tank, if I didn't buy this pump I would have gone ATB flowstar hands down.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 5:01pm
I have a 150g, and I wanted a small, internal, quiet pump that wouldn't kill my electric bill. I went with the Eheim 1262. It only puts out 900GPH, but I think the tradeoffs were worth it for me. Great pump...and I'll never go back to Mag pumps even though they cost less.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 5:11pm
I hate Mag pumps so loud no matter what you do! I love the quiet one line of pumps.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 5:23pm
Wave line is neat....tell me what the perks of having flow control??? do you turn the flow down at night, during different times of the day for feeding???  just curious....they really are not to expensive for comparable pumps as far as what I can see.

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 5:59pm
The Waveline have several perks. Very low watts is at the top for me, I went with the DC3000 as my new tank is only going to be 60 gallons but it will do 900GPH and at full flow but only consumes 40 watts. The DC5000 will do 1320GPH and also only consumes 40 watts at full flow. You won't see that low of wattage on ac pumps. The flow control is nice because you can fine tune the flow to your tanks needs, it also has a feed mode. They also don't go full rpms as soon as you plug them in or turn them on, they ramp up to speed slowly which is better on your impeller.Smile You are going to start seeing TONS of skimmers with these pumps. They are already making their way into almost every skimmer already, ATB, RLSS, Bubble King, Reef Octopus.. just to name a fewWink I think DC is going to be used more and more in the future.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 6:04pm
Here is a video of the DC5000 and DC10000 for ya. 

Also the ceramic shafts on these pumps are HUGE, you won't have to worry about them breaking on you like other pumps.

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - January 28 2013 at 6:05pm
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 11:15pm
The Reeflow Blow hole would be a great choice super Quite as well as super compact, It also has a switch which has 3 settings you can vary the pressure. Great pump for the money i am running this on my frag system and you can ask anyone who has seen it how dead quite it is 

Edited by Aquarium Creations - January 28 2013 at 11:16pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

justundrake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justundrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Aquarium Creations Aquarium Creations wrote:

The Reeflow Blow hole would be a great choice super Quite as well as super compact, It also has a switch which has 3 settings you can vary the pressure. Great pump for the money i am running this on my frag system and you can ask anyone who has seen it how dead quite it is 

I bought a bh1450 from eric. Its super quite and the switch is the ****. Hands down best. I also have a 120
120g rimless-AQUARIUM CREATIONS
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:42am
The Blowhole pumps are nice, but for a typical sump under a tank you really don't need that kind of pressure pump. The Waveline will do that same gph at 1/3 of the power consumption as the blowhole which saves you $$$ each month.
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 10:33am
Originally posted by justundrake justundrake wrote:

I bought a bh1450 from eric. Its super quite and the switch is the ****. Hands down best. I also have a 120

+ 1. I have the BlowHole and it's awesome. It's night and day from what i have before (little giant).

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:16am
I think the blowhole is better build and comes with union connectors, I have seen the Waveline DC 5000 which is also quite but a few draw backs, I like solvent connections not a big fan of barb/hose clamp connections. 
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justundrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:19am
Unions are awesome. I hate clamps
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:21am

I think the blowhole is better build and comes with union connectors, I have seen the <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Waveline DC 5000 which is also quite but a few draw backs, I like solvent connections not a big fan of barb/hose clamp connections. </span>

Yeah I Like solid piping so there Is no chance of it popping off. I had a soft tube on my UV sterilizer on my last tank it popped off and sprayed all my power strips. after a moment of painful electrocution I never went back to soft piping.lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justundrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Ryanscott Ryanscott wrote:

I think the blowhole is better build and comes with union connectors, I have seen the <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Waveline DC 5000 which is also quite but a few draw backs, I like solvent connections not a big fan of barb/hose clamp connections. </span>

Yeah I Like solid piping so there Is no chance of it popping off. I had a soft tube on my UV sterilizer on my last tank it popped off and sprayed all my power strips. after a moment of painful electrocution I never went back to soft piping.lol

I remember that. Lol. Never again

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:32am
The output on the Waveline is 1.25" mnpt which is very common, you can find fittings at any hardware store to make it a slip joint for solvent welding. But I personally am not a fan of hard mounting a pump to a sump (unless you are going external) as it just makes the noise resonate off the body of the sump. A barb and soft silicone coupling isolate the vibrate to just the pump itself. It just depends how quiet you are trying to get it, when I do them that way they are very quiet.

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - January 29 2013 at 11:35am
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:34am
If you use spa flex you can solvent weld and isolate the noise as well, I didn't realize that pump was threaded,  There is no wrong way really just different ways and methods 

Edited by Aquarium Creations - January 29 2013 at 11:47am
[email protected]

Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 2:20am
Eric (aquarium creations) recommended a reeflo blowhole pump. i installed it yesterday and it is very quiet. there is absolutely no noise and its very compact. i love the pump!
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 2:37am
Glad you got it on and fixed
[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic