Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BrentD's RSM 250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BrentD's RSM 250
    Posted: January 28 2013 at 5:21pm
After 5 years of Reef Keeping, I have finally decided to start a thread for my tank.  I hope that my experiences will help others, and answer a few questions, especially about the Red Sea Max 250.  I will be posting pictures of the tank itself and its contents.
Here is a pic of one of my beauty's, Red Master Scolymia.

Best,

Brent
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 9:38pm
I love that picture.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 10:13pm
What is this, two days and no updates? what gives =)?
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 10:25pm
Had to order a new charger for my computer, all my tank mod pics are on there, pics will come soon!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 11:40pm
This thread does not deliver!
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

This thread does not deliver!

LOL. This thread is amateur at best so far. Starting to wonder if this is an imaginary tank.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 7:21am
I mean it is cool that Brent posts pics of Scoly's from ebay sales and things, but this forum is more about people who have tanks. 

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 2:32pm
UPDATES...?!

BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 3:29pm

My current setup has been running since December 2011.  Previous to that i had some issues with corals melting and fish dying for no apparent reason (Now I know why).  So on this tank thread i'm only going to show my current tank, modifications, aquascape (thanks to vida rock), and livestock.  The RSM 250 requires a chiller!  Many corals died in my old setup because I didn't have a chiller and temp fluctuations were drastic.  At that time, my heater was set to 76 degrees, but during the day, the lights would heat the water nearly 10 degrees warmer.  At the time, I had no controller to show me the fluctuations.  I would just periodically check the temperature manually, and really never thought it was a problem until thousands in corals started melting.  I understand that corals can live in warmer water, but the 10 degree fluctuations, compounded by other inconsistencies in water parameters led to the demise of many beautiful corals that i wish I still had today.  I also had plagues of tube worms...thousands of them....in my sand bed.  The environment I had created was setup perfectly for mass reproduction of tube worms.  From the live rock, I had also brought in flatworms, and large bristle-worms.  So when I decided to gut my tank, I wanted to start dry.  No live rock.  No live sand.  Nothing alive.

Edited by BrentD - January 31 2013 at 3:30pm
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 3:32pm
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 3:35pm

Oceanic 1/8 HP Chiller
Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer

If you have an RSM 250, the chiller is a MUST!!!  And the sterilizer is a good idea as well.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 3:38pm
Thanks.  I am actually not happy with the live rock pests in my tank.  I want to go with all dry rock and dry sand in my new system.  Where did you buy all of yours?
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 3:41pm
I bought the Vida Rock Pieces and the Sand from The Aquarium in Sandy.  I also purchased the UV and the Chiller there.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 2:12am
ok cool.  Thanks for that info. 
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:53pm
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:53pm
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 1:09am
Nice shots!  

Question, some people I have noticed keep their Scholemias in shaded sections of the tank, while others keep them in direct light.  Which do they prefer?  What other coral do they most resemble?
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 6:39pm
So my friends have encouraged me to post more to my thread.  I hate taking full tank shots because most of my acros are so small right now and there is so much space to be filled in that it seems like I don't have any coral in my tank in pics.  Anyway, I guess that is what a tank thread is about, to see the progression of corals etc.  I will show some pics of some mods that I have added over the last year, i.e., a sump/refugium, and a bubble magnus dosing pump.
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 6:45pm
Here is a pic of the fuge side, I've been thinking about striping out the chaeto, adding a better light setup and having it just be a place for frags, anyone have any suggestions?  The Chaeto doesn't grow, Phosphate is easy to control in my tank with weekly water changes and controlled feeding.
This is how it looks now.  I wanted a Sump setup on my RSM so that I could have a place to automatically dose Cal/Alk/Mag and have more water volume, among other advantages.
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 6:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic